• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Any Mac users on here? Preferably iMac users? I’m seriously considering buying an iMac because I want to get back into graphic design and hopefully video editing for my very dormant gaming YouTube channel. The Windows PC I bought back in November 2017 sucks it really can’t handle using Adobe Creative Cloud programs or rendering large HD videos well without the fans sounding like they are about to explode. lol I'm not the most tech savvy, but I'm savvy enough to know the more RAM/Memory the better the performance so I want to max out the Memory (not through Apple, but through Amazon, most are under $200.) and I'll probably get 1TB SSD for the RAM because my understanding is SSDs are the best for internal storage. Something else I learned last night was that the current macOS mojave? is compatible with Windows so you can literally have the interface of your iMac set up like a Windows PC, that's pretty cool. I knew Microsoft Office apps were compatible with Mac, but I didn't know the Windows OS was also, that alone sold me.

I want to get one of these two 27in. iMac 5K models
https://www.apple.com/us_epp_120269/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MRR02LL/A&step=config#
https://www.apple.com/us_epp_120269/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MRR12LL/A&step=config#

EDIT: To sum this all up, are iMacs worth it over PCs? Does it really live up to the hype Apple claims?

Last edited:
Any Mac users on here? Preferably iMac users? I’m seriously considering buying an iMac because I want to get back into graphic design and hopefully video editing for my very dormant gaming YouTube channel. The Windows PC I bought back in November 2017 sucks it really can’t handle using Adobe Creative Cloud programs or rendering large HD videos well without the fans sounding like they are about to explode. lol I'm not the most tech savvy, but I'm savvy enough to know the more RAM/Memory the better the performance so I want to max out the Memory (not through Apple, but through Amazon, most are under $200.) and I'll probably get 1TB SSD for the RAM because my understanding is SSDs are the best for internal storage. Something else I learned last night was that the current macOS mojave? is compatible with Windows so you can literally have the interface of your iMac set up like a Windows PC, that's pretty cool. I knew Microsoft Office apps were compatible with Mac, but I didn't know the Windows OS was also, that alone sold me.

https://www.apple.com/us_epp_120269/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MRR02LL/A&step=config#
https://www.apple.com/us_epp_120269/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MRR12LL/A&step=config#

I’ve had a Mac mini up until last year. They aren’t bad, but the only drawbacks are that they don’t run some applications such as Grlevelx products and WSV3. I’ve downloaded so many games and weather products only to find out they were not compatible. Macs Runs adobe products fine from what I remember. If you want to do YouTube and recording. Mac’s have an application called QuickTime player that will record your screen really smoothly without watermarks and payment.
If I were you I would get a new pc which are a lot cheaper. I’m a graphic designer as well and I use a Wacom tablet as a monitor . I have found that Macs were a little better in that aspect as designing. You can run windows OS parallel to Mac however I believe you can’t run PC only applications on It. Though I could be 100% wrong. Macs don’t get viruses which Is a plus.
The best option would be to get a better PC and maybe look Into a Wacom tablet for the same experience as an iMac for designing. They are a little Pricey though. However so are iMacs. I don’t think they really live up to the hype. They have some bells and whistles and are not much of a difference from PC .I hope that helps,

Last edited:
It is
Looks like the FV3 doesn't suck as much. RIP 2020 clown maps. However, in all seriousness, I'm glad that the GFS model is doing wellView attachment 21284
It is infinitely easier for a model to be accurate in the Summer since the variables are very much more constant than they are in Winter. Also the range of factors/teleconnections that influence weather are much more dramatic and increasingly changeable as we get nearer to and beyond the Winter Solstice. Meteorologists love forecasting in the summer but find winter much more challenging to forecast, as do models

It is

It is infinitely easier for a model to be accurate in the Summer since the variables are very much more constant than they are in Winter. Also the range of factors/teleconnections that influence weather are much more dramatic and increasingly changeable as we get nearer to and beyond the Winter Solstice. Meteorologists love forecasting in the summer but find winter much more challenging to forecast, as do models

I understand what you mean on that. The models will score much lower during the winter. I don’t have a graphic from last summer but I remember the FV3 scoring horribly. I know that the GFS and Euro scored high in relation to the winter months. However you have to admit the difference between the 2 models are very low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EDIT: To sum this all up, are iMacs worth it over PCs? Does it really live up to the hype Apple claims?
Bought my 1st Mac in 1984; would not have anything else. I have four 27" iMacs, two MBP's, and can do anything without the hassle of AV ... and with AppleCare, you have real 24/7/365 help and solutions on anything ...

You can't use an SSD as the memory, at least not easily. And it would be considerably slower than your actual system memory. Unless you need Apple exclusive software, I'd consider building a Windows based computer, it'd be considerably cheaper and far more powerful than an equivalent cost Apple machine.

You can't use an SSD as the memory, at least not easily. And it would be considerably slower than your actual system memory. Unless you need Apple exclusive software, I'd consider building a Windows based computer, it'd be considerably cheaper and far more powerful than an equivalent cost Apple machine.
Beg to differ ... ;)

New roller coaster coming to Busch Gardens Williamsburg next year! It's called Pantheon, and will be themed on the Roman gods. It will be the fastest multi-launch coaster in North America, with a 72.5mph top speed. It features four launches (36mph, 50mph, 61mph, and 67mph), a Zero-G Winder, a 178ft vertical spike, a top hat, a 180ft, 95 degree drop down to the Rhine River, an outward-banked airtime hill, a Top Gun Stall/Inverted Airtime Hill, and a Wall Stall. All of this is packed into 3300ft of track—4200ft if you factor in repeated track segment. Ride time is roughly 150 seconds. It will run two trains with 20 riders per train and it's manufactured by Intamin.

Okay, so an award show is going to have a surprise set with New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys, and NSYNC, in that order. Each group gets to sing one song from their catalog. You get to pick the songs each group gets to perform. Which ones would you pick for each group?

Okay, so an award show is going to have a surprise set with New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys, and NSYNC, in that order. Each group gets to sing one song from their catalog. You get to pick the songs each group gets to perform. Which ones would you pick for each group?

The Mute Button. :)

Okay Ill play. From NKOTB Id take I'll be loving you forever. From Blackstreet I'll take No Diggity. From NSYNC uh, whatever the general public wants.

Back in the late 70's early 80's (my childhood), we use to get thunderstorms from towering/rolling cumulonimbus clouds that you could see form from the SW and they'd move NE into my area (Cary NC). Now it seems we seldom get these and most of our storms are from stratocumulus or some other form. What has changed in the weather that has caused the decrease in cumulonimbus type thunderstorm formations?

Back in the late 70's early 80's (my childhood), we use to get thunderstorms from towering/rolling cumulonimbus clouds that you could see form from the SW and they'd move NE into my area (Cary NC). Now it seems we seldom get these and most of our storms are from stratocumulus or some other form. What has changed in the weather that has caused the decrease in cumulonimbus type thunderstorm formations?

I remember in the 80s growing up in Durham we seemed to get those kind of storms at least once a week in summer.

I'm flying in for a brief trip to Greensboro next week. Any of you NC peeps have any recommendations for a good lunch spot around downtown?

I'm flying in for a brief trip to Greensboro next week. Any of you NC peeps have any recommendations for a good lunch spot around downtown?
We've got a few members that live around that area but I don't think I've seen them on here lately other than @EV_WS and @Poimen they may be able to suggest something. I'm sure I'm missing some...

Crafted The Art of The Taco is a must!! You can Google it. Welcome to the Triad.
Edit: Dame's Chicken & Waffles is a Great Choice Too.

Back