• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc All Things Religious

So many good posts in this thread lately. I started this thread, and I have been truly blessed with how it has developed. Glad to know that there are folks out there who are going through the same challenges that I face. Remember what the bible says .... There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (1 Cor 10:13). The temptations of today are the same ones that have been making man sin since the garden of Eden.

Sex outside of marriage has always been a great temptation for many generations of people and it has only gotten worse with the technology we have in existence today. It is really an obstacle for today's young people as you stated to get around in the Christian walk of faith. What used to be confined to the adult book stores and the seedy strip clubs is so easily accessible for anyone with a cell phone or computer and so much of the entertainment today is sensual in nature.

The Lord's Prayer that Jesus gave his disciples has the request "lead us not into temptation and deliver us from evil" in it. I think that is something every Christian should be saying to oneself even more than ever in this day and time. God is always there to pick us up when we fall if we are saved but we also should do our best to avoid situations where we might become enticed into a situation that would be damaging to our testimony and our relationship with God.
Nice post, Good advice @ Reminder.
Everyday we are in spiritual warfare. Always pray for a Spiritual Hedge of protection around you and your family before journeying out each day. Ephesians Chapter 6.
Another thing as you suggested, is to always run from sin not towards it. Be smart with the situations you put yourself in.

Hebrews 4:12
12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Who said if I claim to believe something I must believe all of it?
Rain Cold. The Bible is the Bible. Who gives any of us the authority to decide which parts we believe and which parts we don't? Believing it or not believing it makes sense. Randomly choosing parts of it to believe and discarding the rest because we don't like it doesn't make sense. I mean, technically you can do it, but that doesn't mean it makes sense.

Is there some part of it you don't believe?

Who said if I claim to believe something I must believe all of it?
Who decides what parts to believe and not to believe. I mean if parts are not worth believing what makes any of it worth believing and if parts are worth believing why isn't all of it believable? I happen to believe all of it, even the parts I might not like because it reminds me of my sinful nature. Thankfully His grace is sufficient for even a wretched sinner like me.

Is it the literal words of the Bible, or the literal message and teaching of each passage that is more important
Both, god breathed life into the scripture. All of the bible is inspired by god and used for the purpose of teaching and learning. Wether it be about Jesus's power to save you from your sins, or just what is right and wrong like the 10 commandments.

Something interesting for you hardened Christians here myself included. My pastor who knows Hebrew. Discussed with me literally in the Hebrew language our translations doesn't accurately depict how strong Paul implicates he fasted or submitted to christ. when he was writing his epistles to the churches; my pastor explained Paul used two specific Hebrew words can't remember what, he showed me, but they literally meant beat into submission. Paul beat his body into submission (his sinning flesh) to obey him. When we think of doing better like new years resolutions etc. We should all remember Paul, would literally use the phrase beating his body into submission when it came to his sinning flesh. It makes me really consider I have down basically nothing compared to beating my body into submission before God. (Figuratively not literally). I wish some things the church would tackle and let be known, again my old church very rarely delved into the topic of sex and sexual relations and abstinence which I hate, because the church needs to realize sex is not a bad word or a bad topic. In the songs of Solomon, not sure the author. But there's literally a whole chapter (maybe few verses) that describe taking delight in your wife's youthful breasts! And other stuff If I'm correct* lol don't quote me but I'm almost certain I've read that. Just weird that church jumps certain topics because it's awkward even though it really needs to be delved in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a disciple of Jesus... but in my spiritual journey, I've come to realize the convoluted and complex pathway in the development of the current Biblical Canon that is recognized by most of Christianity... especially the Old Testament. What is contained therein (Bible) from my study and research, is the product of human decisions, discretion, and preferences by scholars from different geographical regions and religious/ethnic backgrounds and history. I don't believe (as I once did) that God directly whispered in the ear of the authors of the original texts what He (God) wanted to be written into 66 books... but what was written was the experiences, history, and traditions of people in their spiritual desire and pursuit of the Supreme Being and needs to be read within that context.

I am a disciple of Jesus... but in my spiritual journey, I've come to realize the convoluted and complex pathway in the development of the current Biblical Canon that is recognized by most of Christianity... especially the Old Testament. What is contained therein (Bible) from my study and research, is the product of human decisions, discretion, and preferences by scholars from different geographical regions and religious/ethnic backgrounds and history. I don't believe (as I once did) that God directly whispered in the ear of the authors of the original texts what He (God) wanted to be written into 66 books... but what was written was the experiences, history, and traditions of people in their spiritual desire and pursuit of the Supreme Being and needs to be read within that context.
I don't think God really whispered in the ears of the writers, a lot of things probably came about by revelations, inspirations, dreams etc. But also they're was a firm idea even back then. Again I dont remember who, but it was clearly written not to add or remove these books by someone in the bible, so they had a idea of the core cannon of the bible and what was not supposed to be added or removed. But you also saying the old testament is convoluted and such takes away to the credit of what Jesus read and went off of when he was alive, often quoting the the bible to the devil himself as scripture. If my savior used the old testament like it is. I sure will too.

I don't think God really whispered in the ears of the writers, a lot of things probably came about by revelations, inspirations, dreams etc. But also they're was a firm idea even back then. Again I dont remember who, but it was clearly written not to add or remove these books by someone in the bible, so they had a idea of the core cannon of the bible and what was not supposed to be added or removed. But you also saying the old testament is convoluted and such takes away to the credit of what Jesus read and went off of when he was alive, often quoting the the bible to the devil himself as scripture. If my savior used the old testament like it is. I sure will too.
Yeah it goes back to what I was saying the other day. The Bible is the word of God as revealed to us through man to man. Do we believe it or not? Of course man is going to bring his particular style into the writing and write things in perspective according to his background and experience. You need look no further than the 4 Gospels to understand that. But it goes back to fidelity to Scripture. Is it the inspired word of God or isn't it? If you want to treat some of it as God's word and some of it as just musings of random people, then on what basis do you decide that? Who has the authority to make those decisions and to proclaim this or that as truth and the other to be, well, just interesting prose? I can't see any reasonable approach that could inform me that the writers of the New Testament had inspiration from God and that their writings can be considered truth, while writers of the Old Testament were simply journeymen who could write and their writings would have to be picked through to find nuggets of truth..

Yeah it goes back to what I was saying the other day. The Bible is the word of God as revealed to us through man to man. Do we believe it or not? Of course man is going to bring his particular style into the writing and write things in perspective according to his background and experience. You need look no further than the 4 Gospels to understand that. But it goes back to fidelity to Scripture. Is it the inspired word of God or isn't it? If you want to treat some of it as God's word and some of it as just musings of random people, then on what basis do you decide that? Who has the authority to make those decisions and to proclaim this or that as truth and the other to be, well, just interesting prose? I can't see any reasonable approach that could inform me that the writers of the New Testament had inspiration from God and that their writings can be considered truth, while writers of the Old Testament were simply journeymen who could write and their writings would have to be picked through to find nuggets of truth..
Curious to wether there's a divide on the inspiration of the old testament compared to the new testament. Because the writers were not filled with the holy spirit in the old testament but where or started to in the new testament. Either way God spoke to people in both times. God often used dreams as dreams where very frequent ways of communication for people back then. Even to this day my pastor tells us stories when he goes to Israel in the middle east that a lot of people ,Muslims included come to know of Jesus through dreams. Which is crazy to think of. But if you don't have the bible to be able to read God will find away. Most people know there is a higher being and seek out this higher being but get led astray with many many false gods that are unfruitful.

Curious to wether there's a divide on the inspiration of the old testament compared to the new testament. Because the writers were not filled with the holy spirit in the old testament but where or started to in the new testament. Either way God spoke to people in both times. God often used dreams as dreams where very frequent ways of communication for people back then. Even to this day my pastor tells us stories when he goes to Israel in the middle east that a lot of people ,Muslims included come to know of Jesus through dreams. Which is crazy to think of. But if you don't have the bible to be able to read God will find away. Most people know there is a higher being and seek out this higher being but get led astray with many many false gods that are unfruitful.
Yeah that's a good question. It's difficult to answer, but at the same time, it's not too difficult to imagine that the creator of the universe could figure out a way to have his word written just the way he wanted. That's where I land. I think there are many things we don't know the answers to and never will while we're here on Earth.

Yeah that's a good question. It's difficult to answer, but at the same time, it's not too difficult to imagine that the creator of the universe could figure out a way to have his word written just the way he wanted. That's where I land. I think there are many things we don't know the answers to and never will while we're here on Earth.
No no I agree with what you say. I meant for the believers of that theory I wonder if that's where the idea comes from. Totally believe what your saying. Lol sometimes my wording is not perfectly understandable ?. It's more so a diss to God's ;divine intervention. Saying that the old testament is not accurate and so on

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Bible is the Word of God. Just look at Genesis..... Moses wrote the story of the creation. Who do you think told him??? Yes, that's right God himself. Now, we have no way of knowing what method God chose to inspire Moses.

Back