• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Arctic April

Another Frosty morning . Have to say I love this weather. Itll be late October before it shows up again. The afternoons, evenings are spectacular. Noticed the mosquitoes have completely disappeared after several weeks of record setting appearances , atleast most I have ever noticed. Maybe the corono wiped em out.

36 this morning with no observable frost. I WANT TO PLANT MY GARDEN, so I'm not a big fan of these cold mornings. Also, my zoysia grass isn't a big fan either. I know I'll might be banned but I love the hot and humid weather....

36 this morning with no observable frost. I WANT TO PLANT MY GARDEN, so I'm not a big fan of these cold mornings. Also, my zoysia grass isn't a big fan either. I know I'll might be banned but I love the hot and humid weather....
Give me 90/70 ( ill actually take something hotter 94/77) every day in summer with storms over 38/30 and cold rain. Heat doesn't bother me, I wouldnt even consider my summers hot and we average highs over 90 from June 28 to august 5. Instant permaban coming lol.

Nah we are on the same page at this point. Im cool with an early start to frost in the fall and im cool with staying cold in spring if it has been cold. But to warm up and green up plants then to go cold again sucks. My yard has major brown patches, my rose bushes look like they are melting, my crepe myrtles have lost 50% of their new shoots but lets cheer on more cold

Last edited:
Only 42.1F in the northwest burbs.

On a brighter note, I'm down to only +.2F for the month. This has been the closest month to the 1980-2010 averages since November.

Give me 90/70 ( ill actually take something hotter 94/77) every day in summer with storms over 38/30 and cold rain. Heat doesn't bother me, I wouldnt even consider my summers hot and we average highs over 90 from June 28 to august 5. Instant permaban coming lol.
You should move to Tallahassee, FL then.

Nah we are on the same page at this point. Im cool with an early start to frost in the fall and im cool with staying cold in spring if it has been cold. But to warm up and green up plants then to go cold again sucks. My yard has major brown patches, my rose bushes look like they are melting, my crepe myrtles have lost 50% of their new shoots but lets cheer on more cold
Is your Bermuda already fully greened out? I've got some in the warmer patches in the upper yard but it hasn't really taken off elsewhere.

Is your Bermuda already fully greened out? I've got some in the warmer patches in the upper yard but it hasn't really taken off elsewhere.
Yes it completely greened up and started spreading.

Ill add that it also started greening up in January. My yard is ever so slight south facing and a warm week of full sun sends the soil temp up and this stuff goes crazy. I did commit the sin of feetlizing early because the eps had 1 member in the mid 30s and I said Im good. Its just disappointing to get pff to a fast start then have to go back to square 1

Last edited:
On top of potential severe weather events next week, GFS really wants to make things very wet. Widespread 5-7 inch rain totals through day 9 for Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina.B142E12F-3291-46C1-A9C3-7AB78F792FC9.gif

Gefs seems to agree somewhat as well. It has around a 4-6 inch mean for central Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.D4F06FCF-9E4C-47E2-8C31-A87952559BA0.png

The situation is South Florida is completely different from the other regions of the Southeast given the thread title.

POSSIBLY THE WARMEST APRIL IN SOUTH FLORIDA HISTORY
At my local station near Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport, there’s been a record broken or tied 8 of the last 9 days (5 high minimums and 3 high temperatures). On April 14, the all-time high minimum temperature of 79 was broken when the station reported a reading of 80 degrees, and then it was tied on April 16th. We also broke 3 high temperature records on 9th 10th and 11th of April with 93, 94, and 94, respectively. In the record breaking warmest Avg. year of 2015, we had five record high minimum temperature ties or records, but the only high temperature that year was 90 degree on April 18th. Tomorrow, the forecast high and low temperature is 89/75 degrees, so there is a good chance we tie or break the record high temperature, in addition to the record high minimum temperature of 75 for that date. We are currently tied with the record Avg. warmest April set back in 2015, but I think we break that record this year. 2015 was also the warmest year in South Florida, and we are running just ahead of it based on the Average temperature in the first 3 months. Miami is already smashing the 80.4 Avg. record set in April 2015 by healthy 1.1 degrees.
https://w2.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=mfl
https://www.weather.gov/media/mfl/climate/Daily_Records_Fort_Lauderdale.pdf

DROUGHT CONDITIONS
We’ve been pretty dry since March. We only saw .20 inches that month, and we’ve only seen just over an inch in April. I’m located about 4 miles west of the Airport, and my home location hasn’t seen anywhere close to an inch this month.

OCEAN TEMPERATURES AND THE LIKELY IMPACT ON OUR LAND TEMPERATURES.
Just ridiculous. I dipped my feet in the water recently. It must have been 82 or 83 degrees, which is pretty insane for this time of the year. Water across the east coast off South Florida indicate a temperature between 79 and 82 degrees, which must be having an impact on our high minimum temperatures. Based on those temperatures, I anticipate breaking a 5 or 6 more records in this category. We’ve been pretty close to beating a high minimum and daytime temperature in the same day, but I think it’s possible in the next couple of weeks. A couple of other locations already accomplished that feat, including Miami.
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=pegf1

To be fair most of the short range models have no clue with this system. I certainly don’t remember seeing any forming a line of storms.

Kinda suprised there’s storms ongoing, there’s no SB/MU cape and EL temps are below -20 (above -20 increases the chance for lightning) but then looked at lapse rates and that’s likely how there’s storms out there 663C6519-FFC8-4718-83FA-C79CA4095DB8.jpeg

Back