• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

Awakened by thunder and lightning around 3:00 a.m. this morning,. Got in to the fun everyone else has had 35゚ thunderstorms. Can't get good thunderstorms like that at night in the summer time anymore haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I feel like I am the only person on the board that hasn't had a thunderstorm this winter.

I'm calling it. NC gets another big winter storm the first 7 days of March to close out winter, just like we got a big one the first week of December to start winter. Go ahead and book the bookend storms.

I have the biggest puddles of the winter!! Atleast I can bullseye with T storms in mid February! They will be missing my house by half mile in August!View attachment 16126
That was honestly more fun than the one hour of sleet/snow I got in December. I’ve got the fever now. Bring on more T-storms! I hope winter is over

Edit: not that it ever started to begin with

For the 3rd time in 10 days, snow is falling in Las Vegas, and about 0.5" of snow has accumulated on the Vegas strip as of a few hours ago, the last accumulating snow in Vegas was in Dec 2008. To put things into perspective, the snowfall climatology in Las Vegas is virtually the same as in Macon, GA @deltadog03. Yea, this is a big deal...
Damn

I feel like I am the only person on the board that hasn't had a thunderstorm this winter.
Sorry man.... yeah kind of weird, I checked radar and the lightning was concentrated in that one cell up this way

Awakened by thunder and lightning around 3:00 a.m. this morning,. Got in to the fun everyone else has had 35゚ thunderstorms. Can't get good thunderstorms like that at night in the summer time anymore haha

I was also awakened by thunder, it was neat to hear it progressively move from one side to the other of my place.

I'm calling it. NC gets another big winter storm the first 7 days of March to close out winter, just like we got a big one the first week of December to start winter. Go ahead and book the bookend storms.
Well there goes the "We only ever get one big storm in NC per year" idea you had a week ago. I'm going to say this instead. We all scream when a MA snowstorm hits them and the rest of us throw the towel in.

Few modern winters pull of the bookend storm evolution better than 1971-72

December 3-4 1971 NC Snowmap.png

March 25-26 1972 NC Snowmap.png

For the 3rd time in 10 days, snow is falling in Las Vegas, and about 0.5" of snow has accumulated on the Vegas strip as of a few hours ago, the last accumulating snow in Vegas was in Dec 2008. To put things into perspective, the snowfall climatology in Las Vegas is virtually the same as in Macon, GA @deltadog03. Yea, this is a big deal...

It also snowed New Years in Vegas of 2010/11. I was there on my honeymoon on the top floor of Mandalay Bay watching it. I'm pretty sure there was not enough for an accumulation but it was a sight to see.

Well there goes the "We only ever get one big storm in NC per year" idea you had a week ago. I'm going to say this instead. We all scream when a MA snowstorm hits them and the rest of us throw the towel in.

He’s right, although only for RDU specifically. So other areas in NC easily have two 4”+ events per winter.

Thread:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That actually surprises me considering Vegas is at the same latitude as Nashville and is about 2,000' in elevation.

He’s right, although only for RDU specifically. So other areas in NC easily have two 4”+ events per winter.

Thread:

1935-36 took the notion of central NC only getting one maybe big dogs per year and smashed the living piss out of it.

2 4" snows in a winter? That's cute, in 1935-36 there were SIX, yes SIX snows of 4 or more inches in Enfield in southern Halifax county whose snowfall climo is pretty close to RDU.

December 22-23 1935 NC Snowmap.png

December 28-29 1935 NC Snowmap.png

January 26-27 1936 NC Snowmap.png
January 29-31 1936 NC Snowmap.png

February 6-7 1936 NC Snowmap.png

February 21-22 1936 NC Snowmap.png

Thread:

I guess we're due, but the odds are still against it since the one in December was so big. I think we have a better shot than usual, though, the first week of March.

1935-36 took the notion of central NC only getting one maybe big dogs per year and smashed the living piss out of it.

2 4" snows in a winter? That's cute, in 1935-36 there were SIX, yes SIX snows of 4 or more inches in Enfield in southern Halifax county whose snowfall climo is pretty close to RDU.

View attachment 16131

View attachment 16132

View attachment 16133
View attachment 16134

View attachment 16135

View attachment 16136

The statewide mean in 1935-36 is somewhere in the ballpark of 25", if you think about the best winter you've ever seen in your lifetime down here in NC, 1935-36 is just another order of magnitude above it many don't think is/was possible.

View attachment 16131

View attachment 16132

View attachment 16133
View attachment 16134

View attachment 16135

View attachment 16136
No wonder, none of my family had moved here yet..... lol

No wonder, none of my family had moved here yet..... lol

Lol that explains a lot! It's really amazing tbh how 1935-36 was able to produce so many moderate-large sized events, when we see a big winter around here it's usually due to 1 maybe 2 big events, very rarely 3. To see it spread out over every single month of the winter in 5-6 storms really sets 1935-36 apart from all the rest, plus it gave us a white Christmas & New Years.

On top of this inversion, these storms develop off MUcape or MU parcels, area at 850 hPa and above is favorable for convection, reason for loud thunder is becuase sound gets trapped under the inversion and sound is enhanced under the inversion View attachment 16106
Man I suck at soundings ☹️ I need some good YouTube videos. I’m a visual learner. I tried to learn years ago but was impatient bc 99/100 I’m reading rain soundings around here so what’s the point ?
Anybody want to throw up a little thread explaining soundings? Post some examples, give details of what each item means... @Myfrotho704_ I like your explanations, the images you use. I can read soundings to some degree but would love to know more.. @Webberweather53 @SD @Rain Cold or anyone else? All I ask is we don't clutter it up with useless info, learn from it... what y'all think?

Back