• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

This pattern has legit big dog potential around-just after Christmas.

The overall window in/around the Holidays-last week of Dec has certainly felt about right to me from a large-scale perspective & certainly fits in general with the prototypical La Nina winter evolution, as well as the analogs that have been discussed for a few weeks now (e.g. Dec 2010)

Big arctic cold front comes down in the days prior, firmly establishing a nice, deep-layer cold air mass & suppressing the baroclinic zone to the coastal SE & E Coast, where a trailing wave can take advantage + throw moisture back into the cold air. -NAO downstream slows the wave down & encourages it to cyclonically break/amplify underneath >> strengthening any would-be winter storm, while the +PNA helps suppress the storm track down into the southeastern US.

Today's 12z EPS & 12z GEFS means show a classic Miller A/coastal cyclone snowstorm look in the Carolinas, w/ the mean trough anchored in/around the TN Valley, west-based -NAO, & +PNA. Heck, we even have the ridge north of Alaska like the composite does.

Color me impressed.

Another intriguing climatological tendency I've noticed in reanalyzing storms like this, in the absence of a strong (often El Nino-induced subtropical jet) to increase available eddy potential energy (& strengthen + tuck in the low even closer to the coast >> allowing warm noses aloft to change snow to rain for those in Piedmont & Coastal Plain), these Nina Miller A storms tend to be historically kinder to folks around RDU & points east in the coastal plain & eastern piedmont of NC.

Fj9pO6oaAAA6xk-

Fj-KF6KakAEm610

Fj9pTAGaYAAkaVM

We’re really gonna need to watch for any sort of weak wave moving along the Gulf Coast during this timeframe. With that type of airmass moving into place, it wouldn’t take much to produce a light overrunning event with high ratios.

I guess I need to get my heat fixed in my Truck before Christmas weekend? That’s bitter.

This pattern has legit big dog potential around-just after Christmas.

The overall window in/around the Holidays-last week of Dec has certainly felt about right to me from a large-scale perspective & certainly fits in general with the prototypical La Nina winter evolution, as well as the analogs that have been discussed for a few weeks now (e.g. Dec 2010)

Big arctic cold front comes down in the days prior, firmly establishing a nice, deep-layer cold air mass & suppressing the baroclinic zone to the coastal SE & E Coast, where a trailing wave can take advantage + throw moisture back into the cold air. -NAO downstream slows the wave down & encourages it to cyclonically break/amplify underneath >> strengthening any would-be winter storm, while the +PNA helps suppress the storm track down into the southeastern US.

Today's 12z EPS & 12z GEFS means show a classic Miller A/coastal cyclone snowstorm look in the Carolinas, w/ the mean trough anchored in/around the TN Valley, west-based -NAO, & +PNA. Heck, we even have the ridge north of Alaska like the composite does.

Color me impressed.

Another intriguing climatological tendency I've noticed in reanalyzing storms like this, in the absence of a strong (often El Nino-induced subtropical jet) to increase available eddy potential energy (& strengthen + tuck in the low even closer to the coast >> allowing warm noses aloft to change snow to rain for those in Piedmont & Coastal Plain), these Nina Miller A storms tend to be historically kinder to folks around RDU & points east in the coastal plain & eastern piedmont of NC.

Fj9pO6oaAAA6xk-

Fj-KF6KakAEm610

Fj9pTAGaYAAkaVM
Definitely looks intriguing. Hate to be that guy who brings up January 88, but I’m old and nostalgic. Is this in any of the analogs? I believe it also had a strong -EPO with cross polar flow, although probably not as much -NAO. It featured a very weak low with mostly baroclinic lift along the arctic front if I remember correctly.

Back