• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That one was fun. I wasn't expecting more than a few flurries. I woke up and school was still on as scheduled (I was in high school at the time). Then WCPSS announced a 2 hour delay around 6:10am. Temperatures were in the low-mid 20s and it was a very fine powder. By 7am roads were quickly covered and WCPSS canceled school.

That one was fun. I wasn't expecting more than a few flurries. I woke up and school was still on as scheduled (I was in high school at the time). Then WCPSS announced a 2 hour delay around 6:10am. Temperatures were in the low-mid 20s and it was a very fine powder. By 7am roads were quickly covered and WCPSS canceled school.
I remember this one well because the rgem and nam were the only models that had anything until about go time. If I remember correctly it snowed just about all day

To avoid cluttering the Feb thread with this, curiosity got the best of me and I went through IEM to see how many svr tstorm warnings were issued for each county in the GSP CWA from 1/1/20–12/31/20. Generally, the counties are oriented by state from west->east as the crow flies.
Oconee SC-27
Pickens SC-28
Anderson SC-30
Abbeville SC-22
Greenville SC-50
Greenwood SC-21
Laurens SC-42
Spartanburg SC-53
Cherokee SC-36
Union SC-31
York SC-43
Chester SC-25

Graham NC-6
Swain NC-8
Macon NC-7
Jackson NC-8
Haywood NC-12
Transylvania NC-13
Madison NC-5
Buncombe NC-14
Henderson NC-17
Yancey NC-6
Mitchell NC-5
Polk NC-18
McDowell NC-14
Avery NC-10
Rutherford NC-27
Burke NC-23
Caldwell NC-21
Cleveland NC-29
Alexander NC-12
Catawba NC-16
Lincoln NC-22
Gaston NC-32
Iredell NC-22
Mecklenburg NC-43
Davie NC-11
Rowan NC-20
Cabarrus NC-22
Union NC-29
Davidson NC-16

Habersham GA-8
Rabun GA-14
Stephens GA-8
Franklin GA-13
Hart GA-13
Elbert GA-10
TLDR, the top 5 most warned counties were Spartanburg SC (53), Greenville SC (50), Mecklenburg NC (43), York SC (43), Laurens SC (42). The SC counties generally had more warnings than even the more warned NC counties, and GA barely had any (Rabun GA led the way with 14). I found this pretty interesting, I really love the seemingly random dynamics of pop up storms. At some pt I may go back and see what % occurred in summer storm season (May-August) and what % occurred outside that window.

Why do I feel like this will be one of those years where it's 100-105 the first week of June and I hate summer for the next 4 months
I feel like we torch in May, but our severe threats will come from NW flow/shortwaves passing to our NE, more typical of a Nina (2011 for ex)

Now who are trying to fool? You missed, what, last year or your mama driving you to the skating ring? I bet you are 17 years old at the most. LOL!
Huh? I’m 18, senior in high school. I get out of school early because I only have 5 classes, and I drive myself home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back