• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Grit with the quote of the day:
"We keep setting the table but are we ever gonna get to eat":: LOL, my thoughts exactly. Hopefully this week of Christmas and week after Start Time doesn't get kicked down the road any futher.
I was just translating the Cold Rain vibe, I'm good with the pattern, haha. CR always remains balanced, we need that

models rushed the -NAO and its associated change but it’s happening, models rushed the pacific change but imho with the progression I still think It happens, models just being models, pattern changes are always rushed. Even last Dec-Jan’s progression was rushed.

I remember this as models were all predicting a block around New Years but it didn’t come until around the 13th right before our storm on the 16th. It seems like they are off on pattern changes by 2-3 weeks. Somewhere somebody has the data that can prove this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_24-png.1706
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_25.png

Don't discount the possibility for some changes with the Dec 18 suppressed system.. We've had our fair share of these things trending NW at this timeframe. Left image is GFS forecast 144 hours ahead of the December 2017 snowstorm.

This seems to be evolving exactly like the 2018 cold outbreak! As Jimmy alluded to earlier! The head fakes with the ‘too quick’ pattern changes on the models, almost same exact time around the holidays and then it finally happened after the New Year, and was one of the greatest week to 10 days of cold I can remember in my lifetime! So try to stay positive and ride the ensembles!

Just for score keeping, the UKMET has performed well at D7 recently. It also performed quite well with Ian and upper level interactions that ultimately pulled it further east that many other modeling suites were missing for some time, including most of the EPS (although a subset of it's members did pick up on that earlier).

UKMET - 12/11 | 00z run, valid: 12/18 @ 00z:
ukmet_12.11.png

ECMWF - 12/11 | 00z run, valid: 12/18 @ 00z:
euro_12.11.png

Compared to today's 12z runs....

UKMET - 12/12 | 12z run, valid: 12/18 @ 00z:
ukmet_12.12.png

ECMWF - 12/12 | 12z run, valid: 12/18 @ 00z:
euro_12.12.png

Chilly rain. Mountains could score bigly with this look. Timing is everything for everyone else.View attachment 125860
Can't have the high pressure in Barrow and expect to get snow here, even if it is 3729 mb strong. Storms are not going to track due east along the Gulf coast and off the eastern seaboard with that kind of setup.

Back