• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

I’m trying to spin through the Rolodex in my head of past weather events and I cannot remember the last time we had sub 510DM heights in NC like the 0z euro showed.

The only one off the top of my head is December 1989 if I’m recalling correctly.

BullCity - you know I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. I can't think of any example where they were that low. Probably the closest example from an overall look / strength where the wave is diving down from the NW would be your favorite storm, Jan 2003. That one has heights in the 510 to 516 range in VA (1st image).

Others shown: Jan 1977 (cold outbreak), Jan 1985 (cold outbreak), Superstorm 1993

Last one is Dec 1989: great storm, but heights weren't terribly low

mfKiGjJ.gif

roQCko2.gif

iLup4yP.gif

NUWvwgs.gif

O6NC88L.gif

BullCity - you know I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. I can't think of any example where they were that low. Probably the closest example from an overall look / strength where the wave is diving down from the NW would be your favorite storm, Jan 2003. That one has heights in the 510 to 516 range in VA (1st image).

Others shown: Jan 1977 (cold outbreak), Jan 1985 (cold outbreak), Superstorm 1993

mfKiGjJ.gif

roQCko2.gif

iLup4yP.gif

NUWvwgs.gif

O6NC88L.gif
Thanks! If I was to guess, I would've guessed 1/03. I still remember ACWeather from WWBB telling us it was going to happen that night.

mfKiGjJ.gif

roQCko2.gif

iLup4yP.gif

NUWvwgs.gif

O6NC88L.gif
That January 2003 storm diving down from the nw Nebraska is a super rare track for us to get snow in the southeast as you well know. I was forecasted to get 2 inches at the most and ended up getting 13 inches out of that storm. Insane snow bands set up that night just east of the mountains in the foothills and piedmont and hammered us from midnight to 10am the next morning. One of my favorites of all time and never seen one drop that much snow from that trajectory before or ever since.

That January 2003 storm diving down from the nw Nebraska is a super rare track for us to get snow in the southeast as you well know. I was forecasted to get 2 inches at the most and ended up getting 13 inches out of that storm. Insane snow bands set up that night just east of the mountains in the foothills and piedmont and hammered us from midnight to 10am the next morning. One of my favorites of all time and never seen one drop that much snow from that trajectory before or ever since.
The reason for it was because of a small mesolow that developed near GSP that none of the models pick up on until it was within timing of the short range models of the time. I remember the NWS GSP in their discussion calling it the “fly in the ointment” when it started showing up

Other than Jan 2003, the best one I know of that dropped down from the NW in Manitoba Mauler style was this one from Jan 1965. I better get out of here, it's GFS posting time

7sk1Dnz.png

The reason for it was because of a small mesolow that developed near GSP that none of the models pick up on until it was within timing of the short range models of the time. I remember the NWS GSP in their discussion calling it the “fly in the ointment” when it started showing up
Your exactly right. I do remember GSP talking about that now. Good stuff.

Back