• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

the Euro has the coldest temps of the entire winter here next week

in March :rolleyes:

not a flake of snow either

Really just the final nail in the coffin for this epic fail of a winter, I hope the pattern does flip after this

Yea this was a NC winter, last year was West Ga/ AL. Maybe next year it’s East GA/ SC turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 storm makes it an N.C. winter? It is largely sucked for us too... I wasn’t even in the country during the snow so I haven’t seen it snow yet, other than tiny flakes one day. 1 snow vs 0 isn’t much of a difference lol

1 storm makes it an N.C. winter? It is largely sucked for us too... I wasn’t even in the country during the snow so I haven’t seen it snow yet, other than tiny flakes one day. 1 snow vs 0 isn’t much of a difference lol

1 event is more then most of us have had. You guys will probably see 1 or 2 more chances.

1 event is more then most of us have had. You guys will probably see 1 or 2 more chances.

I think everyone needs to keep their areas in mind as far as expectations. If you average an inch of snow per year that means your not going to see snow very often. It's a tough thing for me personally my area averages a little more than 2". Areas to my west and areas to my east average double that. I know going into a season I'm going to miss out on some of what they get most likely. And I also know if I do get a 4" snow how rare that is. Doesn't really make it any easier when I'm watching it rain, but I don't blame other areas for getting what they average or more.

I think everyone needs to keep their areas in mind as far as expectations. If you average an inch of snow per year that means your not going to see snow very often. It's a tough thing for me personally my area averages a little more than 2". Areas to my west and areas to my east average double that. I know going into a season I'm going to miss out on some of what they get most likely. And I also know if I do get a 4" snow how rare that is. Doesn't really make it any easier when I'm watching it rain, but I don't blame other areas for getting what they average or more.

That’s true, my area average 1in and in the last 9 years 1in has been my average . I just want a blizzard.

That’s true, my area average 1in and in the last 9 years 1in has been my average . I just want a blizzard.

Moved down here from an area that averages about 28" of snow a year. It's been a rough 8 years watching them get snowed in while I get rained on. But the averages work out in the end. They tend to get about 10-15 opportunities for snow a year and I usually get a couple. The models showing snow here for a few runs is the hard part, but we all know how they tend to end up.

I get that part, but what bothers me about this winter is everyone hyped it and said it'd be so great, it was going to be different than the usual trash our winters are

but you know Vegas and the suburbs of Los Angeles got more snow than us lol

If all I could get was one event in a winter I'd gladly take a 1-2 footer in Mar 1927 and stfu for the next few seasons lol.

If all I could get was one event in a winter I'd gladly take a 1-2 footer in Mar 1927 and stfu for the next few seasons lol.

Man, I've thought about it and I just can't do it. If I got 1-2 feet of snow, I'd want another one and the one after that. And next year, I'd be like what have you done for me lately, winter? I don't have a "tank full" setting when it comes to snow or winter storms.

There is something amazing about watching the first flakes of snow fall from the sky, knowing that it's the beginning of a long, all-snow event with no concerns to be had about temperatures. Just watching those tiny little flakes fall slowly down out of a solid grayish-white sky, knowing that in just a short time, the world will be covered in snow. There's something about that feeling that can't be duplicated anywhere else. No way can I not hope for that every winter season.

Man, I've thought about it and I just can't do it. If I got 1-2 feet of snow, I'd want another one and the one after that. And next year, I'd be like what have you done for me lately, winter? I don't have a "tank full" setting when it comes to snow or winter storms.

There is something amazing about watching the first flakes of snow fall from the sky, knowing that it's the beginning of a long, all-snow event with no concerns to be had about temperatures. Just watching those tiny little flakes fall slowly down out of a solid grayish-white sky, knowing that in just a short time, the world will be covered in snow. There's something about that feeling that can't be duplicated anywhere else. No way can I not hope for that every winter season.
LOL wonder what that's like.

You'd be unsurprised to know that the next winter after the big March 1927 storm (1927-28) was filled with nothing but disappointment, but @packfan98 kicked all our butts in the snow department, actually everyone east of the mtns to be exact.
Winter of 1927-28 NC Snowmap.png

At least we know that March 1927 didn't act alone.

January 9-11 1927 NC Snowmap.png

January 15-16 1927 NC Snowmap.png

Oh, that's Mount Mitchell lol, they average about 48" of snow per season from 1895-1944 and done a lot better than 99" actually.

Mt Mitchell picked up about 153" of snow in the NINO winter of 1930-31 based on the COOP reports from there
wow. I knew that was Mt Mitchell but I didn't know it got that much snow

wow. I knew that was Mt Mitchell but I didn't know it got that much snow

It's amazing what happens when the ground is above the 850 hPa level like it is on Mt Mitchell, all that snow falling above our heads actually reaches the ground before melting. It also snows semi-regularly in mid-late May on Mitchell too

Back