• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

I was just talking about this with someone on twitter but it was a strange setup, had a outflow boundary and acted like a MCS, setup I’ll never forget
I read about it last night. Said cold air had just settled in the day before? and precip exploded on the “cool” side just on the east side of the mountains. Lee side trough? I think that was a low probability event but it was a good one. Roads were wet but trees and grassy areas were caked!

I read about it last night. Said cold air had just settled in the day before? and precip exploded on the “cool” side just on the east side of the mountains. Lee side trough? I think that was a low probability event but it was a good one. Roads were wet but trees and grassy areas were caked!

Yep, develop like how our summertime storms do in the summer off the mountains and drifted SE, that event also had 100-500 jkg of cape and very steep low level lapses, also had a PV lobe near the GLs, those rates were insane at times, I’d trade a 5 inch regular winter storm for a 3inch convective snow setup like the one from 2013 any day

Violating every rule I set for myself ... but here goes ... IMBY ... 78º and a nice NW breeze ... feels a lot cooler than that and is wonderful ... Now back to y'all's BY ... ;)

Violating every rule I set for myself ... but here goes ... IMBY ... 78º and a nice NW breeze ... feels a lot cooler than that and is wonderful ... Now back to y'all's BY ... ;)

Very nice, at least you don’t have to worry about chasing fantasy snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s about right for everyone outside NC this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, but the point was, it's right every year from down here ... no gripes, just a friendly observation ... my favorites are the Wake phantom chases every run, BTW ...

I've really learned that with a Nino you're needle threading, but isn't that the case with any deal in the SE?

Can't have a super strong Nino, strong Nino's usually don't work, weak to moderate ones can, if you get ones that are very weak you can be subjected to other factors that might end up hurting, and the very latter has been what's happened this year.

My preference would probably be warm neutral though? I think 13/14 was that.

I've really learned that with a Nino you're needle threading, but isn't that the case with any deal in the SE?

Can't have a super strong Nino, strong Nino's usually don't work, weak to moderate ones can, if you get ones that are very weak you can be subjected to other factors that might end up hurting, and the very latter has been what's happened this year.

My preference would probably be warm neutral though? I think 13/14 was that.

1. 13-14 was cold neutral per this:

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

2. Officially per ONI, we still don’t know if 18-19 will have 5 trimonthlies in a row to reach El Niño status in retrospect. I’m pretty sure it will get to 4 in a row with DJF but it will need JFM to get to 5 in a row. With Jan having faded so much, JFM may end up lower than +0.5. It depends on the next 6 weeks or so. I realize people will say “what difference does it make?”, but it is what it is officially. So, if this doesn’t make it as El Niño, then I’d have to retract my statements about this winter quite possibly making it to the warmest of 48 on record at ATL and this by a large margin being the warmest El Niño Feb on record. Part of me would like to see that happen as it would be pretty funny and also it may sort of explain why the typical temp pattern of colder SE US than northern tier didn’t happen. Neutral positive winters, notwithstanding 1935-6, have usually not been cold in the SE.

1. 13-14 was cold neutral per this:

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

2. Officially per ONI, we still don’t know if 18-19 will have 5 trimonthlies in a row to reach El Niño status in retrospect. I’m pretty sure it will get to 4 in a row with DJF but it will need JFM to get to 5 in a row. With Jan having faded so much, JFM may end up lower than +0.5. It depends on the next 6 weeks or so. I realize people will say “what difference does it make?”, but it is what it is officially. So, if this doesn’t make it as El Niño, then I’d have to retract my statements about this winter quite possibly making it to the warmest of 48 on record at ATL and this by a large margin being the warmest El Niño Feb on record. Part of me would like to see that happen as it would be pretty funny and also it may sort of explain why the typical temp pattern of colder SE US than northern tier didn’t happen. Neutral positive winters, notwithstanding 1935-6, have usually not been cold in the SE.

Okay thank you I honestly didn't remember outside of it being "neutral", although I'm sure I've seen it before more than a few times. I just remember the craziness.

So, I see posts are deleted; no notice; no PM? And they had "Likes". Bad ...

Are the Hardee Boys of WWE now in charge here?

Your Will Robinson post was funny as all get out even though it was banter. But I think you should have been notified since it was deleted rather than moved. My posts that have been moved to banter were without being notified, which is fine. But I think being deleted is different.

I just don't want Phil to be treated differently because someone may have a personal vendetta. He's too important a member to stop posting and would be missed greatly. I know Brick has complained a lot about posts being moved, but at least they weren't deleted (I'm not siding with him).

I know these two may get moved to banter lol. That's ok but please don't delete.

After this "winter" killing every last one of our unicorns, I'm done with this getting hopes up. From now on, every winter is a no snow winter until it proves otherwise. After so much hope for this winter only to get blanked, I'm going into every year expecting NOTHING but the wicked witch herself

Back