• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Anyone ever see deer get aggressive toward humans if the humans are just going about their business like walking along a path? I've never seen them do so and have seen them numerous times during the evening along walking trails with them grazing nearby. Usually, they'll scamper away real quickly when they see a human approaching the area from a safe distance where they're eating. However, last evening I noticed a buck with beautiful antlers just stand there looking at me from not more than about 40-50 feet off the path as I passed. I made sure not to make eye contact just in case. Should I have been more cautious? I checked and there have been no reports of aggressive deer. I've always thought it was cool to see them.

Anyone ever see deer get aggressive toward humans if the humans are just going about their business like walking along a path? I've never seen them do so and have seen them numerous times during the evening along walking trails with them grazing nearby. Usually, they'll scamper away real quickly when they see a human approaching the area from a safe distance where they're eating. However, last evening I noticed a buck with beautiful antlers just stand there looking at me from not more than about 40-50 feet off the path as I passed. I made sure not to make eye contact just in case. Should I have been more cautious? I checked and there have been no reports of aggressive deer. I've always thought it was cool to see them.
Usually no but there have been attacks on humans before but most of the time the individual was using some sort of attractant (for hunting purposes) or just caught in the middle type of situation. Now with that said, it is that time of year, bucks are in rut and if you are between a buck and a doe, well they might get tunnel vision. So caution yes but rare for one to just take off and attack a human for nothing.

edit: I wouldn't necessarily take my eyes off of him though and next time take a picture :)

Usually no but there have been attacks on humans before but most of the time the individual was using some sort of attractant (for hunting purposes) or just caught in the middle type of situation. Now with that said, it is that time of year, bucks are in rut and if you are between a buck and a doe, well they might get tunnel vision. So caution yes but rare for one to just take off and attack a human for nothing.

edit: I wouldn't necessarily take my eyes off of him though and next time take a picture :)

Thanks. I'll try lol.
Why do you suggest not to take my eyes off of him? Don't some animals get spooked when a human makes eye contact because they think the human may be a threat by doing so?

@Storm5
Charlie,
Any chance of some truly good sweat shirts and/or long sleeve T's in the store this year? Will buy, if so. Just hoping they can be worn down here ... :cool:
Phil

I’ll work on it and have an update by weeks end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll try lol.
Why do you suggest not to take my eyes off of him? Don't some animals get spooked when a human makes eye contact because they think the human may be a threat by doing so?
Deer aren't aggressive by nature and making eye contact will not make them fill threatened. They may be curious but I'd just rather keep my eyes on a buck, with one thing on his mind mentality, then turn my back on him completely. I see them all the time when I'm out running but mind you, its before sunrise and I have a headlamp which just freezes them or scares them off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll try lol.

Bucks in Rut can be unpredictable, they want sex and that’s all they want, if you are in the way they will move you with thinking. Most tend to stay away from humans but some are crazy. Deer aren’t as dangerous as pigs. Pigs will run you up a tree and wait.( I’ve had it done a few times)

1. Take friend along.
2. Carry big knife or tomahawk
3. Duke it out with friend videoing
4. To the victor goes the spoils.

It’s happening!

b00d6999638ac3eb214be65e39e082a3.jpg

Back