• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Site News 2022 Suggestion & Feedback Thread

I've been thinking about this and I do wonder if the best thing to do is keep a general monthly discussion thread then break that discussion into regions as events get closer. It doesn't fracture the community as a whole but gives everyone a place to discuss where their needs are similar to get a storm
Most of the time, a potential storm will naturally divide by region depending on the areas most affected. For example, the coming midweek system really only poses a threat to the western areas and the most active users will naturally be those most directly affected. For the rare times a board-wide hit is incoming, there is even less incentive for subgroups since it's natural to want to see what is ground truth upstream.

Weenies that are interested will post and follow along from other regions regardless. As the site grows, perhaps a more regional storm-specific view will be needed, but I just don't see enough clutter for the need to worry much about separate regions across the south.

Not much of a poster and don’t take this the wrong way. Love the site but a lot of times I look for maps on areas west of N Carolina but see images or messages only pertaining to N Carolina. Might be nice to separate that since their climate is a bit different as I was schooled on.

Not much of a poster and don’t take this the wrong way. Love the site but a lot of times I look for maps on areas west of N Carolina but see images or messages only pertaining to N Carolina. Might be nice to separate that since their climate is a bit different as I was schooled on.

A majority of the maps posted are from premium services and it's usually up to them what areas they post. We're happy to have whatever they post here. If you're not seeing a lot of imagery for you're area; it's likely not looking too good or eventful, imo.

A majority of the maps posted are from premium services and it's usually up to them what areas they post. We're happy to have whatever they post here. If you're not seeing a lot of imagery for you're area; it's likely not looking too good or eventful, imo.
Well, not always true about the "the area not looking too good" however, if asked, most of the Carolina guys will oblige and post maps further west if requested which is very nice.

If we have incoming here in Ga, trust me, you'll have more images than you can handle. And that's just from me alone!

Love the site. Always have and that’s why I’ve stayed apart of it for 4 or so years. If there are some things that annoys me sooooo much it would be a couple of things.
1. Posting a video should be soooo much easier I should be able to just click a video on my camera roll from my phone and post it just like a picture. I think that would make this place much more fun during actual events as everyone can easily see what is happening at someone’s current location (when we get thundersnow later this winter I wanna be able to show y’all how hard it’s snowing at the time;) ) and I know you can post like a YouTube video or something like that but that’s so much extra work to go make a YouTube account post there then bring the link over here and hope it works and all that jazz.
2. I have no idea if this is a problem that’s able to be fixed by y’all or if it’s just a bug that happens on the phone but.. I use this site pretty much solely on my phone but occasionally on my laptop.. for my phone it would be amazing if I could just stay logged in all the time. I try hitting the remember me button when I log in but every time I leave for a couple hours and come back I have to resign in and it doesn’t remember any of my information so that I would be able to log in faster

Again these are just small quality of life fixes that would be amazing and make the site more appealing but they certainly aren’t deterring me from using the site at all.

Since icing events are so different it might help us learn to have one thread dedicated for ice maps. That way users can stop cluttering the main storm thread with bogus maps that never verify.

Love the site. Always have and that’s why I’ve stayed apart of it for 4 or so years. If there are some things that annoys me sooooo much it would be a couple of things.
1. Posting a video should be soooo much easier I should be able to just click a video on my camera roll from my phone and post it just like a picture. I think that would make this place much more fun during actual events as everyone can easily see what is happening at someone’s current location (when we get thundersnow later this winter I wanna be able to show y’all how hard it’s snowing at the time;) ) and I know you can post like a YouTube video or something like that but that’s so much extra work to go make a YouTube account post there then bring the link over here and hope it works and all that jazz.
2. I have no idea if this is a problem that’s able to be fixed by y’all or if it’s just a bug that happens on the phone but.. I use this site pretty much solely on my phone but occasionally on my laptop.. for my phone it would be amazing if I could just stay logged in all the time. I try hitting the remember me button when I log in but every time I leave for a couple hours and come back I have to resign in and it doesn’t remember any of my information so that I would be able to log in faster

Again these are just small quality of life fixes that would be amazing and make the site more appealing but they certainly aren’t deterring me from using the site at all.
The logout thing COULD be becasue you are switching IP addresses as you move around

These are all good suggestions guys; keep em up

Yes! Posting images and videos should be easier for us boomers! Like a jitterbug phone or something! Just push one button and then it’s posted! ?

The reason why we do not have direct upload of raw video (right now) comes down to storage space. Once we start getting our attachments offloaded onto another source other than the actual server itself.. we will be able to enable it.. along with allowing larger upload sizes for gifs etc

Alright, I'll try to answer the questionaire, but keep it from getting tl;dr (but not making any promises).

1) The site strikes the right combination of serious weather discussion and having fun. As Mac mentioned earlier, the site is also more welcoming than others to new members. It’s easier to break into the conversation here. That is extremely important to growing an online community.

You also have a great mix of people who enjoy the weather and (for the most part) click together. Different regions, ages, etc. Each has their own strengths. You’ve got people great at pattern recognition, and others better at finer details (for example). Stuff like that..

3) Need more certified mets. The ones here are great. The non-mets who know their stuff are great too. It’s just sometimes good to have one around to keep us grounded. We have a tendency of either getting TOO excited for a potential storm or cliff-diving from run to run. The experienced mets know not to do that, and I feel their presence would help calm these overreactions.

4) I’m not a fan of sub-sections, but me being from NC might affect that. If I lived in AL, I may feel differently. I will say that one issue subforums won’t solve is a sense of geographic tension which will ALWAYS be a thing. You see that now at times between the Carolinas and AL/GA in a broad sense. But you’d see it also within subforums if they were created. A Carolinas forum would have a NC vs SC tension for example. An NC forum would have potential Triangle vs CLT area divide. You see my point..

SD's suggestion about having sub-forums for specific events may be a good compromise BTW..

5) Yes

6) The rules are clear. Your issue is that sometimes they may not be enforced as equally among members, which is not a southernwx issue, that's an everywhere issue. That emboldens the troublemakers to argue and push limits.

7) I access predominantly from a laptop (that’s why I’m a little wordy sometimes, lol), but also from my phone.

8) I like the obs in the storm thread, and am honestly baffled that some consider it a big issue. In my opinion, the bigger problem in storm threads is the inevitable amount of noise from posters that put out information that’s either not helpful (or repetitive) or bantery as it gets closer. That’s not a knock against the mods, who I know are having to delete/move many posts. I’m just saying that I don’t feel the obs are that disruptive at all compared to other potential disruption, and in fact are mostly useful. Keep them!

Finally, it may be useful to merge in Tropical Weather into the main weather forum. I honestly forgot it was there.

The reason why we do not have direct upload of raw video (right now) comes down to storage space. Once we start getting our attachments offloaded onto another source other than the actual server itself.. we will be able to enable it.. along with allowing larger upload sizes for gifs etc
Yeah that’s is probably the biggest quality of life change I can see happening to the site. Having to crop images to fit the upload size limit and all that jazz is very much a hassle sometimes but it sounds like eventually we will get this fix ?? Thanks

Alright, I'll try to answer the questionaire, but keep it from getting tl;dr (but not making any promises).

1) The site strikes the right combination of serious weather discussion and having fun. As Mac mentioned earlier, the site is also more welcoming than others to new members. It’s easier to break into the conversation here. That is extremely important to growing an online community.

You also have a great mix of people who enjoy the weather and (for the most part) click together. Different regions, ages, etc. Each has their own strengths. You’ve got people great at pattern recognition, and others better at finer details (for example). Stuff like that..

3) Need more certified mets. The ones here are great. The non-mets who know their stuff are great too. It’s just sometimes good to have one around to keep us grounded. We have a tendency of either getting TOO excited for a potential storm or cliff-diving from run to run. The experienced mets know not to do that, and I feel their presence would help calm these overreactions.

4) I’m not a fan of sub-sections, but me being from NC might affect that. If I lived in AL, I may feel differently. I will say that one issue subforums won’t solve is a sense of geographic tension which will ALWAYS be a thing. You see that now at times between the Carolinas and AL/GA in a broad sense. But you’d see it also within subforums if they were created. A Carolinas forum would have a NC vs SC tension for example. An NC forum would have potential Triangle vs CLT area divide. You see my point..

SD's suggestion about having sub-forums for specific events may be a good compromise BTW..

5) Yes

6) The rules are clear. Your issue is that sometimes they may not be enforced as equally among members, which is not a southernwx issue, that's an everywhere issue. That emboldens the troublemakers to argue and push limits.

7) I access predominantly from a laptop (that’s why I’m a little wordy sometimes, lol), but also from my phone.

8) I like the obs in the storm thread, and am honestly baffled that some consider it a big issue. In my opinion, the bigger problem in storm threads is the inevitable amount of noise from posters that put out information that’s either not helpful (or repetitive) or bantery as it gets closer. That’s not a knock against the mods, who I know are having to delete/move many posts. I’m just saying that I don’t feel the obs are that disruptive at all compared to other potential disruption, and in fact are mostly useful. Keep them!

Finally, it may be useful to merge in Tropical Weather into the main weather forum. I honestly forgot it was there.
In regard to #3, I’d wager there are a few more around than we realize ;)

Back