• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc All Things Religious

@Sandbar I'm curious about something: an individual rapes and kills another, what happens to them when they die? They had their own spiritual journey, their own dogma, they just transcend to another dimension and hopefully are a better person there? Is that justice?

@Sandbar I'm curious about something: an individual rapes and kills another, what happens to them when they die? They had their own spiritual journey, their own dogma, they just transcend to another dimension and hopefully are a better person there? Is that justice?
I don't believe in judgement of any kind nor justice in the afterlife. I don't know what happens beyond the light which is as far as I went but I no longer fear it if that makes sense. Beyond the light lies heaven, nirvana, I don't like labels but I no longer felt self I just existed in this light. You feel this divine connection to everything that has ever been or ever will be but you are the light and it's complete bliss like you've never felt. It's almost so powerful of a feeling that you you aren't meant to understand it but there is further to go. My experience was very similar to a near death experience but those people go beyond where I went. I don't believe in death but that you just transcend. I'm not really sure how I feel about reincarnation yet but that's part of my journey. I don't have a manual anymore and the answers I still seek have yet to reveal themselves to me but as I advance in my meditation I feel they will come to me. The beauty of all this is that it's my personal experience not someone else experience

My qualm with that is this, the murderer robbed the man he killed of the chance to give himself to Jesus, he robbed him of the chance of salvation. So why does the murderer get salvation and not the man he robbed salvation from? It does not seem just at all. We can take it to the most extreme example, imagine if Bin Laden accepted Jesus before he died... many of the thousands killed in 9/11 may not have accepted Jesus but the man who masterminded their death is now going to heaven... how about Hitler? It seems to me then perhaps the Christian response to this question is God knows best, and man's idea of justice is incomplete so it's best not to question it too much. I disagree with that notion personally. If someone wronged me I would hope I got justice in this life or the next.

Also, speaking of hell more than heaven speaks to @Sandbar point that fear is the motivating factor.
Your opening sentence confounds your whole argument. Why preclude the possibility, even certainty, that the murdered man would have had the opportunity to be saved prior to his death. What's the age cutoff? How about the person who died of natural causes prior to the age of the murdered man. What if he would have been murdered 2 years earlier? My argument is God gives people opportunity for the time they are here.

Well, I appreciate those questions, because they're not easy questions to work through. The reason is because we don't know all there is to know. We know what has been revealed to us. And we know what we know from a human perspective. If you stipulate that God exists and that he is all powerful, all knowing, and omnipresent, then you have to also allow for the fact that there is much more he understands and knows and has ordained than any of us will ever be capable of knowing and understanding. You don't understand the justice of the world as a little child, but that doesn't stop justice from existing anyway.

The best I can offer beyond that is that the Bible says that we are without excuse and that salvation is available to all who truly seek it. It doesn't matter if a man is murdered, dies from a heart attack, or dies in a car crash. If he is not saved, he is going to hell. In fact, Jesus talked about hell more than heaven.

Of course, all of this is predicated on the assumptions above -- that God exists and his word is available to us. If you don't believe either of those things, there's no point in exploring any of this, except to point out the foolishness of it all (if that is your view)...to which I would argue that you (and others here have already done). So why bother wasting anymore time on it? That would seem like a more foolish endeavor to me -- wasting time on something you don't believe in as opposed to spending time on something you actually do believe in.
But I think we know what's logical and just. In the scenario given there's nothing just about it. It's one of the key things that helps drive atheist to believe what we do.

Your opening sentence confounds your whole argument. Why preclude the possibility, even certainty, that the murdered man would have had the opportunity to be saved prior to his death. What's the age cutoff? How about the person who died of natural causes prior to the age of the murdered man. What if he would have been murdered 2 years earlier? My argument is God gives people opportunity for the time they are here.
It still is not fair for the man who was murdered to serve an eternity in hell while his killer lives in heaven. I mean shoot, I can take a gamble on life then. I can hope I'll live to the ripe old age of 80 and until I'm 79 I can spend my years in depravity, then spend my last year a faithful man. I do believe in a God and that God is fair and just. Acceptance of him does not override your behaviors in this world.

God gives people the opportunity in this life to do good, not just submit to him. Submitting to God is fine and all but it will not absolve you of facing justice for your actions. I hate that the murderer never faces consequences just because he accepted salvation.

But I think we know what's logical and just. In the scenario given there's nothing just about it. It's one of the key things that helps drive atheist to believe what we do.
If you make that argument, you also have to agree that a 3 year old child understands as much as adult with 50 years of life experience. Because that's the correct analogy.

It still is not fair for the man who was murdered to serve an eternity in hell while his killer lives in heaven. I mean shoot, I can take a gamble on life then. I can hope I'll live to the ripe old age of 80 and until I'm 79 I can spend my years in depravity, then spend my last year a faithful man. I do believe in a God and that God is fair and just. Acceptance of him does not override your behaviors in this world.

God gives people the opportunity in this life to do good, not just submit to him. Submitting to God is fine and all but it will not absolve you of facing justice for your actions. I hate that the murderer never faces consequences just because he accepted salvation.
Is it given to you to decide both the morality of all creation and what is just and fair in the scope of eternity?

I suppose any one of us, depending on mood, situation, upbringing, culture, country of origin, and a whole host of other circumstances that mold our thinking could decide what is just and right for any situation. If that is the case, then what is the standard?

The answer is, there isn't one. What is justice to you might not be to me. We do not know the mind of God. You and I do not understand reality or eternity or the intricacies of creation the way God does to even come close being able to render judgment on anything. We are in no position to decide what justice is for all of creation. That is humility. Deciding for yourself what is right and fair and designing God in that image is self-worship and ego. And that's it.

This looks like a great discussion and I'd like to join more when I can. Right now I'm out of town and only had a moment to glance through. There are some good, but very common questions here, on fairness, people who haven't heard, etc. There are countless speakers and even whole books written about these very questions with a lot of great insight and eloquence. If you guys asking these questions really want to look into it check out C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, The Problem with Pain, or Is God a Moral Monster by Paul Copan.

Some good speakers include John Lennox, Frank Turek, Paul Copan, Sean McDowell, and many others. They really dig into these questions in much more detail than can be done in a forum.

Here's a quick hit snippet from Turek:

A longer peice from Copan:

My qualm with that is this, the murderer robbed the man he killed of the chance to give himself to Jesus, he robbed him of the chance of salvation. So why does the murderer get salvation and not the man he robbed salvation from? It does not seem just at all. We can take it to the most extreme example, imagine if Bin Laden accepted Jesus before he died... many of the thousands killed in 9/11 may not have accepted Jesus but the man who masterminded their death is now going to heaven... how about Hitler? It seems to me then perhaps the Christian response to this question is God knows best, and man's idea of justice is incomplete so it's best not to question it too much. I disagree with that notion personally. If someone wronged me I would hope I got justice in this life or the next.

Also, speaking of hell more than heaven speaks to @Sandbar point that fear is the motivating factor.
We as human beings put a scale on sin. We think that there are degrees of sin. In God's eyes, sin is sin. Everyone is guilty and needs salvation. So, who are we to say that a murderer doesn't have the right to be forgiven?

We as human beings put a scale on sin. We think that there are degrees of sin. In God's eyes, sin is sin. Everyone is guilty and needs salvation. So, who are we to say that a murderer doesn't have the right to be forgiven?
No that’s not what I’m saying. What I am saying is it sure is unfair for a murderer to get off free while their victim suffers

Yes, but they can't experience it fully and still remain an atheist.

Gonna have to disagree, me and Shaggy were raised in the church, our grandfather was a preacher we grew up in it.

The Bible was and is instrumental in me leaving organized religion, it was me being unable to square all the things the Bible has in it that makes no sense that lead to me becoming athiest.

Is it given to you to decide both the morality of all creation and what is just and fair in the scope of eternity?

I suppose any one of us, depending on mood, situation, upbringing, culture, country of origin, and a whole host of other circumstances that mold our thinking could decide what is just and right for any situation. If that is the case, then what is the standard?

The answer is, there isn't one. What is justice to you might not be to me. We do not know the mind of God. You and I do not understand reality or eternity or the intricacies of creation the way God does to even come close being able to render judgment on anything. We are in no position to decide what justice is for all of creation. That is humility. Deciding for yourself what is right and fair and designing God in that image is self-worship and ego. And that's it.
Except you have provided a framework for justice, you say it is justice when you accept salvation. It is justice when a sinner gets salvation while his victims get eternal damnation even if they lived a righteous life.

Another thing about organized religion is this… it’s influenced by man and man is susceptible to corruption. Though, like I said earlier we are all a part of the same universe , a part of God, therefore I guess everything we do is divine in a way.

Except you have provided a framework for justice, you say it is justice when you accept salvation. It is justice when a sinner gets salvation while his victims get eternal damnation even if they lived a righteous life.

It's not about justice, it's about swearing fealty to God period.

Gonna have to disagree, me and Shaggy were raised in the church, our grandfather was a preacher we grew up in it.

The Bible was and is instrumental in me leaving organized religion, it was me being unable to square all the things the Bible has in it that makes no sense that lead to me becoming athiest.
Nobody knows. Someone from my school days ODed 2 times and actually died for a period of time. He said it was just like going to sleep and waking back up when they saved him. I myself am Agnostic.

I don't believe in judgement of any kind nor justice in the afterlife. I don't know what happens beyond the light which is as far as I went but I no longer fear it if that makes sense. Beyond the light lies heaven, nirvana, I don't like labels but I no longer felt self I just existed in this light. You feel this divine connection to everything that has ever been or ever will be but you are the light and it's complete bliss like you've never felt. It's almost so powerful of a feeling that you you aren't meant to understand it but there is further to go. My experience was very similar to a near death experience but those people go beyond where I went. I don't believe in death but that you just transcend. I'm not really sure how I feel about reincarnation yet but that's part of my journey. I don't have a manual anymore and the answers I still seek have yet to reveal themselves to me but as I advance in my meditation I feel they will come to me. The beauty of all this is that it's my personal experience not someone else experience
There is no moral code, no reason for a moral code if what happens here has no bearing on the afterlife. If all we do is transcend from one dimension to the next what reason does anyone have to do what is right? In fact, how do we even define what is right? Our beliefs are so far apart it's probably futile to continue the discussion honestly

The best framework we have is the Bible. It's not my epiphany or idea.

Back