• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

I have to ask, can you ever think of a time when a storm has caved to the UKMET? I know it has good verification scores, but I can only think of multiple times where it's been an outlier and the last to cave.
In the old days it had a suppression bias - I remember it being the first model to track the Dec 2010 storm farther south. About 4-5 years ago it got some upgrades, and it went on a bit of a heater where it had some good wins. In the past few years though, it has had more misses than hits in my view

In the old days it had a suppression bias - I remember it being the first model to track the Dec 2010 storm farther south. About 4-5 years ago it got some upgrades, and it went on a bit of a heater where it had some good wins. In the past few years though, it has had more misses than hits in my view
Still waiting on my 19 degree ice storm it showed for 4 runs from it in Feb 2021 ??

12z UKMET is going with a massive cutter in the central U.S. I would say don’t shoot the messenger, but, there really is no way that you can shoot me
that gfs run was a splendid high but i think people are savvy and seasoned enough here to know that there's still a full tacklebox of possibilities on the table with this thing 200 hours out. i think that where the trough (that thing is way too stout and strong to limit to calling a "shortwave" lol) will continue to ping around, jackpotting us, jackpotting chicago one run, then maybe memphis another, i would go ahead and bake in some disappointment because there's nowhere to go but down after that run lol. not meant to be dour post, i'm actually very optimistic, but i don't think the dec 23 storm is "ours" by any means

I have to ask, can you ever think of a time when a storm has caved to the UKMET? I know it has good verification scores, but I can only think of multiple times where it's been an outlier and the last to cave.
ukmet absolutely crushed irma, consistently the southernmost model while others brought it into miami if i remember correctly, i also think it was one of the first globals to pick up on more precip with the pixiedust storm last year. it's a good model, often foreshadows the euro, and the reason it doesn't get highlighted more is that it's just way less accessible than other models

There was a time when,
If the Euro & UK was in lockstep with each other it was pretty solid.
Things may have changed.
Let's hope the Euro is closer to the GFS.

Multiple rounds of high pressure in the 1050s and 1040s dropping into the middle of the country. You want big snowstorms in the SE, that's a HUGE ingredient in recipe. What a site to see!
This is how the ice age begins. Starts doing this and doesn't stop, lol. I'm ready, I have cords of wood cut and my sleds ready. Got some studded snow tires, and a Mavic 3 drone that I can't wait to fly over a new snow pack. I don't have a mastodon pelt, but that might be possible a few years into the ice age. And I'm still holding out hope for some sleet from the 18th moisture underneath to put down a nice base of stick around for a long time for my foot of snow.

1671494400-yxqikrwDaFs.png

Euro looks better honestly. Ridge building in faster than even the GFS.

Back