• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

Today was a record for traffic in eastern wake , it all started in 2015. That was the year traffic in Knightdale became unbearable . Then by 2019 64 where it cuts down to 2 lanes becomes bottlenecked, now today 64 business and 64 highway were backed . Took me 50 minutes to get home . Then you got all these overweight buffoons and their demands for more retail , more Publix , more fast food , more more more more more more , oh but love a small town they tell you ! I wasted 20 minutes of my life in my car . Then they tell you but oh your quality of life went up ! Yeah wasting more and more time of my life in my car sure is helping . The amount of wrecks on 64 by Zebulon have soared ! 2 of my peers alone were killed in wrecks there last 2 years . Seems every week someone dies in a wreck there , then they tell you but oh time to widen ! Does widening help? Nope !

Commute time to Raleigh from Zebulon :

25-35 minutes during non busy times
50 minutes during traffic times , assuming no wrecks or rain
1.5 hours with rain or wrecks during rush hour
Move closer problem solved

It'll be here soon enough. Can't wait until Lillington and angier are holly springs and fuquay and the whole Triangle footprint expands 30-50 miles
I don’t think there’s enough oomph in the triangles growth rate to make Angier and Lillington look like Fuquay . They will grow alright but that level no. Harnett will be a largely exurban / suburban county as will Johnston and Chatham , though the areas bordering wake will be suburban more so.

Move closer problem solved
Yes because moving closer is affordable . It’s the trap lol. This is how American style growth works . Everyone wants to live like a king but also somehow preserve open space , small town atmosphere , low traffic , low property tax rates and affordable housing . What people don’t understand is you can’t have all that , some areas have to densify while others must be protected . It’s the only way for it to be beneficial to us all. You have to give something up . You want affordable housing close to job centers ? Ok time to densify stop complaining boo hoo muh yard . Want more open space ? Ok then stop with the sprawl type development. Everyone wants all that but not in their backyard . If Raleigh was built like an old style north east city , or a European city , hell let’s not even go that dense just make it as dense as Long Island , it would cover half the area it does today.

Yes because moving closer is affordable . It’s the trap lol. This is how American style growth works . Everyone wants to live like a king but also somehow preserve open space , small town atmosphere , low traffic , low property tax rates and affordable housing . What people don’t understand is you can’t have all that , some areas have to densify while others must be protected . It’s the only way for it to be beneficial to us all. You have to give something up . You want affordable housing close to job centers ? Ok time to densify stop complaining boo hoo muh yard . Want more open space ? Ok then stop with the sprawl type development. Everyone wants all that but not in their backyard . If Raleigh was built like an old style north east city , or a European city , hell let’s not even go that dense just make it as dense as Long Island , it would cover half the area it does today.
Find a way to make farming more profitable and/or make unused land make money. If people have it logged for $$ people complain about the trees being cut! Then they sell for mega $$ and everyone complains about sprawl.

What’s wrong with being passionate about something ? It’s always the most passionate who inflict change on society and draw the most ire for daring to raise their voice a little higher !

I moved to SE Wake out in the country in 2003. It's slowly turning into not country. I hate it. I am tired of all the people, all the waiting, all the long commutes, and all the busy-ness. I want to live in the country and not have to commute an hour into work.

I moved to SE Wake out in the country in 2003. It's slowly turning into not country. I hate it. I am tired of all the people, all the waiting, all the long commutes, and all the busy-ness. I want to live in the country and not have to commute an hour into work.
SE Wake lost its country title a long time ago . I classify it as low density suburban now . Characterized by 2 lane roads crowded by large neighborhoods with homes on .5 acre lots . It’s faux country . The homes being spread out further apart gives the illusion it’s country . Only country area left in wake county is the block of land south of rolesville north of Zebulon , Hopkins nc being the center of that . Very pretty area . I’m lucky in that a lot of that land is owned by the county in preparation for a new water reservoir , so any development is discouraged as it is regulated by reservoir rules which discourage anything more than acre lots .

What’s wrong with being passionate about something ? It’s always the most passionate who inflict change on society and draw the most ire for daring to raise their voice a little higher !
Nothing it's nice to see people passionate about things and stand up for what they believe in. Im just not sure you are passionate about a subject that's going to find a lot of support here

Nothing it's nice to see people passionate about things and stand up for what they believe in. Im just not sure you are passionate about a subject that's going to find a lot of support here
Yeah lol. I know . We got a frickin developer on here and frickin snowNoatl who makes money off black rock!

SE Wake lost its country title a long time ago . I classify it as low density suburban now . Characterized by 2 lane roads crowded by large neighborhoods with homes on .5 acre lots . It’s faux country . The homes being spread out further apart gives the illusion it’s country .
That's true now. When we moved here, it was farms and woods. Not anymore. Shopping centers, neighborhoods, all kinds of development. Roads haven't kept up.

That's true now. When we moved here, it was farms and woods. Not anymore. Shopping centers, neighborhoods, all kinds of development. Roads haven't kept up.
Roads never keep up and never will catch up. You’ve been to Raleigh , does capital boulevard with all its lanes affectively move traffic ? Nope. 40 as wide as it is? 440? 70?It’s a lie , expanding the roads is never enough. We would have to expand roads a crap ton wider than what would be allowed . I’m talking 14 + lane highways . The solution is encouraging a completely different type of development and changing zoning laws to allow better development practices .

Find a way to make farming more profitable and/or make unused land make money. If people have it logged for $$ people complain about the trees being cut! Then they sell for mega $$ and everyone complains about sprawl.
I’m a realist . We must use nature to elevate the human condition , but without abusing it . Logging is a net positive . Only time you see me against logging is in sensitive wetland areas or areas with important conservation importance . As for farmers , American farmers stopped making money decades ago. Most farmers LOSE money and are propped up by government subsidies . Only farms making money these days apart from niche organic lesbian farmers on the outskirts of towns like chapel hill are the big farming corps that own thousands of acres. Most farmed land is not farmed by the original owner but leased to someone else here in eastern wake .

Roads never keep up and never will catch up. You’ve been to Raleigh , does capital boulevard with all its lanes affectively move traffic ? Nope. 40 as wide as it is? 440? 70?It’s a lie , expanding the roads is never enough. We would have to expand roads a crap ton wider than what would be allowed . I’m talking 14 + lane highways . The solution is encouraging a completely different type of development and changing zoning laws to allow better development practices .
I don't know about 14+ but they never widen the roads enough for future growth. By the time they're done with any road project, it is good enough for 2 years ago.

I don't know about 14+ but they never widen the roads enough for future growth. By the time they're done with any road project, it is good enough for 2 years ago.
Oh yeah . How about 20 lanes ? It just isn’t enough , not with the way our cities are developed . Austin Texas expanding a 12 lane highway to 20 because of traffic . LOL! Induced demand is the name of the phenomenon. Expanding the roads invites more worsening the traffic . It’s funny how our largest cities have the widest highways and still the worst traffic . Widening isn’t the anwser to traffic .

In 1932, an association representing streetcars warned that “as fast as improvements are made in existing arteries of travel … they are saturated by an increasing volume of traffic.”

which he memorably compared a highway planner widening a congested highway to “the tailor’s remedy for obesity — letting out the seams of trousers and loosening the belt. [T]his does nothing to curb the greedy appetites that have caused the fat to accumulate.”

Back