• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

I want to introduce a operational model that's new to you - the mmfs model (mesoscale model and forecast system) My good friend has coded the mmfs and I endorse it, because he made my dream come true of having a stand alone "in house" model. Right now, it's an exclusive model and the site that it runs on is still in development. (If you want to see what the model looks like, I posted a image of the storms in the severe thread.) The mmfs only runs when there is a significant weather event imminent and it does not receive data from the main models - it's a stand alone model. A super res tornado model loop will be available soon as well. Winter products of the mmfs will be available when there is a winter storm imminent and hopefully we'll get a winter storm so I can put the mmfs model to use.

Halifax County heat island? Must've been all the dang cows burping and farting

mint.19850121.gif

Not an old joke but do you remember this at all? I'd love to see it again I guess the early Jan 2018 cold is the modern version
Heck yeah I remember it, we had cows lol and every morning that week had to take an ax to break ice for them to have water. I don't mean crack through a thin layer, I mean like ice fishing crap you see up on the great lakes type of ice to break. You know I grew up on a farm, we had Perdue chicken houses, it was a nightmare trying to keep them warm enough and even had ice build up on the inside of the doors and vents of those houses. Steam from the fans pulling ventilation out of the poultry houses accumulated ice on the ground in front of them. Walking on ponds, things you just never see around here that's for sure.

Heck yeah I remember it, we had cows lol and every morning that week had to take an ax to break ice for them to have water. I don't mean crack through a thin layer, I mean like ice fishing crap you see up on the great lakes type of ice to break. You know I grew up on a farm, we had Perdue chicken houses, it was a nightmare trying to keep them warm enough and even had ice build up on the inside of the doors and vents of those houses. Steam from the fans pulling ventilation out of the poultry houses accumulated ice on the ground in front of them. Walking on ponds, things you just never see around here that's for sure.
Good grief I want one of those again

I wish you could experience it once, I'm good lol.... really doubt we ever see that again, not in my lifetime anyway. Truly feel that was a once in a lifetime event.
Seems I also recall some powerlines snapping from the cold but I may be mistaken about that

There are news stories of the Tar River freezing over in the 1780's, Neuse and Cape Fear rivers freezing over in late 1880's and then that arctic outbreak of 1985..... so hold on my brother until the 2080's and you might see it :D

There are news stories of the Tar River freezing over in the 1780's, Neuse and Cape Fear rivers freezing over in late 1880's and then that arctic outbreak of 1985..... so hold on my brother until the 2080's and you might see it :D
I'll be 100+ the age to really enjoy it lol

Back