• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

Most are looking at this from a north-south basis. The cold air over the northern triangle can scoot out just as quickly. Im looking at this as a more E-W based. However, we will all find out soon enough. Fingers still, naievely, crossed CAD saves us from ice accrual.

Greg Fishel said the Triangle would see front end snow/sleet followed by rain and 50 degree temps. Are the warmer ocean temps playing a role in scouring out cold air quicker? I know we are east of the good CAD (damn I miss living in Greensboro), but that is a quick and harsh rise in temps.
There is just no way, unless you’re in FAR SE wake. I mean, technically, anything is possible but dang.

I’m honestly surprised as well.
Not sure where he was coming from. He did use the whole "ive seen this song and dance before" shtick. He didnt give reference to any analogs or previous circumstances.

His lack of puns were the starkest contrast to him on air as opposed to writing.

I definitely wish I was still in the Triad for this one. So far, living here versus the Triad had benefited me in exactly zero storms basically. It’s unreal considering the snowfall average differential between here and there is fairly minimal. Are we going to get a storm where it pays off to be further east ever again?
I'm sure if we researched accumulation maps in the past 30+ years, we could maaaaaybe find an event or two that gave Durham more than the Triad. But I'm thinking even then it was more of like getting only an inch or two more. Nowhere near the times Triad got more than Durham. (If I"m wrong or anyone remembers a relevant example, feel free to correct me).

Only one big outlier, and we all know it. (Jan 2000, which still dumped 10'' at GSO)

It grinds my gears when people are like rDu iS oUt oF tHiS when they live in Fuquay or Apex and they are halfway to ———- Fayetteville from me anyway.

Johnston and Harnett are not the triangle either. Yes, I’ll die on that hill.
ed-edd-and-eddy-bruh.gif

I'm sure if we researched accumulation maps in the past 30+ years, we could maaaaaybe find an event or two that gave Durham more than the Triad. But I'm thinking even then it was more of like getting only an inch or two more. Nowhere near the times Triad got more than Durham. (If I"m wrong or anyone remembers a relevant example, feel free to correct me).

Only one big outlier, and we all know it. (Jan 2000, which still dumped 10'' at GSO)
There’s others I can think of like January 2002, January 2009, and January 2018 where Durham got significantly more, too (as well as January 2000, obviously), but it’s been a while and yes the Triad is never shutout in those situations (or course, if the Triad gets a big one, Durham is usually going to do fairly decently, too, even if it mixes). I think the average snowfall differential between Durham and Greensboro is around an inch, but lately it seems worse than that. Likewise, the snowfall discrepancy between the NW and SE parts of the Triangle has been I’d say historically large as of late. Durham certainly averages more snowfall than Garner, for example, but I don’t think it’s historically been as dramatic as seen recently.

Back