• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Pretty obvious where this is going now.

View attachment 126050
Just can't seem to get this into the southeast though. The overall trend is obvious but still wrestling with how far into the southeast this can penetrate into meaningful cold for true winter weather. That seems to be the wobble from my untrained eye

Just curious, does anyone have access to the upper level archives to Christmas eve 1983? I wonder how this would compare....83" was supposed to be the coldest Christmas on record for the continental US.

Just curious, does anyone have access to the upper level archives to Christmas eve 1983? I wonder how this would compare....83" was supposed to be the coldest Christmas on record for the continental US.
Here was the pattern surrounding Christmas '83 when compared to the LR EPS. Some noticeable similarities between the strong -NAO and +PNA. However, this pattern has a -NAO, but less of a SE Canada Vortex.
compday.fOzkRndWef.gifecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_7day-2185600.png

If we were going in a bad direction, you would think the ensemble mean would be either going in a worse direction or holding the line....but it's improving here on Dec 20th. I especially like the slight improvement with the -NAO placement. This is the GEFS Mean, last 5 runs

8WKsm5C.gif

If we were going in a bad direction, you would think the ensemble mean would be either going in a worse direction or holding the line....but it's improving here on Dec 20th. I especially like the slight improvement with the -NAO placement. This is the GEFS Mean, last 5 runs

8WKsm5C.gif
Notice the faster the cutoff ridge occurs on the trend/faster it disconnects from the higher heights in the GOA, the quicker the TPV moves out. That’s key since the cutoff ridge has flow sped up underneath, then the pac trough does it’s job pumping heights out west

Back