• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

A few thoughts on the pattern ahead...

On the EPS, the 1st ridge goes up in the western Aleutian Islands here beginning at hour 24...

qQ85nIK.gif

At hour 24 when that 1st ridge goes up, the Pacific Jet speed max is along and just off the E Asia coast, and its endpoint is along 180 deg (the Dateline)...

srwq1o7.png

The 2nd ridge goes up in the eastern Gulf of Alaska here beginning at hour 156 (this is the ridge that kicks the SW Canada PV southeast - if modeled correctly)

ksJi0g4.gif

At hour 156 when that 2nd ridge goes up, the Pac Jet speed max is now located in the western Pacific, and its endpoint is along 160 deg W (Hawaii longitude), which is an optimal location for -EPO / +PNA ridging...

BPI3Klc.png

In terms of mechanisms for extending the jet, we have tropical forcing moving east out of the Indian Ocean and toward the W Pac. You can see here how the Pac jet is currently in the process of extending (Dec 9 to Dec 14 shown)...

JjUwhcs.gif

And this should continue as the tropical forcing moves further east into the W Pac, as seen here...Week 2 for Dec 22-28 is at the bottom...

nbho75h.png

We also have a significant +EAsiaMtnTorq event that will occur in the next few days as strong high pressure descends into SE Asia. This process will also aid in extending the Pac Jet 1-3 weeks later (i.e. Dec 24 - Jan 14)…

5Ookjdo.gif

So, going forward, we have mechanisms in place to extend the Pac Jet to a location that fosters -EPO / +PNA ridging.

The fail scenario that I am personally watching for is that the jet eventually overextends and we end up with ridging in the Western and Central U.S. with cold anomalies confined to the far NE and Mid-Atlantic coast (this is what happened in early Jan last year before the jet retracted a bit and the storm hit the SC Upstate well).

The other fail scenario of the Pac Jet not extending enough, and we get troughs dumping into the U.S. West is less likely IMO as we move into Christmas and the 1st week of Jan.

But the broader point goes like this.....

If you are a golfer and you never practice, and you then go out and play, you can't get mad when you don't shoot even par. Same thing applies here....if the Pac Jet has yet to extend, it's not logical to get mad / disappointed for seeing ridging going up out west that isn't in a favorable location for central and eastern U.S. troughing and colder temperatures

Last edited:

On the EPS, the 1st ridge goes up in the western Aleutian Islands here beginning at hour 24...

qQ85nIK.gif

At hour 24 when that 1st ridge goes up, the Pacific Jet speed max is along and just off the E Asia coast, and its endpoint is along 180 deg (the Dateline)...

srwq1o7.png

The 2nd ridge goes up in the eastern Gulf of Alaska here beginning at hour 156 (this is the ridge that kicks the SW Canada PV southeast - if modeled correctly)

ksJi0g4.gif

At hour 156 when that 2nd ridge goes up, the Pac Jet speed max is now located in the western Pacific, and its endpoint is along 160 deg W (Hawaii longitude), which is an optimal location for +EPO / +PNA ridging...

BPI3Klc.png

In terms of mechanisms for extending the jet, we have tropical forcing moving east out of the Indian Ocean and toward the W Pac. You can see here how the Pac jet is currently in the process of extending (Dec 9 to Dec 14 shown)...

JjUwhcs.gif

And this should continue as the tropical forcing moves further east into the W Pac, as seen here...Week 2 for Dec 22-28 is at the bottom...

nbho75h.png

We also have a significant +EAsiaMtnTorq event that will occur in the next few days as strong high pressure descends into SE Asia. This process will also aid in extending the Pac Jet 1-3 weeks later (i.e. Dec 24 - Jan 7)...

5Ookjdo.gif

So, going forward, we have mechanisms in place to extend the Pac Jet to a location that fosters -EPO / +PNA ridging.

The fail scenario that I am personally watching for is that the jet eventually overextends and we end up with ridging in the Western and Central U.S. with cold anomalies confined to the far NE and Mid-Atlantic coast (this is what happened in early Jan last year before the jet retracted a bit and the storm hit the SC Upstate well).

The other fail scenario of the Pac Jet not extending enough, and we get troughs dumping into the U.S. West is less likely IMO as we move into Christmas and the 1st week of Jan.

If you are a golfer and you never practice, and you then go out and play, you can't get mad when you don't shoot even par. Same thing applies here....if the Pac Jet has yet to extend, it's not logical to get mad / disappointed for seeing ridging going up out west that isn't in a favorable location for central and eastern U.S. troughing and colder temperatures
Thank you for this. Great breakdown!!

qQ85nIK.gif

srwq1o7.png

ksJi0g4.gif

At hour 156 when that 2nd ridge goes up, the Pac Jet speed max is now located in the western Pacific, and its endpoint is along 160 deg W (Hawaii longitude), which is an optimal location for +EPO / +PNA ridging...

BPI3Klc.png

JjUwhcs.gif

nbho75h.png

We also have a significant +EAsiaMtnTorq event that will occur in the next few days as strong high pressure descends into SE Asia. This process will also aid in extending the Pac Jet 1-3 weeks later (i.e. Dec 24 - Jan 7)...

5Ookjdo.gif

Really appreciate the effort you put into this - very informative!

I think we have signals out there for a couple timeframes, but as you've seen there's improvement on the models showing up in the day 3-6 range even right now. I have a suspicion that we won't start seeing legit trend run by run storms show up until we are under 150 hours. Hopefully we can land one of these things and as it stands now, there's a legit chance at that over the next 2 weeks.

And a completely different look than the other models in terms of ridging out west.. I’ve always believed as we get closer we will see more of this ridge building out west than the other models are showing right now. (Kind of like the trend we saw last winter) obviously like grit said we don’t want this sliding too far east but at this juncture I like what I see. I expect other models to bring up that ridge with time. 5BBC6C7E-3B7D-4C96-9717-AD2ED12582DE.jpeg6ADE859A-18EE-47CA-87F1-A76B9EE2671B.jpegD129FF18-2EA3-4C10-B019-044C6DFCD154.jpeg6A22A2E8-72E7-455F-952D-4CA96D509475.jpeg

Yep, good call by Ollie on this one, just a lakes vortex so it has a higher then average chance of shearing out, even tho setups like that have worked in the past, no true cold air with this either
The 18th system has always been more of an N. Ala/N. Ga. hope and a prayer thing. The key player to watch is the Great Lakes vortex's position and orientation. A little further NW opens the door for a little more moisture, but too much and it's just sprinkles.

Back