• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not to bash anyone on this board. But I don't understand the thought of some that someone without a degree can't question a meteorologist. I'm mean take JB for example. He seems to be the laughing stock of the weather world and the guy has more knowledge than almost anyone I'm sure. But you can only be wrong so many times before people question you. I know plenty of folks in this hobby who you'd never know didn't have a degree. Personally I think in any field a degree is just a starting point. In my field a degree got me in the door but I realized quickly it caused me to over think things in the field. Once I learned to start simple in my thought process and get real-world experience it made me a lot better at my job. I think this logic applies to most fields of work.

This is not to bash anyone on this board. But I don't understand the thought of some that someone without a degree can't question a meteorologist. I'm mean take JB for example. He seems to be the laughing stock of the weather world and the guy has more knowledge than almost anyone I'm sure. But you can only be wrong so many times before people question you. I know plenty of folks in this hobby who you'd never know didn't have a degree. Personally I think in any field a degree is just a starting point. In my field a degree got me in the door but I realized quickly it caused me to over think things in the field. Once I learned to start simple in my thought process and get real-world experience it made me a lot better at my job. I think this logic applies to most fields of work.
Really good post. Anybody can be questioned. And anyone that's unwilling to be questioned should be looked at with skepticism. I'm not saying anyone here has a problem with being questioned...it's just a general opinion. There are quite a few viewpoints that are valid when it comes to weather and forecasting. A forecast is a skilled guess. It's not a gold stamp guarantee. It's a guess. And the method for making a guess is ok to debate, IMO.

Really good post. Anybody can be questioned. And anyone that's unwilling to be questioned should be looked at with skepticism. I'm not saying anyone here has a problem with being questioned...it's just a general opinion. There are quite a few viewpoints that are valid when it comes to weather and forecasting. A forecast is a skilled guess. It's not a gold stamp guarantee. It's a guess. And the method for making a guess is ok to debate, IMO.
Yes. And this board has an incredible depth and breadth of knowledge. Why can't we all just be on the same team and when we see things differently be willing to talk about it and agree to disagree if we must? Dang we all want the same thing (well at except for those wackos who like sleet ;) ;) ). I hope like heck I'm wrong and we get 20" of snow next week. The personal insults and attacks should just not be tolerated whether that's me or anyone else IMO. And I was guilty of that tonight, and for that I apologize. Hard when you're being called out just for having a different (even though I explained it) opinion about something. Heck, to my knowledge, I was one of the first to talk about this possible event and I have been desperately wanting it to work out.

Last edited:
Yes. And this board has an incredible depth and breadth of knowledge. Why can't we all just be on the same team and when we see things differently be willing to talk about it and agree to disagree if we must? Dang we all want the same thing (well at except for those wackos who like sleet ;) ;) ). I hope like heck I'm wrong and we get 20" of snow next week. The personal insults and attacks should just not be tolerated whether that's me or anyone else IMO. And I was guilty of that tonight, and for that I apologize. Hard when you're being called out just for having a different (even though I explained it) opinion about something. Heck, to my knowledge, I was one of the first to talk about this possible event and I have been desperately wanting it to work out.
I'm so desperate, I'd take a 1'' of sleet right about now.

From my MLK day hike above Montreat NC. First pic shows the trail which was basically a sheet of ice with a dusting on top all the way. I never completely ate it but slipped quite a few times. Also did some pretty technical rock climbing (by layman’s standards at least) near the top that was also icy. So quite the adventure AB0EA877-E612-4B55-B74D-E9E4F94C9194.jpeg
827a4559-5fb0-4bbf-8b3a-516467c50652-jpeg.67394
5017B072-7DC4-4169-A417-339BF52178C1.jpeg

Attachments

• 827A4559-5FB0-4BBF-8B3A-516467C50652.jpeg
    827A4559-5FB0-4BBF-8B3A-516467C50652.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 141
Tbh that is one of those rare songs I could listen to 10x in a row and not get sick of it at all. Enter Sandman is in that rarefied air too in my book.
Nightmare-Avenged Sevenfold! Awesome song! Fu$$ing rocks
Volbeat-Sadmans tongue- killer

People can call me a weenie but I swear models trend bad but also trend good again .. eventually when u get close enough the trends get smaller and more in line .. but we were 4-6 days away and now we’re getting to 3-4 days away and we lost in medium to long and now we are bringing it back with good amount of time ahead to make more minute changes that can as you see tonight make huge differences in outcomes

People can call me a weenie but I swear models trend bad but also trend good again .. eventually when u get close enough the trends get smaller and more in line .. but we were 4-6 days away and now we’re getting to 3-4 days away and we lost in medium to long and now we are bringing it back with good amount of time ahead to make more minute changes that can as you see tonight make huge differences in outcomes
Weenie

Rah has removed any mention of wintry precip from the forecast sooooo we're clear for a positive trend now ?
I knew who did their long term forecast before I even went and checked. Checked and was correct. Mentions weaker high pressure and warmer temps, but not a very thorough discussion of the situation IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back