• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Cool video! Fro just got a tent from that shelf cloud on the beach!!⛺⛺️??

With all the time in the hospital the past week, Ive watched too many Forged and Fire episodes and youtubes that Ive been bitten by the bug again.

Ive gotta get my shop finished.

I’m looking to establish a privacy and noise reduction hedge on one side of MBY about 5-10 feet from the property line. There currently are a lot of small to medium sized trees with some underbrush including palmettos. So, it is not at all barren. So, whatever plants would be added would need to do well in shade. I’m looking to fill in the gaps and turn it into more of a hedge. I’d like it to be several feet thick and 10-15+ feet high, at least in portions of it.

What plants would be the best choices for this situation to incorporate the trees and underbrush that is there now and that would fill in within 1-2 years in an already shady environment? I’m willing to spend a good bit of $, if necessary. As mentioned, increased privacy as well as a sound barrier are goals. @Tarheel1 @Arcc @POWERSTROKE and anyone else, any opinions? Thanks in advance.

I’m looking to establish a privacy and noise reduction hedge on one side of MBY about 5-10 feet from the property line. There currently are a lot of small to medium sized trees with some underbrush including palmettos. So, it is not at all barren. So, whatever plants would be added would need to do well in shade. I’m looking to fill in the gaps and turn it into more of a hedge. I’d like it to be several feet thick and 10-15+ feet high, at least in portions of it.

What plants would be the best choices for this situation to incorporate the trees and underbrush that is there now and that would fill in within 1-2 years in an already shady environment? I’m willing to spend a good bit of $, if necessary. As mentioned, increased privacy as well as a sound barrier are goals. @Tarheel1 @Arcc @POWERSTROKE and anyone else, any opinions? Thanks in advance.
IMO, the best plants for shade in your area, would be camellia. The camellia japonicas need almost full shade and have all shades of flowers that bloom in the spring. And they are evergreen and grow fairly quickly , given enough moisture and they are tough as nails! Should be easy to find varieties that grow 10-20’. There are also camellia sasanquas that do well in full shade to full sun! They blooms in late fall ( October-December) and are evergreen as well, with a variety of flower colors and heights as well!

IMO, the best plants for shade in your area, would be camellia. The camellia japonicas need almost full shade and have all shades of flowers that bloom in the spring. And they are evergreen and grow fairly quickly , given enough moisture and they are tough as nails! Should be easy to find varieties that grow 10-20’. There are also camellia sasanquas that do well in full shade to full sun! They blooms in late fall ( October-December) and are evergreen as well, with a variety of flower colors and heights as well!

Thanks, Mack! So, these camellias would do well with a lot of preexisting trees/shrubs closeby?

Would some kind of bamboo also work? I’ve heard those can be good for privacy and noise reduction due to being thick and fast growing. But would they do well in shade and with trees very close to them?

Thanks, Mack! So, these camellias would do well with a lot of preexisting trees/shrubs closeby?

Would some kind of bamboo also work? I’ve heard those can be good for privacy and noise reduction due to being thick and fast growing. But would they do well in shade and with trees very close to them?
If you can get the camellias established, they will be fine. Maybe have to start with smaller plants, 1 gallon size, to squeeze in between the existing tree roots! Shade under trees is a very tough situation, I’m not sure if there is a bamboo that likes shade, there could be, I’m just not familiar. Hard to think of a lot of good hedges that would do well under shade and pre existing plants/trees and get the height you are after

Not sure the variety Camellia I had nor when it bloomed as it was nearly 10 years ago. (Previous home in Winston Salem). HOLY CRAP what an absolute beautiful specimen. Nearly 10-12' ft and so thick you couldn't see through them. 90% shade, green year round and the red bloom was stunning!!

Not sure the variety Camellia I had nor when it bloomed as it was nearly 10 years ago. (Previous home in Winston Salem). HOLY CRAP what an absolute beautiful specimen. Nearly 10-12' ft and so thick you couldn't see through them. 90% shade, green year round and the red bloom was stunning!!
Yeah, there is actually a species called Greensboro Red, not sure if that was it.yuletide is another variety with red flowered! There are tons of cultivars with flowers from white to red to pink and variegated flowers also! Great shrub/tree!

DO NOT plant Bamboo. As nice as it looks, once it starts to spread its almost impossible to stop. Once it matures the new stalks will gain five to ten feet a year and unless you cut them when they first pop out of the ground, they harden into strong bamboo that can pop a mower tire. Also even if you cut the new stalks down, the new stalks next year will make it another five to ten feet from them. The roots are also just bamboo.

It does good in shade, but it will take over.

Back