• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty complicated question. There is one thing I'll side with the naysayers on though (at least ones elsewhere), and it's that if we were to reopen and need to shut again due to this virus, that'd be very devastating.

But then if you stay shut for a long time, you are most certainly going to open yourself to a hoist of other issues along with viruses.

I think the work needs to continue on the Abbott same day tests, antibody tests, and treatments and you're going to need to at least try to slowly reopen, with some changes and with a plan of targeted quarantines for the at risk first if you see "rolling spikes" afterward (for 2020 purposes because a vaccine isn't coming until next year).

I just don't think staying shut down until there's an approved vaccine is anywhere in the ballpark of feasible. I would rather give re-opening a shot even if it's "doomed to fail" like some (not necessarily on here) have said.
Staying closed for 18 months sure isn’t feasible. At that point, we might as well just open up and let the chips fall where they may. Millions may die, but stopping society and the economy for a year in a half is neither sensible nor desirable.

In all likelihood I think we see the country start to open at the end of May. Like you said, we don’t want to do it too early, though, or we could end up relapsing, which would probably be a worst case scenario. Better to extend a little longer than needed than run a high risk of screwing it all up, IMO.

This is political and virus related. Unfortunately the scale is tipping to the other side which is what I was saying could happen if economies stay shut down. Within 2 weeks 50% of nation is broke. Also I’m sure most on here have seen they believe possibly a new strain of the virus might be emerging since recovered patients are getting it again. Also a dead body has passed it on to the medical examiner. Interesting times no doubt.

Yes, it sucks. And yes, the economy is going to suffer. But I still stand by my opinion, that an economy can and will recover. But the deceased, cannot recover. My hope is that we can at least start to understand this virus better and find ways to save more lives.

Staying closed for 18 months sure isn’t feasible. At that point, we might as well just open up and let the chips fall where they may. Millions may die, but stopping society and the economy for a year in a half is neither sensible nor desirable.

In all likelihood I think we see the country start to open at the end of May. Like you said, we don’t want to do it too early, though, or we could end up relapsing, which would probably be a worst case scenario. Better to extend a little longer than needed than run a high risk of screwing it all up, IMO.

Come on man, that's a little irresponsible. Not many are suggesting 18 months. Saying millions will die like it's not a big deal, (even if you didn't mean it like that), is kinda morbid. How do you think millions of American's dying is going to affect our economy? I promise you the economic impact from that would far exceed the precautions we are taking now.

Honestly at some point id rather be dead than have to deal with the consequences or having the economy shut down.

Right now places of business have no chance of surviving. I have a couple of friends that own there own business, they won’t survive if this gets extended until June. They may not catch Corona, but they will be broke, can’t pay bills, no health insurance for there families. They will be looking for a job during a period of record unemployment.

I want to hear people’s thoughts that have lost there jobs, savings dwindling, losing/lost health insurance on whether we should continue the lockdown. It’s easy for those that aren’t affected financially to say keep it locked down.

For the record, I’m not standing on my soapbox shouting reopen NC. I don’t know what the answer is either.
It’s scary to think we are in this position. Not just America but the whole world. How long can a closed economy go before there is no point of return? That’s the question. All those predictions of millions dying now down to less than 100k in US. Yes it’s sad but if America does economically collapse then it’s not going to be pretty. Several said this could not happen going into a depression but yet here we are looking at one. We have to open up sometime in early May. I think that is the time period. At that time 50% of nation will be flat broke. Which is going to be scary itself but if we go past that number of broke in America then that is not times I want to see. We are also going to be dealing with other countries that collapse. Such as Africa. Unreal times for us all. There is no easy answer. As it has been said. The cure could be worse than the virus itself.

Right now places of business have no chance of surviving. I have a couple of friends that own there own business, they won’t survive if this gets extended until June. They may not catch Corona, but they will be broke, can’t pay bills, no health insurance for there families. They will be looking for a job during a period of record unemployment.

I want to hear people’s thoughts that have lost there jobs, savings dwindling, losing/lost health insurance on whether we should continue the lockdown. It’s easy for those that aren’t affected financially to say keep it locked down.

For the record, I’m not standing on my soapbox shouting reopen NC. I don’t know what the answer is either.
Outside of having a vaccine, cure, or a widely-agreed upon, highly-effective treatment option within a matter of weeks, we are going to have two choices, one of two things will need to happen: Either the government will have to mass-produce the capacity (medicine, ppe, makeshift hospitals, ability to transport healthcare workers to where they are most needed -- essentially create emergency infrastructure) to care for sick to very sick people and reopen everything, OR keep things mostly shut down until such time as a treatment option becomes available and financially backstop everything and everybody.

This isn't an easy decision. Both are damaging to the economy, but the second option moreso. Lives will be lost under both scenarios, but less so under the second scenario. The first option limits economic damage but increases personal health risk and will cost more lives in the near term. The second option cost fewer lives in the short term, but I'm afraid more people will slip into poverty and more lives will be lost over time.

Thing is what we are all looking at is that choice we all knew would come. Open up and yes many will die or stay closed and watch homelessness and poverty and crime and suffering and diseases and many more deaths. Yes diseases will increase and spread with homelessness and poverty and lack of health care. Either way sucks. I choose to open up because I don’t won’t to see families suffer with kids going hungry and seeing crime on the streets. Wondering where your next meal is coming from to me is much worse. With the virus death happens for some yes and it’s sad but how many will lose loved ones to this virus then also have to possibly be faced with homelessness and poverty? Hopefully this is all over soon. Very soon.

Also I’m sure most on here have seen they believe possibly a new strain of the virus might be emerging since recovered patients are getting it again. Also a dead body has passed it on to the medical examiner. Interesting times no doubt.

I haven't heard anything about a new strain emerging. The claims of recovered patients getting it again are probably people that never fully recovered. I've definitely not heard a thing about it getting passed on to a medical examiner from a dead body. If they weren't taking proper precautions then it would be like getting it from any other surface though.

This says having patients to lie on their bellies saves lives. Any opinions about this? @Jon @Tornadocane @tramadoc or any other medical folks or non medical? What about if the patient is morbidly obese?

Seems that visceral fat in obese laying on their back would put pressure on their lungs, so prone positioning makes sense. It’s similar to why obese people deal with sleep apnea. Their chest is just so much heavier than others. It may have to do with oxygen being able to reach the lower lobes specially.

Outside of having a vaccine, cure, or a widely-agreed upon, highly-effective treatment option within a matter of weeks, we are going to have two choices, one of two things will need to happen: Either the government will have to mass-produce the capacity (medicine, ppe, makeshift hospitals, ability to transport healthcare workers to where they are most needed -- essentially create emergency infrastructure) to care for sick to very sick people and reopen everything, OR keep things mostly shut down until such time as a treatment option becomes available and financially backstop everything and everybody.

This isn't an easy decision. Both are damaging to the economy, but the second option moreso. Lives will be lost under both scenarios, but less so under the second scenario. The first option limits economic damage but increases personal health risk and will cost more lives in the near term. The second option cost fewer lives in the short term, but I'm afraid more people will slip into poverty and more lives will be lost over time.
The 2nd option, if managed correctly, could well work ... if employers (like me) will dig into their pockets, buy hardware and software, keep their folks at home but working; yeah, it has cost me a good 35% of my "take home" to buy new computers and provide some upgraded internet but in the long run, we'll make the outlay back up ... and I have healthy, well people to work for me ... both gratifying and altruistic, and good for the bottom line from a cold/capital point of view as well ... win/win ... IMHO ...

Yes, it sucks. And yes, the economy is going to suffer. But I still stand by my opinion, that an economy can and will recover. But the deceased, cannot recover. My hope is that we can at least start to understand this virus better and find ways to save more lives.

Viewing the economic situation through the prism of our own economy is much too narrow. The economies in most (if not all) developed nations are going to be in recession for good while; probably for the rest of the calendar year and beyond.

If our global trading partners can't buy our commodities and our manufactured products, then that has a ripple effect throughout the rest of the US economy that will reverberate through nearly every sector for the foreseeable future - whether we reopen tomorrow, next week, or next month.

Come on man, that's a little irresponsible. Not many are suggesting 18 months. Saying millions will die like it's not a big deal, (even if you didn't mean it like that), is kinda morbid. How do you think millions of American's dying is going to affect our economy? I promise you the economic impact from that would far exceed the precautions we are taking now.
There are some people out there (not many) that are clamoring for a shutdown until a vaccine comes out, which will probably be something like 18 months. But it's an impossible solution is all I was saying. Society is going to be at a breaking point if we have to continue to keep things shutdown into the summer, IMO.

There are some people out there (not many) that are clamoring for a shutdown until a vaccine comes out, which will probably be something like 18 months. But it's an impossible solution is all I was saying. Society is going to be at a breaking point if we have to continue to keep things shutdown into the summer, IMO.

There will still be a lot of people that elect not to get the vaccine when it is released. I know just as many people that don't get a flu shot that actually get a flu shot. You can literally get a flu shot for $20 at any pharmacy/grocery store.

Anyone have age breakdown for covid19 by age for US? You can find Italy fairly easily. If you are under 50 the death rate is that of the seasonal flu and probably less under the age of 40. If you are age 60+ then yes, the death rate is really bad. When things re-open I would imagine the population over 60+ will limit their exposure, wear masks, etc...but for people under 40 you could argue are better off getting out there and developing immunity in some respects. That will only help down the road.

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 4.05.28 PM.png

Anyone have age breakdown for covid19 by age for US? You can find Italy fairly easily. If you are under 50 the death rate is that of the seasonal flu and probably less under the age of 40. If you are age 60+ then yes, the death rate is really bad. When things re-open I would imagine the population over 60+ will limit their exposure, wear masks, etc...but for people under 40 you could argue are better off getting out there and developing immunity in some respects. That will only help down the road.

View attachment 39530
Do folks over 60 get a consulting bonus for guiding folks under 40? If so, where is the sign up? Asking for a friend ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back