• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m from Florida and California. Didn’t understand a word of this and hope I never do.
Freezing rain falls as liquid but freezes and builds up on cold surfaces like trees and power lines. If enough of it builds up, it brings them down. This is especially true of pine trees, which start to bend over with enough ice, then eventually snap. The smell of pine in the air is one of the most memorable things about an ice storm.

I'm just not even excited about this storm anymore. I went from 2 feet of fantasy snow to freezing rain. A historical snowstorm to a pain in the rear power grid devastation. Honestly, if I can't at least get sleet from this, I'd rather it just fizzle out.

For me, I always feel like I want ice until the Ice actually happens. But there is also the nostalgia factor with ice. It takes me back to 2002 and the sites and sounds from that one which was an event I’ll never forget. Ice is extremely destructive.

Bc it’s extreme weather and it’s fun that’s why most of us like weather
I feel the same. Having an interest in extreme weather is really a double edged sword. You hate to see some of these things happening but it is also fascinating. We can't control the weather at the end of the day though so might as well make the most of it. If we get a massive ice storm I will be outside documenting it all lol.

I'm just not even excited about this storm anymore. I went from 2 feet of fantasy snow to freezing rain. A historical snowstorm to a pain in the rear power grid devastation. Honestly, if I can't at least get sleet from this, I'd rather it just fizzle out.
Or just trend to rain and 33. The ensembles show a lot of those solutions.

What a bunch of wussies up here! 2 hour school delays for -30 to -40 windchills! #SOFT

An ice storm that widespread and destructive would be very unlikely imo. 2014 looked that way at a week out and trended colder and only the southern edges had extreme ice. Imo this either trends to rain or more sleet than ice except on the southern edges.
We know where this one is headed #coldrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back