• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

The thanksgiving travel started today it seemed like travel on the interstates was bumper to bumper

The thanksgiving travel started today it seemed like travel on the interstates was bumper to bumper
Has growth been pretty strong in Wilkesboro the last few years, or has it been pretty stagnate? I'm up in West Jefferson this weekend and it's out of control up here. Rapid growth, lots of people moving here.

Has growth been pretty strong in Wilkesboro the last few years, or has it been pretty stagnate? I'm up in West Jefferson this weekend and it's out of control up here. Rapid growth, lots of people moving here.
West Jefferson ? No way. I swear the cancer just spreads there is not one inch in this state these vultures will leave alone . What makes you reckon it’s not tourists ?

Edit: Ashe county lost people actually the last 10 years . Only a mere 20% of the mountains are protected . Very abysmal .

West Jefferson ? No way. I swear the cancer just spreads there is not one inch in this state these vultures will leave alone . What makes you reckon it’s not tourists ?

Edit: Ashe county lost people actually the last 10 years . Only a mere 20% of the mountains are protected . Very abysmal .
Go chain yourself to some trees, big save

Decline. A lot moved to Mooresville/Troutman areas due to Lowe’s. NASCAR is the only thing that could turn things around. It’s weird everyone here is shocked that of all people Roy Cooper signed into law millions for North Wilkesboro Speedway this week.

Go chain yourself to some trees, big save
Yawn you yourself complain of traffic . It’s carpetbagging . The state will run out of steam eventually and expenses will catch up. Then all these vultures will go to new green acres .I’m sure you will love the mountains when it’s traffic and neighborhoods clogging your pretty views.

There are new businesses here since last year. 221 is continuing to be widened. Traffic is worse every time we come here. Lots more people. And I spoke with some locals. They say it's getting bad. Not sure about Ashe as a whole or even Watauga or Allegany, but WJ is getting crammed.

Yawn you yourself complain of traffic . It’s carpetbagging . The state will run out of steam eventually and expenses will catch up. Then all these vultures will go to new green acres .I’m sure you will love the mountains when it’s traffic and neighborhoods clogging your pretty views.
And logging. Over the last 5 years, lots of places that we go here, you can see them chopping down trees all over the place. Lots of people from up north and from FL moving here.

West Jefferson, Troutman and Hickory are the only nearby areas that get new stuff and housing. Sparta, Yadkinville, Wilkesboro, Mount Airy, Taylorsville and Statesville are all on the decline or stagnant.

Decline. A lot moved to Mooresville/Troutman areas due to Lowe’s. NASCAR is the only thing that could turn things around. It’s weird everyone here is shocked that of all people Roy Cooper signed into law millions for North Wilkesboro Speedway this week.
Thanks. We're looking to move up here one day. But I don't want to go from a rapid growth area to another.

Yeah traffic sucks in wake county its a really poorly planned area as a whole. Not much I can do about it other than deal with it or move. But I'm not sure the job market in Clinton is booming

And logging. Over the last 5 years, lots of places that we go here, you can see them chopping down trees all over the place. Lots of people from up north and from FL moving here.
Logging , at least there’s still land owned by loggers . Presents a golden opportunity for conservation. Most of the parkland in western nc was purchased from loggers .

Yeah traffic sucks in wake county its a really poorly planned area as a whole. Not much I can do about it other than deal with it or move. But I'm not sure the job market in Clinton is booming
You would be shocked , won’t take much to convince people to move to Clinton . I can see it already “ work from home and commute 1 hour north to Raleigh on the smooth newly widened i40 to enjoy the big city amenities while living the country life style . Travel 1 hour south and enjoy the pristine North Carolina beaches for the weekend “

You would be shocked , won’t take much to convince people to move to Clinton . I can see it already “ work from home and commute 1 hour north to Raleigh on the smooth newly widened i40 to enjoy the big city amenities while living the country life style . Travel 1 hour south and enjoy the pristine North Carolina beaches for the weekend “
It'll be here soon enough. Can't wait until Lillington and angier are holly springs and fuquay and the whole Triangle footprint expands 30-50 miles

Today was a record for traffic in eastern wake , it all started in 2015. That was the year traffic in Knightdale became unbearable . Then by 2019 64 where it cuts down to 2 lanes becomes bottlenecked, now today 64 business and 64 highway were backed . Took me 50 minutes to get home . Then you got all these overweight buffoons and their demands for more retail , more Publix , more fast food , more more more more more more , oh but love a small town they tell you ! I wasted 20 minutes of my life in my car . Then they tell you but oh your quality of life went up ! Yeah wasting more and more time of my life in my car sure is helping . The amount of wrecks on 64 by Zebulon have soared ! 2 of my peers alone were killed in wrecks there last 2 years . Seems every week someone dies in a wreck there , then they tell you but oh time to widen ! Does widening help? Nope !

Commute time to Raleigh from Zebulon :

25-35 minutes during non busy times
50 minutes during traffic times , assuming no wrecks or rain
1.5 hours with rain or wrecks during rush hour

I can’t stand mountain weather. It’s too extreme for me esp in the cold. Night and day difference between mtns vs foothills. I prefer that extra 10 degrees.

Back