• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020 Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

My 2 favorite phrases I use are “ might could “ and “ done did”. Fixin never stuck with me , one word I adopted though from the famous outer banks hoi tiders accent is “ mommucked”.

I don’t know about everyone else, but my family is all from the NE, and I was never able to break that “you guys,” despite everyone around me saying “y’all.” I’m sure that there are a lot more born and raised southerners here, but I think “you guys,” looks better on paper/weather forum text box.

Just as long as, and you have to be honest, it's you guys and not Youse Guys.... because you will be banned on the spot.

North Carolina is the most linguistically diverse state in the US. Although it is trending to look more like the rest of the south with only one accent divide. Urban vs rural. Whereas throughout history due to the diverse geography of NC many different dialects sprung up across the state apart from the southern accent we associate with the south today.

You know you live in NC when you 3 year old is extending his vowels from 1 syllable to 2. ye-es.
Mine and my wife's accents are southern but more watered down due to Atlanta. However, my kids sound as southern as it gets. Extending syllables always reminds me of my grandfather saying shiyit or heyell when hitting a golf ball.

My 2 favorite phrases I use are “ might could “ and “ done did”. Fixin never stuck with me , one word I adopted though from the famous outer banks hoi tiders accent is “ mommucked”.

Hear that one a lot. My mother in law moved here from Dublin and she lives in Manns Harbor (Wanchese) and that is a big one used where she lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back