• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the record I'm still a fan of the pattern. I'm not thrilled by today's trends and would like the boundary a little south. But that's certainly doable. I'm not sure the real Arctic air is coming and I for one like that. Single digits is as bad as 70 degrees here if you're trying to snow. Move the boundary south with the Arctic air close enough to be tapped is good with me.

He works at accu lol and based his forecast off the euro weeklies I’m pretty sure (which was the point).... still a clown
Lol so it was you. Couldn't remember who it was lol. Some Mets deserve to be called clowns if they have a history of hyping and being wrong. But I don't know enough about that particular met to say.

Why do you guys want the arctic to visit so far South? It's a recipe for cold and dry.
That is a fair point. I think we’ve dealt with so many marginal temperature setups lately that it would be nice to have a system without above freezing BL temps and all that. At the same time, we are unlikely to get a big storm with a major Arctic outbreak.

However, I find Arctic outbreaks interesting in and of themselves, though I’d prefer to have snow.

Lol so it was you. Couldn't remember who it was lol. Some Mets deserve to be called clowns if they have a history of hyping and being wrong. But I don't know enough about that particular met to say.
I was sold on that really cold air lol, once brad was especially, and I don’t either, but I heard that forecast was based off the euro weeklies/MJO

That is a fair point. I think we’ve dealt with so many marginal temperature setups lately that it would be nice to have a system without above freezing BL temps and all that. At the same time, we are unlikely to get a big storm with a major Arctic outbreak.

However, I find Arctic outbreaks interesting in and of themselves, though I’d prefer to have snow.

My electric bill hates arctic outbreaks, hah. And my toes.

At the same time it would be nice to get that cold air for areas down south (I-20) to score, with the look now I-85/I-40 would do well

At the same time it would be nice to get that cold air for areas down south (I-20) to score, with the look now I-85/I-40 would do well

With the cold air not entrenched, and close by, I'll take my chances with the current eps, even here, than I would for Miami to be 28F. Phase here we come, please.

Why do you guys want the arctic to visit so far South? It's a recipe for cold and dry.
@SD told me it would be historic ! Idk, some people like the extreme cold. Not me though . In an ideal world Raleigh would range from 10-100 at most in a typical year . Not a fan of single digits and less .

I was sold on that really cold air lol, once brad was especially, and I don’t either, but I heard that forecast was based off the euro weeklies/MJO
Yeah Brad P biting says a lot. And it very well may happen. If it's snow we seek though give me something between what was modeled yesterday and what's modeled now and I'll roll the dice. Good thing is a compromise between the two extremes usually is the way to go and would be good for us. That is as long as we stop the bad trends from here on out.

The way I look at it, it's not going to snow anyway...might as well have some really cold temps for our troubles! Haha

Seriously though, we know the arctic push will either deflect to the plains or not be nearly as strong when it arrives. So I don't mind it showing up super dry and bitterly cold 10 days out. My hope is to at least actually have some bonafide arctic air nearby to be tapped. Because for whatever reason, these marginal situations don't seem to work around my area anymore.

If I am reading charts right, the GFS v16 is actually doing quite well in regards to temperatures and 500mb versus the OP GFS and actually may be showing signs of winning out over the OP Euro right now. Within hour 120, though.

Lets hug the v16!

If I am reading charts right, the GFS v16 is actually doing quite well in regards to temperatures and 500mb versus the OP GFS and actually may be showing signs of winning out over the OP Euro right now. Within hour 120, though.

Lets hug the v16!
Wow, euro is getting old. Gfs is rising ! Icon is rising!

Wow, euro is getting old. Gfs is rising ! Icon is rising!

Last documentation I read about the ICON is it uses ECMWF initialization data.. not sure by now. Another thing I read was that if the older generations of the GFS were given the Euro's initilization data, it would produce more accurate forecasts than the Euro, maybe for the continental USA. Which is interesting because that was before the upgrades and all, but if that is the case, maybe we really need to work on our network of weather data to feed it. As models get higher resolution, one small error can compound exponentially and wreck the entire forecast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back