• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can only get so far. I could see this trend south over the next few days but we shall see
I’m assuming the trend to something worse with the first wave given a stronger Canada trough diving south helps out the second one and that’s exactly what’s happening, given the trough close the GL becomes our 50/50, is this why you think it becomes better ? 56F0C2F9-383C-4461-A3CF-44AEB27A1A88.gif

I’m assuming the trend to something worse with the first wave given a stronger Canada trough diving south helps out the second one and that’s exactly what’s happening, given the trough close the GL becomes our 50/50, is this why you think it becomes better ? View attachment 56840
Exactly. As it stands right now it's a miller b with the parent dying in OH/WV and a secondary taking off along the coastal trough in eastern NC probably some actual onset ice and maybe a decent ice event for the immediate foothills.

You would think in time the wave would start to move a little south/sheared/weaker but then again we had a similar situation to this a few years ago and it didn't happen so.

I really don't see any potential for winter storms east of the mountains or in the deep south anytime soon. I think we are all trying to hunt for things that just aren't there including myself. I hope I'm wrong

I can say after living in Kansas for two years, their snow isn't as fun as ours. At least when I was there it was more like packing peanuts. It just blew and was very dry. I like our wet snows on the east coast better.
Wet snow makes for harder shoveling. I'll take dry snow.

I’d be interested in knowing the backstory behind this storm, the latest snowfall on record for Raleigh:

View attachment 56799

@Webberweather53, you don’t have a map on this on your site, but do you know anything about April 18, 1983? That was Raleigh’s latest measurable snowfall. I recall 1.8”?

There's a very interesting backstory on that event haha, this storm in May 1939 according to reports from Roxboro, Oxford, & Henderson occurred in the middle of the day from 10am-12pm with heavy rain & thunderstorms transitioning to a thundergraupel, thundersleet, and thundersnow mix that accumulated to 1-2" in total for the VA border counties. Just goes to show the sun angle doesn't mean crap when you're socked in w/ clouds and heavy precipitation is falling!

The April 1983 storm is a freak event (not as extreme as May 1939 obviously), with a very deep upper level trough & accompanying coastal low off the Carolinas providing moderate-heavy precipitation and cold air advection which was just barely enough to flip many to very wet snow. This Apr 1983 event also possessed an unusually intense subtropical jet, as you'd probably suspect given we were still in the middle of the 1982-83 "Super" El Nino.

1607636764274.png

1607636780275.png

Sun angle starts increasing in 11 days. Can't wait for the longer days. Actually the afternoons are already starting to gain daylight while the mornings continue to lose daylight.
Yea me either. I really looking forward to humidity, unrelenting heat, the sun chasing me like the one in super mario 3, the a/c running 18 hours a day, every surface on my car being made of lava.

I don't know how anyone could hate summer.

Yea me either. I really looking forward to humidity, unrelenting heat, and the sun chasing me like the one in super mario 3

I don't know how anyone could hate summer.
I could do without the unrelenting humidity but I do enjoy seeing the sun more in the evenings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back