• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

2010 was the last wall to wall winter I can remember that produced. We are coming up on a decade, and bound to hit another good one soon.

Nah, I consider 13/14 to be that last true widespread winter, but I do insist that I would have hated 13/14 if I was at home because of what my parents told me about what happened for them surrounding 2/12/14 (did not get their power back for days, now then again maybe I wouldn't have as I love my grandparents and they bailed up to that house once they realized that they had power). I think 1/28/14 is being forgotten some here, my parents told me that they measured 2" of snow on the morning after. (maybe that did not really produce in Columbia because I remember thinking that eastern areas got slotted some?)

Edit: Check that, it was all snow after a period of freezing rain that was brief compared to what happened 15 days later.

Last edited:
1/28/14 is my second favorite snow storm of my lifetime. The impacts it had on Atlanta were unreal. Also the development of the storm in our tracking. It was forecasted to be a south GA/AL/SC hit all the way until 72 hours and then it trended NW hard. What a storm!

1/28/14 wasn't my favorite type of snow, but everything that happened surrounding it was positively insane, so that was my favorite winter storm. I remember hoping for a dusting and ended up getting at least 2 inches of snow in Rome.

About an hour after it started, I was trying to figure out why the snow wasn't accumulating much in the grass yet, then after lunch when I went out walking initially, I slipped and fell where there was a short incline in the road and struggled to get up. I had to get on my hands and knees and crawl to the grass. Then when the snow had covered the road, I went out again more comfortably and stayed outside for at least 30-45 minutes.

Then the next morning, for a few minutes I watched the dry snow blow a little, then watched a truck struggle on the icy road. I pretty much couldn't even walk on it, if I had picked up my feet, I would have been on my butt. I shuffled down to my car for a bit, then slowly went back up to the dorms.

If this big vortex keeps sliding towards the Rockies for March 3-4, we're going to find ourselves in a similar situation to this past week w/ copious amounts of cold rain over the mid-upper south. Spring pls hurry...
GFS took a step that way for sure:

gfs_apcpn_seus_28.png

1/28/14 is my second favorite snow storm of my lifetime. The impacts it had on Atlanta were unreal. Also the development of the storm in our tracking. It was forecasted to be a south GA/AL/SC hit all the way until 72 hours and then it trended NW hard. What a storm!

It was a good storm but oh what could have been for Fayetteville (where I lived at the time). Forecasted to get 4-8"+ and we ended up w/ 3-4" of half sleet & snow mix. Stoopid IP ruins everything

It's pretty obvious these storm threats are going down the toilet, everyone on the main thread is reaching the proverbial stage of denial right before panic & extreme heartbreak sets in!
Statements like these are telltale signs of denial:

Oh it's just one run!
Oh look, we still have "x" number of members with snow!
Lots of time to change!
*Literally everything else is going the wrong way* "Oh, but hey look at "x", is "trending" in the right direction, we still have a chance!
But, but, but the fv3 did well w/ the December storm!
Oh whale, nothing is on that run, but I'm interested to see what the next run shows (i.e. we're screwed)

It's pretty obvious these storm threats are going down the toilet, everyone on the main thread is reaching the proverbial stage of denial right before panic & extreme heartbreak sets in!

Oh it's just one run!
Lots of time to change!
*Literally everything else is going the wrong way* "Oh, but hey look at "x", is "trending" in the right direction, we still have a chance!
Oh whale, nothing is on that run, but I'm interested to see what the next run shows (i.e. we're screwed)
There is a fine line, and for most people, it's impossible to stay balanced on it. You got your negative people (probably me) who have been disappointed and or let down with the weather. Whether that be a Winter weather or non weather related.
And you got the people who just are forever optimistic about everything, ESPECIALLY if it's something that favors them. Which in the weather world, we like to call that "wishcasting".

Both types of people have their issues for sure. As the negative people can just kill the vibe of everyone and the overly positive people can just sound like a broken record. We should try and get better at learning instead of just assuming the worst or the best every time.

Oh it's just one run!
Lots of time to change!

Quick death was nice atleast. Though I am sure the usual suspects will go down the ship on this one.

Back