Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing in genome studies verify that.
Yeah, but I am not sold on the whole genome study yet. I think that the data just might be a bit tainted. There is some pretty good evidence to support that it was here much earlier than originally suspected. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my wife's side of the family had severe symptoms before Christmas (my brother-in-law was overseas and brought it back) My father-in-law died from it (Corona-like virus) back in January. Most in our family had the high fever and cough but I only felt really drained and had some muscle pain for a few days. That was it. I would be willing to bet that if I were to get tested, I would show immunity.

12,000 deaths to go and it should be over. Unless they have increased their projections of 60,000 dying ?

Projections are just best guesses. We keep adding 25k new cases a day and if 15% of them continue needing advanced care we will continue to see deaths running this high for several more days if not weeks.

Reactions: Heelyes
Yeah, but I am not sold on the whole genome study yet. I think that the data just might be a bit tainted. There is some pretty good evidence to support that it was here much earlier than originally suspected. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my wife's side of the family had severe symptoms before Christmas (my brother-in-law was overseas and brought it back) My father-in-law died from it (Corona-like virus) back in January. Most in our family had the high fever and cough but I only felt really drained and had some muscle pain for a few days. That was it. I would be willing to bet that if I were to get tested, I would show immunity.

There should be antibody testing widely available.

They have already studied the virus enough to know that with the way its genetic markers are, it would have been impossible for you to have had it then.
Earlier this evening, I had a conversation with my son (who is an MD) and he told me that he had tested positive for Covid19 antibodies. He is a very healthy 31 yr old who works out and runs several times a week. He was suspicious of a respiratory infection he had before Christmas. He and his wife took a long weekend trip to NYC Dec 6-9. About a week after he got back he started coughing and running a low grade fever. He told me he felt very fatigued and the cough got worse. He went and got tested for the flu and it was negative. The 3rd night he was showing symptoms, he woke up and said the felt like he couldn't get air in his lungs. He said he almost had his wife drive him to the ER but didn't. 24 hrs later his fever broke and he felt much better and started resuming normal activities. He said his cough lingered for about 3 weeks.

He had told me a month ago in a conversation, that he was volunteering to work with the critical Covid patients in Austin TX (where he lives). He intubates them when they can no longer breathe on their own. I told him I was proud of him for his courage and compassion but concerned about his exposure. He told me that he actually thought he might have been exposed and contacted it after he got back from NYC in December and told me the story I related above. He found out the positive antibodies test yesterday, so it looks like he did. His wife never showed any symptoms. He was around his wife's parents after coming back from NYC and his father-in-law got a bad respiratory infection a few days after my son did and his symptoms lasted nearly 2 weeks before he got better. He is going to go get tested for Covid antibodies soon.

All these anecdotal stories should be heard BUT it's hard for me to believe that such a highly contagious virus with high levels of hospitalizations and deaths simmered for 3 months undetected without death and hospitalized people showing up in higher numbers. Especially when coupled with the genome sequencing.

It's a hard sell.

Earlier this evening, I had a conversation with my son (who is an MD) and he told me that he had tested positive for Covid19 antibodies. He is a very healthy 31 yr old who works out and runs several times a week. He was suspicious of a respiratory infection he had before Christmas. He and his wife took a long weekend trip to NYC Dec 6-9. About a week after he got back he started coughing and running a low grade fever. He told me he felt very fatigued and the cough got worse. He went and got tested for the flu and it was negative. The 3rd night he was showing symptoms, he woke up and said the felt like he couldn't get air in his lungs. He said he almost had his wife drive him to the ER but didn't. 24 hrs later his fever broke and he felt much better and started resuming normal activities. He said his cough lingered for about 3 weeks.

He had told me a month ago in a conversation, that he was volunteering to work with the critical Covid patients in Austin TX (where he lives). He intubates them when they can no longer breathe on their own. I told him I was proud of him for his courage and compassion but concerned about his exposure. He told me that he actually thought he might have been exposed and contacted it after he got back from NYC in December and told me the story I related above. He found out the positive antibodies test yesterday, so it looks like he did. His wife never showed any symptoms. He was around his wife's parents after coming back from NYC and his father-in-law got a bad respiratory infection a few days after my son did and his symptoms lasted nearly 2 weeks before he got better. He is going to go get tested for Covid antibodies soon.
Sounds just like what happened in my family at Christmas except we had a death as a result. (see post above)

• Sad
Reactions: ghost1
All these anecdotal stories should be heard BUT it's hard for me to believe that such a highly contagious virus with high levels of hospitalizations and deaths simmered for 3 months undetected without death and hospitalized people showing up in higher numbers. Especially when coupled with the genome sequencing.

It's a hard sell.
There were deaths....... it just wasn't counted as Corona deaths.

Reactions: Heelyes and ghost1

It's a hard sell.
Yeah I agree with this. It's almost like you have to also accept that very few people get critically ill until the virus infects a million people. Then, we finally start to see people needing medical care.

There were deaths....... it just wasn't counted as Corona deaths.
Shouldn’t we see excess deaths going back months then? But I don’t think we do.

I had a pretty bad sickness at the beginning of February that had some Coronavirus-esque symptoms, the worst sickness I’ve had in years, but I don’t think it was likely it. I wouldn’t say it wasn’t impossible, but it seems a little early in the timeline to me. Probably just a bad cold.

Why wouldn't the antibody test give him a positive for an exposure much sooner than December though considering the work he's doing?

12,000 deaths to go and it should be over. Unless they have increased their projections of 60,000 dying ?

The curve will flatten and daily deaths should hopefully near and hit 0, but a second wave is almost certain. So it’s not just going to be “over”. The president keeps saying, with authority, that the second wave may not even happen and coronavirus “may not come back”....ANY physician and ANY healthcare professional knows that’s not likely. What’s likely is Coronavirus comes back, along with flu, during the flu season in the fall and winter. The reality will be tracking two epidemics at once.

Anyone assuming we are going to all of a sudden just be dealing with flu alone in ~7 months time is either uneducated to misinformed. One of the two.

The curve will flatten and daily deaths should hopefully near and hit 0, but a second wave is almost certain. So it’s not just going to be “over”. The president keeps saying, with authority, that the second wave may not even happen and coronavirus “may not come back”....ANY physician and ANY healthcare professional knows that’s not likely. What’s likely is Coronavirus comes back, along with flu, during the flu season in the fall and winter. The reality will be tracking two epidemics at once.

Anyone assuming we are going to all of a sudden just be dealing with flu alone in ~7 months time is either uneducated to misinformed. One of the two.
Jon,
I gave you a "thank you" ... now I'd like to say as much ... Thank You!
Phil

Why wouldn't the antibody test give him a positive for an exposure much sooner than December though considering the work he's doing?
There was something about the antibody test that said it wasn't a recent exposure... he didn't explain that and I'll ask him about that the next time we talk.

It's a hard sell.

Exactly.

None of the stories about Covid being here in December are valid. The stories themselves are true and believable, but ILI (influenza like illness) runs rampant during flu season. It’s likely a lot of these stories were either the flu or a common cold. Everyone and their mom seems to have a “I got sick in December or January” story...that’s because a large portion of the population gets a cold during the fall and winter months! A lot of it is coincidence.

Our flu season in NC wasn’t anything substantial compared to other years, I’ve seen worse. I think I would have seen a lot of upper respiratory illness in January and I didn’t. I didn’t see many people even coughing. This season was pretty average. We had ILI peak at 6% this year Feb 8-22, in our severe seasons are around 10% ILI.

Status
Not open for further replies.