• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

And GFS has a parade of clippers to end the run. One of those will surely save us! Hooray8F8F1770-E8ED-4FA9-8C32-48886B020D66.gif

We simply don't have winters anymore that are below average region wide and I feel like that it's time for everyone to accept such a fact. Outside of a few anomalies like 2009-2010/2013-2014, winters in the SE will most continue to be above average despite throwing out pre-season analogs like 1940, late Jan. 1936, 1977, 1988, etc. I don't think that this year will end up being an outrageous torch like some have in recent memory, but the prognosticators severely missed the mark whenever we were promised back in November that this winter would be one of the most "epic" ones of the current decade. However, not all is lost and it certainly can snow in winters that are less than ideal. I got snow on January 3, 2002 at my location (I'm probably the worst for snow on here outside of Savannah/Gainesville) and the rest of that winter was an absolute blowtorch. I think that it's crucial to keep the faith that something big will happen, but it's getting to be borderline useless to look at any type of model past five days.

Guys no worries. The operational runs can’t figure out the pattern. I promise it WILL snow again. Just not this year

climate change is real guys. Future generations will be told how it used to snow...

It will be interesting when all the averages are done after next year and the 1980s are dropped. I could see places like Columbia having an average high of 60 in January and 95 in July.

I tend to think that weather is cyclical and that we currently are in a pattern that isn't as supportive for cold weather as it has been in times past. However, this decade has produced some great winter storms and the storm frequency has seemingly increased than what it was during the 90's. Also, this isn't the first time that we've gone through such a period that featured warm winters. I challenge anyone to go look back at some of the winters during the 30's/50's and you and will realize that this year is benign in terms of heat intensity/lack of snow compared to what they had to endure back then.

And a few people earlier today were giving Brick hell for saying we keep pushing things back lol those comments didn’t age well

I could be, and probably am completely off base here, but computer models are written to anticipate based on current conditions as well as historical data. Are models having issues because they keep trying to incorporate past data into current scenarios? This the reason we're getting so much variation, but we always correct to the warmer solution the closer we get?

I got a lot of snow last year so I can’t reallt complain. I’m just mad about this so called “pattern” people were hyping up at 10+ days. Give me a break...

I did not and I've been bitter and salty ever since :p

but here we are today halfway through met winter and this has to be the most miserable winter so far, so much hype, so much promise of great, and a bunch of nothing so far to show for it

I wonder if those who complain about moderation here and us "turning into the other place" can put two and two together and figure out that it may just be their fault. Maybe moderation follows them as individuals? ;)

From what I see, most of our members support how we run this place.

I did not and I've been bitter and salty ever since :p

but here we are today halfway through met winter and this has to be the most miserable winter so far, so much hype, so much promise of great, and a bunch of nothing so far to show for it
You’re the reason we don’t get snow anymore!! Whatever you did to screw up Texas, messed up the whole South!! We used to get all our snows when the low came through TX , with pinks and whites all over Dallas, then we got ours 2 days later! :(

Back