• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc All Things Religious

Amazing Times we find ourselves living in. The Blessed Hope is the only true Peace there is. If you don't have it, its free and giving to anyone who ask. Still time, but its getting shorter by the day.
Bro there is no peace anywhere on this planet where religion rains supreme. Look around you. It's been this way since it took hold.......War, war and more war but hey it's right there in the bible. Destroy and kill anything and everything that doesn't submit and obey

Come on man.... that's just not true. My Bible teaches a hatred for sin but forgiveness for sinners. If you really drill down into it, more wars are fought over money and political views than religious beliefs. Hitler wanted a superior race to rule the world. You can't blame God for war. You need to blame the uneducated and power-hungry.

Come on man.... that's just not true. My Bible teaches a hatred for sin but forgiveness for sinners. If you really drill down into it, more wars are fought over money and political views than religious beliefs. Hitler wanted a superior race to rule the world. You can't blame God for war. You need to blame the uneducated and power-hungry.
This is what your bible teaches.....Hate. This is just the tip of the iceberg. You folks have been praising a dictator not the creator. The creator is consciousness not a old bearded man in the sky

What does the Bible teach us about dealing with non believers….

2 Chronicles 15:12-13

And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and with all their soul, but that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman".

Luke 19:27

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.’”

Matthew 10:34

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword".

Ezekiel 35:7-9

I will make Mount Seir a waste and a desolation, and I will cut off from it all who come and go. And I will fill its mountains with the slain. On your hills and in your valleys and in all your ravines those slain with the sword shall fall. I will make you a perpetual desolation, and your cities shall not be inhabited. Then you will know that I am the Lord".

1 Samuel 15:2-3

Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’”

This is what your bible teaches.....Hate. This is just the tip of the iceberg. You folks have been praising a dictator not the creator. The creator is consciousness not a old bearded man in the sky

And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and with all their soul, but that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman".

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.’”

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword".

I will make Mount Seir a waste and a desolation, and I will cut off from it all who come and go. And I will fill its mountains with the slain. On your hills and in your valleys and in all your ravines those slain with the sword shall fall. I will make you a perpetual desolation, and your cities shall not be inhabited. Then you will know that I am the Lord".

Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’”

Don’t eat that fish or chicken because you may be eating God.

Not a single one of these is a root characteristic description of God. None of these are "preaching hate". None of these show unjustified brutality toward those who do not believe.

2 Chronicles 15 is a "revival" of Israel returning back to God. Israel was a Theocracy at this point so disbelief in God would be considered a crime in the highest degree against God. This is a covenant it is not an act that occurs, it's possible not a single person was killed under this covenant! It is not a blanket statement across all of humanity. It is held within the confines of Israel.

Luke 19:27 is a parable told by Jesus. Those "enemies" are in fact or reference to Jews or "Gods chosen people" who did not follow Christ. This is referencing past events in the history of Israel in which they turned from God and faced persecution as well as the upcoming destruction of the Jews city and temple. It is by not a blanket statement of "I'll kill all my enemies." It is quite literally punishment for God's people and not unbelievers.

Matthew 10:34 is Jesus dispelling the popular belief that the Messiah was there to lift them out of Roman captivity. Quite the opposite would actually occur and this in reference to the political unrest and violence that would unravel during Jesus' final days on earth. Jesus' ministry was dropping a proverbial "bomb" into the status quo that had existed for centuries. Unrest, dispute, persecution would be a result. Again, this is not a verse displaying a characteristic of Jesus but rather Jesus explaining what would come as a result of His ministry. In fact, this passage actually is predicting the persecution of the believer and is not describing killing unbelievers. Christ is referred to many times as the Prince of Peace.

Ezekiel 35 is a fulfillment of prophecy against the descendants of Esau. Israel being a theocracy any hostility toward them is a direct action against God. The people of Edom tried to take advantage of the land after the destruction of Judah. This was a direct act against Gods chosen people and chosen land. Gods prophet is speaking judgement on Edom for that act in which they would face destruction as God protects Israel. These were not just "innocent unbelievers" but were actively working toward the destruction of Gods people. This is certainly is not a blanket statement over all "unbelievers" especially today as there is no longer an Israeli Theocracy.

I Samuel 15 is the same story as the people of Edom. Judgment of a people standing against God and His people.

I don't think many people understand the Israel in the Old Testament. We read those stories as brutal and come out thinking "wow what a hateful God" but fail to remember an act against Israel in that day is quite literally an act against the physical person of God. Not to mention the wickedness of the people in this day is nearly beyond comprehension. beastiality, incest, SA against children, child sacrifice, are all common themes among these people who stood against Israel so much so it would literally be practiced in public.

None of these passages teach "hate". None of these passages show unjust consequences for non-believing people. It's important to remember the Old Testament stories revolving around Israel are truly a "different" time with God speaking and working directly through Israel as a Theocracy. Something that no longer exists. The New Testament and Old for that matter has countless examples of a loving God and a God that desires peace, and offers salvation for all people.

Last edited:
None of these passages teach "hate". None of these passages show unjust consequences for non-believing people. It's important to remember the Old Testament was truly a "different" time with God speaking and working directly through Israel as a Theocracy. Something that no longer exists. The New Testament has countless examples of a loving God and a God that desires peace, and offers salvation for all people.
So God changed his mind?

Bro there is no peace anywhere on this planet where religion rains supreme. Look around you. It's been this way since it took hold.......War, war and more war but hey it's right there in the bible. Destroy and kill anything and everything that doesn't submit and obey

Fountainguy wrote a good response to your quotes, and stated it better than I could have; but I just wanted to respond a bit about the teaching of the Bible.

There are obviously many; MANY, people that see God in the old testament as a mean, angry, and hurtful God; and superficially I can understand why. Many people credit the OT as a major reason, or even the reason they either gave up their faith or never had it to begin with. Many popular atheists like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Bill Maher certainly point to this "evil monster of a god" from the OT. But as Fountainguy described, the passages pointed to are often and easily misunderstood and used. The terrible things in the OT are consequences of what people do and sin they orchestrate; not because God is terrible. There is a book you may want to read that helps frame some of this (I may have mentioned it before); Is God a Moral Monster: Making Sense of The Old Testament God: by Paul Copan.

I agree that peace on this planet is absent; but I ascribe that to human flaw and weakness. Our envious and prideful nature (among other tendencies) insure that we don't know how to truly love and treat each other as we should. Tragically we know how to corrupt everything. It's true that religion (including Christianity) has often been used to justify terrible things, but that is why we need to judge religion by the standards of that religion, and not the destructive followers.

Nowhere in the Bible is hate taught; nowhere. (Remember, people today have a very warped view of the word "hate," ie. "if you don't approve of what I am doing then it is because of hate." Disapproval often has NOTHING to do with hate, as any parent knows.) In fact; the Bible is about love and reaching out. What is the greatest commandment?

Mark 12:30–31​

30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

John 3:16–17

16 For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.

Phillians 2:3

3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,

Matthew 5:43-47

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?
And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?

Romans 13:8-10​

Love Fulfills the Law

8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

John 13:34

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

There are literally hundreds of verses we could point out; but the Bible teaches forgiveness, turning from personal sin, reaching out to your neighbor, turning the other cheek, serving others, and loving others above all; especially nonbelievers. The great commission Jesus gave is not to go out and kill nonbelievers, but to share the Gospel with them. What does the Gospel teach believers to do? Forgiveness, turning from personal sin, reaching out to your neighbor, turning the other cheek, serving others, and loving others above all.

Fountainguy wrote a good response to your quotes, and stated it better than I could have; but I just wanted to respond a bit about the teaching of the Bible.

There are obviously many; MANY, people that see God in the old testament as a mean, angry, and hurtful God; and superficially I can understand why. Many people credit the OT as a major reason, or even the reason they either gave up their faith or never had it to begin with. Many popular atheists like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Bill Maher certainly point to this "evil monster of a god" from the OT. But as Fountainguy described, the passages pointed to are often and easily misunderstood and used. The terrible things in the OT are consequences of what people do and sin they orchestrate; not because God is terrible. There is a book you may want to read that helps frame some of this (I may have mentioned it before); Is God a Moral Monster: Making Sense of The Old Testament God: by Paul Copan.

I agree that peace on this planet is absent; but I ascribe that to human flaw and weakness. Our envious and prideful nature (among other tendencies) insure that we don't know how to truly love and treat each other as we should. Tragically we know how to corrupt everything. It's true that religion (including Christianity) has often been used to justify terrible things, but that is why we need to judge religion by the standards of that religion, and not the destructive followers.

Nowhere in the Bible is hate taught; nowhere. (Remember, people today have a very warped view of the word "hate," ie. "if you don't approve of what I am doing then it is because of hate." Disapproval often has NOTHING to do with hate, as any parent knows.) In fact; the Bible is about love and reaching out. What is the greatest commandment?

Mark 12:30–31​

30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

John 3:16–17​

16 For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.

Phillians 2:3

3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,

Matthew 5:43-47

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?
And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?

Romans 13:8-10​

Love Fulfills the Law

8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

John 13:34

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

There are literally hundreds of verses we could point out; but the Bible teaches forgiveness, turning from personal sin, reaching out to your neighbor, turning the other cheek, serving others, and loving others above all; especially nonbelievers. The great commission Jesus gave is not to go out and kill nonbelievers, but to share the Gospel with them. What does the Gospel teach believers to do? Forgiveness, turning from personal sin, reaching out to your neighbor, turning the other cheek, serving others, and loving others above all.

That is a great book! Well worth a read

Here is another verse.

Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭33‬:‭11

Amazing to see how much scripture you know! You seem to have a little trouble with the Creator's right to judge mankind. It seems you forgot one of the most significant ones in Genesis 6
" 5Then [c]the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them."
You see. the creator first of all owns it all. He doesn't have to answer to anyone. I'm sorry if you don't like that🤣 I guess you do what you want with your possessions? Next, God is a Good God. Evil is not good, if you didn't know. There is none good but God. So, if it is contrary to God, it is Evil. God is the giver of all life, at His word it is given and taken. God doesn't have to tolerate even the first evil thought, such as some you have been willing to pen. But, in all His Holiness, Righteousness, and Power, there is great patience. ...................2pet 3:9The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance.
God's judgment is explained in Rom 1...
"18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 19For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse.
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools, 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images of mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
24Therefore God gave them over in the desires of their hearts to impurity for the dishonoring of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is forever worthy of praise! Amen."
Some of these things probably seem foreign to you. They were that way for me at one time. But, Satan has blinded the minds of unbelievers so that they cannot see the light of the Gospel. You MUST be BORN AGAIN! Not fo flesh and blood, but of the Spirit. One of the most beautiful Truths is "Micah 7:18Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy." psalms 103 says He doesn't treat us as our sins deserve, or repay us according to our iniquity."
And most of all, He has shown it by His own personal Sacrifice. ......................................Phil 2:6Who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to death—

even death on a cross!"
God is the same yesterday , today, and forever......God is Love!

Let’s have some fun with the OT…

Top 10 Biblical ways to obtain a wife (according to the OT)

10. Find an attractive prisoner of war, bring her home, shave her head, trim her nails, and give her new clothes. Then she’s yours. – (Deuteronomy 21:11-13)

9. Find a prostitute and marry her. – (Hosea 1:1-3)

8. Find a man with seven daughters, and impress him by watering his flock.- Moses (Exodus 2:16-21)

7. Purchase a piece of property, and get a woman as part of the deal. – Boaz (Ruth 4:5-10)

6. Go to a party and hide. When the women come out to dance, kidnap one and force her to be your wife. – Benjaminites (Judges 21:19-25)

5. Have God create a wife for you while you sleep.-Adam (Genesis 2:19-24)

4. Have a husband killed and take his wife. -David (2 Samuel 11)

3. Kill 200 of your future father-in-law’s enemies, cut off their foreskins, and trade them for his daughter to be your wife -David (I Samuel 18:27)

2. Even if no one is out there, just wander around a bit and you’ll definitely find someone. -Cain (Genesis 4:16-17)

1. Don’t be so picky. Make up for quality with quantity. – Solomon (1 Kings 11:1-3)

Let’s have some fun with the OT…

Top 10 Biblical ways to obtain a wife (according to the OT)

10. Find an attractive prisoner of war, bring her home, shave her head, trim her nails, and give her new clothes. Then she’s yours. – (Deuteronomy 21:11-13)

9. Find a prostitute and marry her. – (Hosea 1:1-3)

8. Find a man with seven daughters, and impress him by watering his flock.- Moses (Exodus 2:16-21)

7. Purchase a piece of property, and get a woman as part of the deal. – Boaz (Ruth 4:5-10)

6. Go to a party and hide. When the women come out to dance, kidnap one and force her to be your wife. – Benjaminites (Judges 21:19-25)

5. Have God create a wife for you while you sleep.-Adam (Genesis 2:19-24)

4. Have a husband killed and take his wife. -David (2 Samuel 11)

3. Kill 200 of your future father-in-law’s enemies, cut off their foreskins, and trade them for his daughter to be your wife -David (I Samuel 18:27)

2. Even if no one is out there, just wander around a bit and you’ll definitely find someone. -Cain (Genesis 4:16-17)

1. Don’t be so picky. Make up for quality with quantity. – Solomon (1 Kings 11:1-3)
I don't know if this is tongue in cheek; of course it's difficult to determine tone, inflection, or intent over the internet. If you are implying the OT is telling people these are generally correct ways to find a wife I think you are grossly misinterpreting the OT and probably not looking at the context these are taken from. There are literally books written on how to correctly understand historical context and how they connect to the bigger picture of the Biblical message if you care to take the time to read and understand them.

Some of these you list might be cynicism; 2 and 5, for example? I think it's safe to say God is not going to create wives for any of us while we sleep, that was a situation specific event that also set the stage for challenging later social practices of women being inferior to men; women were made from and complimentary to man so that can only mean equal value and worth (intentionally created this way, even from the very beginning, not just decided on by an "enlightened" 21st century person) even though their roles may differ. It has been cultures that thought of women as inferior but we see that was not the intent or nature of creation.

Some of these were very specific directions for a specific person or situation, and some of these are not directions but accounts of what actually happened; decisions that fallen people made. For example (to illustrate the point), the OT is not trying to tell people that passing out drunk in a tent rather than attending your duties (Noah) was a direction; it was using a real account to illustrate different lessons; like less than perfect people can still do great work, just because you do great work doesn't mean you are above reproach, staying focused on task is very important, etc. The Bible, like Christians today, is full of people who sin. I could try to go in and tackle these one at a time but it would be a very lengthy undertaking and my guess is it would not be read anyway. There are great ways to understand the place for these passages if you truly want to understand them.

Back