• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Site News 2022 Suggestion & Feedback Thread

Shawn

Administrator
Reaction score
When SouthernWX launched 5 years ago, our goal was to make a welcoming, positive, and relaxed community for people to talk about the weather. This website has exponentially grown, and we owe all of our members a big THANK YOU because you all made it possible!

We wanted to make this thread to both express our gratitude and allow you to give us your opinions of how well we're doing. We also want to know what suggestions you have, and how they would make SouthernWX a better place for you, personally, and even what would make it worse for you?

We've added a small questionnaire template with some basic questions as a starting point, but we would love an open discussion about anything else you'd like to see, your feelings, or even dislikes.

Questionnaire:

1) What do you think sets SouthernWX apart from other communities?

2) If you're a member outside of the traditional Southeast, what encourages you to visit us over other websites to discuss the weather?

3) If you could change or add one thing to the website, what would it be?

4) What are your thoughts on sub-regional forum sections?

5) Would you recommend your weather enthusiast friends to participate here? (If not, why?)

6) In your opinion, are the website rules clear or would you like a clearly defined set of rules that are easily accessible?

7) Do you predominantly access SouthernWX from a computer, tablet, or mobile device? (which one(s))

8) What do you think of storm observations in the main thread, versus it's own?

Again, these are just some basic questions and we welcome any and all of your suggestions and feedback outside of the questionnaire.

Thank you!

Forgot to mention, what are you guy's thoughts on the current layout of the forum? The types of threads and sections we already have? Would you prefer it arranged differently, kept the same? Also, what would you like to see added or removed thread topic wise, outside of the general weather discussion threads?

And on the part of the weather threads... would you prefer the tropical section left as is; or included with with the general weather section versus it's own area?

Good site but we need to separate friendships and business especially when it comes to warnings and banning. One poster in particular causes a lot drama and offends people based off there beliefs sexual orientation ect that should not be tolerated. Blocking the said individual is a good option but I'm afraid thier presence hinders our growth.

Good site but we need to separate friendships and business especially when it comes to warnings and banning. One poster in particular causes a lot drama and offends people based off there beliefs sexual orientation ect that should not be tolerated. Blocking the said individual is a good option but I'm afraid it hinders our growth.

Please send me a message with more details.

I think sub forums might be a good idea. I love weather and have paid my dues by living 45 years of my life in SC/NC. I feel good with the group we have, just sometimes don’t like the hate and comments about iowa or me. I’m a southerner, just happen to be living in Iowa. I track any interesting events down there, especially snow. I access the site from my phone 100 % of the time. I’m old school and like a seperate OBs thread. Rules are pretty clear, IMO

Good site but there’s a few members from one particular site that comes here and just wanna cause drama with me and even others when I take a break from posting. It’s the same old farts too just new usernames and they don’t really wanna see this site succeed like I do. They hate it when I provide good forecasts and information or point out Robert and others completely bombing their forecasts to rev up money from grandma and grandpa on Facebook.
Thanks for making this about you like everything else

I think sub forums might be a good idea. I love weather and have paid my dues by living 45 years of my life in SC/NC. I feel good with the group we have, just sometimes don’t like the hate and comments about iowa or me. I’m a southerner, just happen to be living in Iowa. I track any interesting events down there, especially snow. I access the site from my phone 100 % of the time. I’m old school and like a seperate OBs thread. Rules are pretty clear, IMO

On the sub forum part; what would you prefer personally? Like mountains, carolinas, midwest, ne, etc? or something different?

Good site but there’s a few members from one particular site that comes here and just wanna cause drama with me and even others when I take a break from posting. It’s the same old farts too just new usernames and they don’t really wanna see this site succeed like I do. They hate it when I provide good forecasts and information or point out Robert and others completely bombing their forecasts to rev up money from grandma and grandpa on Facebook.

Robert is a respectful member of the weather community. I personally learned a lot from him when I was first starting out, and I don't fault him in making some money, especially for very personal reasons, to help himself out.

Every forecaster has been wrong Birdman. Every. Single. One.

The people you personally have issue with, send me a message with details.

Furthermore, really like storms obs in the main thread keeps it all together and most younger people today use phone to access this site or at least all my friends do. I think we stand out because of certain posters like fro and Webber when they are active. I do wish we had more cross linking updates when certain threads are made maybe a push alert we could sign up for via text or twitter or Facebook. And I still think it would be cool if we had more connection with wx twitter posts if we could somehow bring their tweets here in a rolling feed or something on the main page cause theirs a lot of talent and time spent on twitter that would benefit our taste buds.

On the sub forum part; what would you prefer personally? Like mountains, carolinas, midwest, ne, etc? or something different?
It is tough to say. I think at American, when they had a SE forum and then that split into a Tennessee region, that was silly, but I’m thinking if you aren’t open to change, things get a little stale. I think maybe just big chunks like SE is fine, maybe the plains divided into just Southern plains and Northern plains, but weather is pretty boring out here about 6-8 months of the year

It is tough to say. I think at American, when they had a SE forum and then that split into a Tennessee region, that was silly, but I’m thinking if you aren’t open to change, things get a little stale. I think maybe just big chunks like SE is fine, maybe the plains divided into just Southern plains and Northern plains, but weather is pretty boring out here about 6-8 months of the year

The one thing that is worrying is a potential fracture of the community. We'd hate to have regional sections with only one or two people posting. But on the flipside of that, it could encourage others from "outside" the traditional southeast to possibly want to participate.

The one thing that is worrying is a potential fracture of the community. We'd hate to have regional sections with only one or two people posting. But on the flipside of that, it would encourage others from "outside" the traditional southeast to possibly want to participate.
I've been thinking about this and I do wonder if the best thing to do is keep a general monthly discussion thread then break that discussion into regions as events get closer. It doesn't fracture the community as a whole but gives everyone a place to discuss where their needs are similar to get a storm

Honestly, no complaints. Site is pretty straightforward and easy to navigate. There is a nice mixed bag community here. All genders races and ages. I think it would be cool if we were able to have a scholarship program for some of these young guns. I’m not sure what all would go into that but it sounds good on paper. Great site. Great community.

I have been around these weather forums for a long time and enjoy each for what they bring to the table. I feel there is more of a sense of "community" here which is one reason I spend more time here than anywhere else and actually wouldn't mind contributing when you guys roll the fund raiser back out.

That being said, splitting the team aka. moving to subforums is a mistake in my opinion. Sure, this forum leans heavily to the Carolina folks but our input is typically valuable from an upstream perspective and our Alabama/Tennessee guys are valuable to us from an upstream perspective as well. If it's not broken.....

Moderation here is adequate and typically not over the top which is a draw for me. Some posters love drawing attention to themselves and are seemingly given a longer leash but the ignore feature does work if that becomes an issue.

Not a big fan of tap talk so I usually access on my laptop.

A pinned post with public accessible links to model pages and run times may be helpful to eliminate those questions. "Reading Bukfit soundings for Dummies", etc. could be helpful.

All in all, I have participated on sports and weather forums since the late 90's and find this one to be solid and appreciate it very much.

I have been around these weather forums for a long time and enjoy each for what they bring to the table. I feel there is more of a sense of "community" here which is one reason I spend more time here than anywhere else and actually wouldn't mind contributing when you guys roll the fund raiser back out.

That being said, splitting the team aka. moving to subforums is a mistake in my opinion. Sure, this forum leans heavily to the Carolina folks but our input is typically valuable from an upstream perspective and our Alabama/Tennessee guys are valuable to us from an upstream perspective as well. If it's not broken.....

Moderation here is adequate and typically not over the top which is a draw for me. Some posters love drawing attention to themselves and are seemingly given a longer leash but the ignore feature does work if that becomes an issue.

Not a big fan of tap talk so I usually access on my laptop.

A pinned post with public accessible links to model pages and run times may be helpful to eliminate those questions. "Reading Bukfit soundings for Dummies", etc. could be helpful.

All in all, I have participated on sports and weather forums since the late 90's and find this one to be solid and appreciate it very much.

On the top of the page, we have a wiki and model resource section. It's a bit dated and needs to be improved but it has links and info for some common questions like weather model sources etc. If someone's on mobile, it's the white area to the "left" of the logo (theme is bugged) to drop the menu down.

Back