• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Another bug I accept in my garden as long as It don’t block the way is this, orb weaver, also cellar spiders are good at removing pests, saw one last year eating two small
Tomato hornworms, probably flicked them on to the web
View attachment 18053
I’m terrified of spiders, but I let these live and usually have 5-10 around my bushes every year!

I’m terrified of spiders, but I let these live and usually have 5-10 around my bushes every year!

On Sunday I went under a house for a side job just to push a wire through a space leading into the laundry room, the unfortunate part was that it was all the way at the back of the house, I don’t think I ever want to go under a house again, insulation/crawl space was full of brown recluses/cellar spiders, not even gonna lie, I was about to pass out, I was scared sh**less, manage to do the job without getting bit, suprisingly. I at least saw 300 or more spiders, + the spiderlings, bug fogger DOES NOT WORK AGAINST SPIDERS, lol

On Sunday I went under a house for a side job just to push a wire through a space leading into the laundry room, the unfortunate part was that it was all the way at the back of the house, I don’t think I ever want to go under a house again, insulation/crawl space was full of brown recluses/cellar spiders, not even gonna lie, I was about to pass out, I was scared sh**less, manage to do the job without getting bit, suprisingly. I at least saw 300 or more spiders, + the spiderlings, bug fogger DOES NOT WORK AGAINST SPIDERS, lol
spiders and weather; ahhh ... Tony (@dsaur) has some good lore on those ... watch for his updates as seasons progress

one interesting thing tho is that every year, I see 1-3 more actual tarantula hawk wasps, which you find more in the South/SW US, weird how I see more every year, there huge aswell, they have one of the most painful stings to man if I’m not mistaken

I was curious. H/T Wikipedia

Tarantula hawk wasps are relatively docile and rarely sting without provocation. However, the sting—particularly that of P. grossa—is among the most painful of all insects, though the intense pain only lasts about five minutes.[8] One researcher described the pain as "...immediate, excruciating, unrelenting pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."[5] In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt sting pain index, second only to that of the bullet ant, and is described by Schmidt as "blinding, fierce[, and] shockingly electric".[2] Because of their extremely large stingers, very few animals are able to eat them; one of the few that can is the roadrunner. Many predatory animals avoid these wasps, and many different insects mimic them, including various other wasps and bees (Müllerian mimics), as well as moths, flies (e.g., mydas flies), and beetles (e.g., Tragidion) (Batesian mimics).

Jussie Smollett cleared of all charges. There’s your first distraction following the Mueller flop. Look for more later this week. This stuff is so predictable

I’ll leave it at that

I had a spider cricket infestation under my house last year. Any tips on getting rid of those things if they come back?

I was curious. H/T Wikipedia

Tarantula hawk wasps are relatively docile and rarely sting without provocation. However, the sting—particularly that of P. grossa—is among the most painful of all insects, though the intense pain only lasts about five minutes.[8] One researcher described the pain as "...immediate, excruciating, unrelenting pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."[5] In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt sting pain index, second only to that of the bullet ant, and is described by Schmidt as "blinding, fierce[, and] shockingly electric".[2] Because of their extremely large stingers, very few animals are able to eat them; one of the few that can is the roadrunner. Many predatory animals avoid these wasps, and many different insects mimic them, including various other wasps and bees (Müllerian mimics), as well as moths, flies (e.g., mydas flies), and beetles (e.g., Tragidion) (Batesian mimics).
Here’s a crazy dude that lets things sting him, just skip ahead if you want to get into the sting zone !! ?

The mud or dirt dauber doesn't bother me, the one below oth invokes absolute terror in me....
View attachment 18050
+1000 I hate these good for nothing SOB's. They always build nests inside the crevice of my garage door jams every year. I walk around with 2 cans of hornet/wasp spray and shoot them out of mid air and seem to never make a dent. This year I'm on a mission and I'm going to try Delta Dust with a bulb duster. I'll let you know how it works out.

I had a spider cricket infestation under my house last year. Any tips on getting rid of those things if they come back?

Bug fogger should work against them, otherwise peppermint oil repels them, also sticky traps, i had problems with them under my house a few years ago and the bug fogger eliminated them, unfortunately it made real spiders under that house more aggressive, probably due to nerve damage but not killing them completely

+1000 I hate these good for nothing SOB's. They always build nests inside the crevice of my garage door jams every year. I walk around with 2 cans of hornet/wasp spray and shoot them out of mid air and seem to never make a dent. This year I'm on a mission and I'm going to try Delta Dust with a bulb duster. I'll let you know how it works out.

I used to suffocate them in a jar when I was younger, Lol

Old farm boy here ... a wadded up newspaper (in the shape of a baseball bat) and a Bic cigarette lighter is a real effective way to get rid of nests ... light, fire and extinguish ... just don't burn the barn down doing it ...

Let’s not forget how annoying these damn things are.... ok I’m done bringing up bugs lol
223D0B90-B3F5-4AAE-8540-1CD28B0EE61B.jpeg

Every spring I go on a mission and initiate an all out preemptive attack. As it warms up and they start building I locate as many nest as possible. Then inevitably we have one last late season cold night, I head out early that morning and annihilate as many nest as possible. Cans of wasp spray in hand, under the deck, the porch, behind shutters, my sheds, the fence everywhere I can find them. Of course it still doesn't get all of them but I'm convinced it helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Every spring I go on a mission and initiate an all out preemptive attack. As it warms up and they start building I locate as many nest as possible. Then inevitably we have one last late season cold night, I head out early that morning and annihilate as many nest as possible. Cans of wasp spray in hand, under the deck, the porch, behind shutters, my sheds, the fence everywhere I can find them. Of course it still doesn't get all of them but I'm convinced it helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That makes a huge difference as far as Im concerned. The wasp that start the nest is the queen that over winters, so every wasp you kill in the spring takes out a whole nest.

I search and destroy every spring and it helps. I hate wasps more than Rattlesnakes.

Back