• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

the storm the gave nashville 8 inches of snow last year or something like that was high clouds in the models like 4 days out. i think about that basically every time there's a shortwave hanging around in the 3/5 day range
When I was a kid I remember John Cessarich at WYFF4 made a late call on a low coming out of the gulf 24-48 hours before it happened. We got several inches. Different times I know.

the storm the gave nashville 8 inches of snow last year or something like that was high clouds in the models like 4 days out. i think about that basically every time there's a shortwave hanging around in the 3/5 day range
I can remember plenty of southern sliders over the years that my area was forecasted to be dry 3-4 days out but ended up getting a decent snowfall. February 2010 was probably the best example as it was forecasted a slight chance of flurries 24 hours prior and ended up with 5” of snow

This is the second iteration of this graph

From the 00z runs last night, here is the percentage of members with a winter storm (snow or ice) in the blue area on the map (2nd image).

I changed it to express the numbers as a percentage since each ensemble has a different number of members (10 of 30 hits on GEFS is 33% hit rate / 10 of 50 hits on EPS is 20% hit rate). It doesn't effect the % for the total (black line) because it just so happens that we have 100 total ensemble members

qjm7MlO.png

vAyeaGN.png

Reminders:
1. I didn't count upslope snow in the mountains
2. I didn't count rain storms that ended as some snow
3. I didn't count weak storms with skiffs of snow
4. I didn't count the operational or control runs in the total
5. If a storm spanned multiple days or time periods, I only counted it once
. What was the Black line yesterday when you 1st introduced this to us? Did it increase or decrease for the dates 12/20-12/25. Thats a great metric to observe. Thank you for sharing

Big high pressure sliding down the Rockies. This is the tablesetter if you’re holding out hope for a Christmas storm. I don’t know how much more any of us can ask for. This gives everyone in America a fighting chance at a white Christmas.

Back