• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Got to put in a lot of work. Getting soil ready, fighting off bugs and disease. I consider myself a decent gardener, and I struggle with tomatoes every year. Then the hornworms get em! Hot peppers grow well, bell peppers not so much! You just about can’t kill basil, just have well drained soil. Grew cucumbers for the first time last year, they were very successful! Keep good water on stuff from a drip hose, water splashing up on tomatoes and stuff, from overhead watering,is bad. Keep everything fertilized well. If you don’t soil test, just use 10-10-10 fertilizer
The only way to get rid of the horn worms is to look the plants over every day and find those suckers and kill them before they eat too much. They can be a pistol to find, due to their excellent camouflage and the ability to remain perfectly still when you are moving the plants around. Just look around the area of missing leaves and you'll eventually see them.
As for cucumbers, I have found that they climb very well. I have section of fencing that I previously used for roses, and that works really well. They completely cover that thing and I can pick them without bending over and hunting. Also, the cucumbers have no soil on them and I only have to give them a quick rinse before they are ready to eat.

The only way to get rid of the horn worms is to look the plants over every day and find those suckers and kill them before they eat too much. They can be a pistol to find, due to their excellent camouflage and the ability to remain perfectly still when you are moving the plants around. Just look around the area of missing leaves and you'll eventually see them.
As for cucumbers, I have found that they climb very well. I have section of fencing that I previously used for roses, and that works really well. They completely cover that thing and I can pick them without bending over and hunting. Also, the cucumbers have no soil on them and I only have to give them a quick rinse before they are ready to eat.
Yeah, I have seen hornworms defoliate a single 5’ plant overnight! I try to keep an eye out, but they are voracious! Also y’all should grow moonvine, if you’ve never tried them! Easy to grow from seed and will take over a trellis in weeks! Huge whit flowers, smell great! Only an annual!

Fishing has been picking up lately. Bass really starting to get in shallower water. We had double digits after the rain today. Best time of year approaching for the water

Hadn't said it until now but there was a day this week that I felt was an immaculate weather day. 72 degrees, so it felt a bit warm at times, but the wind made it feel cool, and it was fairly dry.

Then today was on the warmer side but then after some rain came through, it really cooled off and I had pho for the first time in my life due to it. It was pretty good.

Nothing like 2 hour baseball practice in 44 degree weather, and wind gusts of 25 mph +! Winning

Will gladly take 3 consecutive upcoming nights in the 40's and 3 days in the 60's, one of them 62º, and some rain to wash out the pollen, in mid-March, in Gainesville FL, thank you ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
FFC concerned that a drought may be developing soon in GA:

Too soon to tell what rest of the spring will look like, but
starting to see signs in CFS v2 and other climate models that
drought conditions may further develop over middle GA and could
spread north unless we get back in wet pattern.

Pretty dry inside 200hr but plenty of precip from 200 on. I’m not sure there’s cause for concern right now
3CD3AAF7-284C-4D13-A535-4A3CD9498490.png

I could use 30 days rain free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back