• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

It’s comical how bad this pattern can really get, another trough diving south from AK ready to unload into the western US. Where’s the fast forward to jan button A24C390C-93BD-4500-859A-6E55177E1C04.png

It’s comical how bad this pattern can really get, another trough diving south from AK ready to unload into the western US. Where’s the fast forward to jan button View attachment 96372
I need to log in to American weather and check the mid Atlantic forum. I bet the meltdown is great. They're actually burning climo away the first 2 weeks of December. Us not so much thankfully yet.

In Meteorology and other scientific careers sure, I can see a degree being necessary..

BUt that does not make it true for ALL high paying fields. I have a high Paying job, and only an Associates. I've worked my way up from the bottom, and more people need to see this as an acceptable avenue.
I have a degree, but haven't used it in 15 years and probably never will again. I have a high paying job compared to the median salary in America. My profession employs the dumbest of the dumb and also the smartest of the smart. I've met retired doctors doing it. Anybody guess what it is?

Took this picture back in March (prior to leaf out), on Pilot. You can see why it's burning so fast. Lots of trees laying on the ground, plus a fresh pile of leaves...

View attachment 96379
Yeah , fires good for the ecosystem . As a result of the fire the forest composition will change to mostly pine . Which is what happened in the smokies after the big fire . Prior to the state being developed fire was a natural cycle and the forests of the state looked vastly different , being mostly pine-oak Savannah’s with minimal underbrush. The mostly deciduous forests of today are a modern feature . Honestly I have to questions what are the prescribed burning procedures for pilot mountain. If they don’t have them it’s time to do them .

Yeah , fires good for the ecosystem . As a result of the fire the forest composition will change to mostly pine . Which is what happened in the smokies after the big fire . Prior to the state being developed fire was a natural cycle and the forests of the state looked vastly different , being mostly pine-oak Savannah’s with minimal underbrush. The mostly deciduous forests of today are a modern feature . Honestly I have to questions what are the prescribed burning procedures for pilot mountain. If they don’t have them it’s time to do them .
Yep, sometimes you have to burn the underbrush so the forest can thrive

Looks like the fire on pilot mountain is calming down quite a bit per reports, not much smoke at all, not much wind either and higher RH

I have a degree, but haven't used it in 15 years and probably never will again. I have a high paying job compared to the median salary in America. My profession employs the dumbest of the dumb and also the smartest of the smart. I've met retired doctors doing it. Anybody guess what it is?
I'm not even using my highest level degree, and I get paid more for not using it.

Being a new anchor (or a TV weatherperson)?

Back