• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

Well I do have degrees so.... sorry wrong thread. ;)
I bet their are many on this site that have degrees, contrary to popular (or unpopular) belief there's some really sharp minds on this board, many of them in fact.

I bet and most people don't really talk about it because it means ---- in the real world.

At minimum, having degree means everything in today's world, having 2 (or more) of them is actually a requirement to receive legitimate consideration for most decent paying jobs in this field.

At minimum, having degree means everything in today's world, having 2 (or more) of them is actually a requirement to receive legitimate consideration for most decent paying jobs in this field.
Oh it does help and I'm thankfully I do but I hire guys and girls without one that are starting out making more then i did. But at the end of the day a piece of paper means nothing.

Oh it does help and I'm thankfully I do but I hire guys and girls without one that are starting out making more then i did. But at the end of the day a piece of paper means nothing.

It's definitely at minimum an overexaggeration to say that. If you've ever applied for a high-paying job it is a requirement to even receive so much as consideration that you at least possess an MS or a PhD. Have you ever tried applying to or looked into what's required to join the National Weather Service or National Hurricane center? Do you realize how stringent their requirements are and that military veterans with experience AND at least MS degree receive priority? I would probably know since I just went through this gauntlet this past year.

It's definitely at minimum an overexaggeration to say that. If you've ever applied for a high-paying job it is a requirement to even receive so much as consideration that you at least possess an MS or a PhD. Have you ever tried applying to or looked into what's required to join the National Weather Service or National Hurricane center? Do you realize how stringent their requirements are and that military veterans with experience AND at least MS degree receive priority? I would probably know since I just went through this gauntlet this past year.
Yea I'm not a Met and I understand you guys need that just to even apply, you guys are smart and most of yall are introverts and that's why you guys like to push on us normal guys when we talk about things you are knowledgeable at. I think you guys don't get paid enough to be honest. I've never had to apply for a job in my life so I cant relate I guess. I've been bless to start working with a family friend right out of college and I've been on my own every since. Webber your a smart dude and the only problem I have with you is that you like to tell people your smart. You don't need to do that. We know how smart you are man.

Last edited:
Yeah, It's really difficult with how over-saturated the career field is, and with everyone being super passionate = competitive you really need more than one degree and/or GIS certificate or an MS/PHD.. After exhaustion, I have found myself in the GIS field which is fine, it's even worse when you're like me & are particularly picky with my interest only in the operational sector.

Seems I remember some long range projections that late Nov was going to torch? Maybe I'm wrong about that but anyway, for the most part Nov was anything but a torch, wonder if as we get closer to verification we will see the SER muted some and the heat back off in Dec?

Seems I remember some long range projections that late Nov was going to torch? Maybe I'm wrong about that but anyway, for the most part Nov was anything but a torch, wonder if as we get closer to verification we will see the SER muted some and the heat back off in Dec?
Not me. From the 15th.
RIght on cue. This will be our coldest air of the entire season, and if it's not the coldest, it'll only be by a few degrees. Almost like mother nature is reading the same script for the last 3 years. Pants bursting cold in November, and then the wheels fall off around the first week of Dec.

I'm gonna save this post and do a Jen Psaki and "Circle Back" in a few months.

The random -NAO block really spoiled any warm chances this November along with the western ridge, we’re about to start out december with index’s that are all a dumpster fire, and parts of the country 30F AN… the +AO/+NAO/+EPO/-PNA typically mean torch for our parts, I really don’t know what could shift this colder unless we adjust the Aleutian ridge which often means a SERF52CD293-4FF5-439E-9226-3654C58208E6.pngBBC5A94D-8109-48D5-A262-E16F26AF19A0.png

In Meteorology and other scientific careers sure, I can see a degree being necessary..

BUt that does not make it true for ALL high paying fields. I have a high Paying job, and only an Associates. I've worked my way up from the bottom, and more people need to see this as an acceptable avenue.

Winter in the southeast runs from Nov 1st thru Nov 30th. Then 7-10 random days in January, not necessarily consecutive, could come in 2 or 3 different windows. The again from about March 15th to about April 30th. Give or take a few days. ???
The spring winter days are tornadoes in Alabama then 50s and freezes the next day/night

Back