• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Anaphylactic August

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datatools/normals

For anyone interested, this is a great NOAA resource to find the closest station to your location that has 1980-2010 averages. They will be changing soon, so it will be interesting to see how much everyone warms.

What is crazy to me is how much difference in temperatures there are across the Atlanta region. Alpharetta, the closest station to me averages 28.5F and 49.0F in January, and about 65 to the southwest is Newnan, which averages 30.2F and 54.7F. That is quite a spread for only 65 miles.

Elevation definitely makes a difference.

Alpharetta is 200ft higher up than Newnan, if I'm not mistaken.

It's reflected in the average snowfall amounts too. The northern suburbs average 1-2" more per season than the southern suburbs.

10th 100 degree day today, yay

Signs of a front in about 10 days(we'll see about that...)

Halloween(average high is over 20 degrees cooler by then) is closer than Memorial Day now...

winter is coming guys

ecmwf-T850a-us-11.png

Last edited:
Really looking like we could get a lot of rain along and just east of the disturbance lifting out of SC

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Really looking like we could get a lot of rain along and just east of the disturbance lifting out of SC

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hard to not be excited about today’s chances! Although I don’t see how we can both win? Somebody’s going to have to take one for the team!AF76A8D3-33E8-4F4A-B756-A47D19628646.png

10th 100 degree day today, yay

Signs of a front in about 10 days(we'll see about that...)

Halloween(average high is over 20 degrees cooler by then) is closer than Memorial Day now...

winter is coming guys

ecmwf-T850a-us-11.png
Yeah, I notice some 1027 or 1029 Hs up north this early. I'm so ready for winter

Holy crap, I think lightning struck outside my office! Knocked out the phone and internet. Thunder shook the whole building.

Just following up to this, it seems we did take a hit at the office. IT had to replace some equipment that got fried.

Elevation definitely makes a difference.

Alpharetta is 200ft higher up than Newnan, if I'm not mistaken.

It's reflected in the average snowfall amounts too. The northern suburbs average 1-2" more per season than the southern suburbs.

That is correct, Alpharetta is 1135', and Newnan is 971'. Ball Ground, a small town 35 miles NNW of Alpharetta and slightly lower has an average January high of 48.4F. Cartersville, GA, which is 35 miles west of Alpharetta, but a bit lower in the Etowah valley at 787', averages 51.8F. Elevation absolutely makes a difference.

Yeah It’s the FV3. The Euro is much different. Just fun to look at especially this early.

If folks think the FV3 strong cold bias was laughable last winter, wait til this winter with it being the operational GFS omg. It is liable to become
intolerable.

Back