• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

So Boone or Asheville?
You’ll lose QPF towards Boone but they are more likely to stay all snow especially If this warm nose continues to strengthen. Mountains in a triangle between Asheville and Highlands have the most potential at this lead.

I haven’t had time to look past this weekend. Could one of you be a lamb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t had time to look past this weekend. Could one of you be a lamb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is nothing beyond this weekend. The models couldn't even get this one right so they are certainly not even close with whatever comes next. I think for my sanity, It's best to only look out to 84 hours until we get to March.

It's basically a fool's errand hoping a storm comes back from the west. Coming back from suppressed or OTS is almost always doable, but as I said from the get-go, without a strong, west-based -NAO to keep the 50/50 from scooting out, you need perfect timing.

This wave has gotten stronger and slowed down. With is no good NAO in place, the northern stream progresses and we're left with the upcoming debacle.

I still have difficulty believing that the low is going to track through Raleigh, but we're going to change to rain here almost certainly, the way it looks at this point, hopefully in time to avoid the major icing that areas to the west will see.

Unless the models are missing something really significant here, we know pretty much what we've got now.

One more thing, this is a good illustration into ensemble value. When you have one or two outlier runs of an operational, and the ensembles remain steadfast, you should give a nod to the ensembles. But when you see run after run of a certain trend, and the ensembles are slowly following, and other model trends are in the same direction, it is usually inaccurate to say "ignore the ops; let's go with the ensembles".

The ensembles provide a great deal of value, but we have to use them correctly and situationally. We can't use them for wishcasting or as evidence of what we hope will come true.

It has been clear since pretty much the beginning that the ensembles suites have been following the operational models. Givin the lack of a mechanism to hold the 50/50 in place, this was somewhat predictable. Trends across all guidance are just as, if not more, important to forecasting as the specific solutions themselves.

We will see some oscillations yet. But unless something big is being missed, we are starting to get a really good idea how this one will play out.
When is your book signing tour?

Lets face it. 99% of us prefer snow over sleet/freezing rain. Even if you get sleet/freezing rain, you'll still be mad you didn't get snow.
I'm with you, but if snow isn't possible, than a sleet/freezing rain storm is pretty, so long as it's less than .25" of accumulation of ice. More than that and I want no part of it!

There is nothing beyond this weekend. The models couldn't even get this one right so they are certainly not even close with whatever comes next. I think for my sanity, It's best to only look out to 84 hours until we get to March.
Can't really trust the models too much until you get within 3 days.

Back