• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you might need to find a hobby in addition to chasing snow in the SOUTH. It will give you something productive and fulfilling to do instead of complaining endlessly about warmth and a lack of snow in the SOUTH.

Some of you might need to find a hobby in addition to chasing snow in the SOUTH. It will give you something productive and fulfilling to do instead of complaining endlessly about warmth and a lack of snow in the SOUTH.

9890c7acd8e42d7efb578fe1742a248f.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest, and since I already preached once today I thought I might as well preach another sermon!

In all seriousness, the advice I give comes from my own learning experiences. Trust me--take my advice and find something else to do when the weather is not delivering. You will find that when it does snow again, you will enjoy it all the more.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest, and since I already preached once today I thought I might as well preach another sermon!

In all seriousness, the advice I give comes from my own learning experiences. Trust me--take my advice and find something else to do when the weather is not delivering. You will find that when it does snow again, you will enjoy it all the more.

Or consider doing what I do since I get wintry precip here only about once every ~5 years on average (and often those are just flurries): find something else about wx that’s interesting in winter to follow other than wintry precip in one’s backyard. It could just be following the often changing hemispheric patterns. Or maybe just making predictions based on model output and adjusting it for model trends and biases. A truly well rounded wx enthusiast imo is
going to be interested in more than just wintry precip and especially more than just wintry precip in one’s backyard.

I probably love wintry precip IMBY just as much as most of you. But I don’t get depressed if I get none. Also, I don’t get mad if others get it all around me and I don’t. Mother Nature isn’t trying to piss me off lol. It is random. Plus, there are much more important things in life to be concerned about like one’s health, for example.

Last edited:
We really suck. This is gonna be a long stretch of terrible Winter weather

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
With your negative input as always, it's very depressing coming on here just to see all your negative post about this winter. We get it!!! I have a ignore button, and I'm gonna see how it works.

We really suck. This is gonna be a long stretch of terrible Winter weather

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

What do you mean when you say, “we really suck?”

Who’s “we” and what exactly do those people suck at? What did they do that’s wrong or bad? What do these folks need to do to improve on whatever they suck at?

Does anyone else notice that no matter what kind of ENSO conditions or alignment of various indexes we have, year after year, our predominant pattern seems to feature troughs dropping into the southwest, storms that cut, and a general ridging in the east (or at best, near normal heights)? El Nino, La Nina, Neutral, -EPO, +EPO, -NAO, +NAO, -QBO, +QBO, Super cold stratosphere, SSW, you name it. Maybe something else is exerting upon the pattern and we just don't understand it yet. I'm kind of leaning that way.

Whatever it is doing, it can keep doing. The 2010-2020 decade has been the snowiest of my life by far.

We’ve kinda sucked for the past 5 yearsor so here in north Alabama. We’ve seen good snows go above us and even below us. We’re so due something more than a dusting

You can read the tension in each post. Man I love winter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to the frequent changes from day to day/volatlity, winter is by far the most interesting season regardless of how the wx is in one's BY. It makes forecasting a real challenge. To me it sure beats the typical dog days summer broken record of PC, hot, and humid with a chance of afternoon and evening thunderstorms day after day. Where/if the storms pop up each day as well as the movement and strength of them is itself quite interesting due to the often random nature of them and experiencing them is never boring, but it still imo pales in comparison to winter in terms of both overall interest and especially in terms of comfort.

I’m not normally this optimistic lol trust me but I just don’t see the complete gloom and doom with this, this past winter (19-20) yeah that was bad, there was no signs at all, no blocking, strong PV, but I like seeing the block stay this go around, just my opinion, eventually the pacific will improve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back