• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Here’s the right question:

Scenario A: It snows 4 hours in Raleigh from 11:00 AM until 3:00 PM on December 21 at a rate of 1”/hr, with a ground temp of 45F and an air temp of 30F.

Scenario B: It snows 4 hours in Raleigh from 11:00 AM until 3:00 PM on June 21 at a rate of 1”/hr, with a ground temp of 45F and an air temp of 30F.

At 3:01 PM, under which scenario will the snow depth be the greatest?

Bonus question: Under which scenario will the snow melt the fastest, assuming constant air and ground temperatures and complete and equal cloud cover until 100% snow melt?

Scenario A: It snows 4 hours in Raleigh from 11:00 AM until 3:00 PM on December 21 at a rate of 1”/hr, with a ground temp of 45F and an air temp of 30F.

Scenario B: It snows 4 hours in Raleigh from 11:00 AM until 3:00 PM on June 21 at a rate of 1”/hr, with a ground temp of 45F and an air temp of 30F.

Bonus question: Under which scenario will the snow melt the fastest, assuming constant air and ground temperatures and complete and equal cloud cover until 100% snow melt?
1. Simple. They are the same.
Bonus - June because this is the only aspect that sun angle actually has on snow is melt rate due to having more time above the horizon.

Earth is farthest from the sun July 6th, always wanted to see that effect on snow.

Snow depth on what surface? ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Air temp probably means the most of everything, last January I probably had about an hour and a half to two hours of moderate snow with I think what would've been enough for a half inch of snow, but I was above freezing. So none of it stuck. The last time snow actually stuck on the ground at this house was back in 2016 and it was with not too much precip and it had rained beforehand. It simply was snowing with it mostly at 30-32 degrees. It did snow for longer though.

Can't lie, it was sneakily pretty even though it was not major accumulation. I stopped to look out in the backyard for a few minutes due to that.

Snow depth on what surface? ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I like measuring either in tall, unmowed grass or the tops of bushes preferably a boxwood that has been expertly shaped into a square with a perfectly flat top.

June. Because the rate of 1" an hour will accumulate 8" and then you will wake up.

In December, you cant even get a -NAO in your dreams thus you get a warm nose 6" above the ground.

B melts the fastest, more insolation from the sun.

Back