• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

I believe this massive storm system in the middle of the country is going to have to clear before we really get an idea of the evolution in which the models will come to a consensus.
Yeah I agree along with the upcoming pattern change the models are trying there best to work it out. But this system this week will have implications going forward.

While we wait on the 12Z big dogs, this is a rather interesting start for the 18th system if extrapolated.
namconus_z500_vort_us_51.png

Man, all I'm starting to see lately are ice/sleet threats.

Maybe I'm dumb though, idk.
Not dumb at all… to me any system in the 18-20th timeframe screams as something that could trend to ice/sleet in the western/central Carolinas and NE GA. Better snowpack in the northeast after this week’s storm and a set up that definitely argues for strong CAD with a shallow cold air mass moving in place. Remember we’re still at a time where globals are gonna have a hard time picking up CAD potential.

pretty nice jolt on the icon so far, need to dust off the part of my brain that handles the "extrapolating the icon at 10:30 am" executive functioning but a s/w with more separation is probably a good thing icon_z500_vort_us_fh93_trend (1).gif
edit - ok lol this is not the d8 system but the one before it, still makes me think that appetizer system has room for some shifts north

pretty nice jolt on the icon so far, need to dust off the part of my brain that handles the "extrapolating the icon at 10:30 am" executive functioning but a s/w with more separation is probably a good thing View attachment 126035
Definitely digging the energy better in the southwest and it looks like a better cold push coming down on the Great Lakes.

This is the second iteration of this graph

From the 00z runs last night, here is the percentage of members with a winter storm (snow or ice) in the blue area on the map (2nd image).

I changed it to express the numbers as a percentage since each ensemble has a different number of members (10 of 30 hits on GEFS is 33% hit rate / 10 of 50 hits on EPS is 20% hit rate). It doesn't effect the % for the total (black line) because it just so happens that we have 100 total ensemble members

qjm7MlO.png

vAyeaGN.png

Reminders:
1. I didn't count upslope snow in the mountains
2. I didn't count rain storms that ended as some snow
3. I didn't count weak storms with skiffs of snow
4. I didn't count the operational or control runs in the total
5. If a storm spanned multiple days or time periods, I only counted it once

pretty nice jolt on the icon so far, need to dust off the part of my brain that handles the "extrapolating the icon at 10:30 am" executive functioning but a s/w with more separation is probably a good thing View attachment 126035
edit - ok lol this is not the d8 system but the one before it, still makes me think that appetizer system has room for some shifts north
One thing I’ve learned over the years is never throw away the first system, it may be the only one you get.

Back