• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many times the Columbia, SC/Midlands of SC will wiff this year? It's hard to be positive even with such a great set up going into Winter when your area hasn't seen a Winter storm in 1735 days.. My area (Lexington county/Richland county) hasn't been under a Winter storm warning in 4 3/4 years. We have been missed in all directions and last year was the biggest slap in the face for a Winter I have ever been a part of. I see the Mid South trend is already starting as far as that area already seeing Winter weather. I just hope my area can get Winter storm criteria conditions this year. Here is to hoping this Winter delivers down here. I understand our area isn't favored, but that didn't stop portions of the Gulf coast seeing snow last year. Fingers crossed.

Sorry for your loss Darknight. Lost my mom in 2002, 3 months later , my dad. They were married for 44 years and just couldn’t live without one another! If your parents are still alive, enjoy them and tell them you love them!

There’s pretty much no way this winter meets what we saw in 10/11, 13/14, or last year winter storm wise in general in the southeast (not area specific but in general), but the reason it’s being hyped is because if it plays out as looked, it throws almost everyone in play for a potential big time Miller A type storm happening. We can get winter storms without it and will again but combining the POSSIBILITY of a -NAO occurring with the STJ being active, and at least in South Carolina and Georgia, it helps east of I-85.
Which with the factors in play, I have to think it’s a matter of time before the silliness really gets going on long range models. I give it two more weeks then bam, it’s going to start.

There’s pretty much no way this winter meets what we saw in 10/11, 13/14, or last year winter storm wise in general in the southeast (not area specific but in general), but the reason it’s being hyped is because if it plays out as looked, it throws almost everyone in play for a potential big time Miller A type storm happening. We can get winter storms without it and will again but combining the POSSIBILITY of a -NAO occurring with the STJ being active, and at least in South Carolina and Georgia, it helps east of I-85.
Which with the factors in play, I have to think it’s a matter of time before the silliness really gets going on long range models. I give it two more weeks then bam, it’s going to start.
Last year came close to beating 10/11, and had the largest storm since, and 2013 and 14 wasn't too special here. In fact, I just looked back and for most of N GA the forecast busted being way too generous versus the actual totals. If the hype is lived up to this year, I can see it beating 10/11. Whichever way, get a Miller A, Miller B even, or an overrunning event and N GA and NW SC are set for a good winter at least. For a boardwide event it'll probably be late December to mid January as our time frame, or even some time in Feb if it's colder than Jan.

Edit: I forgot the Atlanta Snowjam occurred that year, so it was a snowy winter and the third best in my book, 10/11 being first, 17/18 being second.

Last year came close to beating 10/11, and had the largest storm since, and 2013 and 14 wasn't too special here. In fact, I just looked back and for most of N GA the forecast busted being way too generous versus the actual totals. If the hype is lived up to this year, I can see it beating 10/11. Whichever way, get a Miller A, Miller B even, or an overrunning event and N GA and NW SC are set for a good winter at least. For a boardwide event it'll probably be late December to mid January as our time frame, or even some time in Feb if it's colder than Jan.

Edit: I forgot the Atlanta Snowjam occurred that year, so it was a snowy winter and the third best in my book, 10/11 being first, 17/18 being second.

Maybe it shouldn't be given that I love the way wet snow makes things pretty but 13/14 is going to likely stay my favorite winter for quite a while for how insane 1/28/14 was overall as an experience (snow at 19 degrees and being shocked at what happened down in Atlanta). It would not be my favorite winter if I was living in Augusta then though. The ice storm was an awful experience for my parents, my house is just outside of a rural area and not on the main Georgia Power, thus once they lost power, it was gone for at least a week. They thankfully had a place to relocate to that was on Georgia Power and got power back not long after the storm, but now if it were to happen again, we no longer do if we were to have a similar situation. I kind of dread what would happen if we have similar circumstances.

Watching the snow on TWC just makes it even worse. If we don’t see Snow in December this place is going to burn down. My wife keeps talking about Thanksgivings and all I can think about it checking models and this site. I think I have a problem.

Watching the snow on TWC just makes it even worse. If we don’t see Snow in December this place is going to burn down. My wife keeps talking about Thanksgivings and all I can think about it checking models and this site. I think I have a problem.
You are right about that. I'm usually checking anyway this time of year but now there is a chance of some sleepless nights as we get closer to December lol.

I agree, I am so ready for a real storm. There's gonna be riots if we're snowless through Christmas :p

Watching the Times Square cam in NYC the snow is so heavy it looks like nighttime.

All we are missing is Grit . I like that fallslake person and a few more . But between you , Jon , Eric , cad and others we have some great posters that found their way over here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
------ - add Larry (@GaWx); he's all over the region for us yet has no fish in most of the surrounding ponds ... ;)

Last edited:
------ - add Larry; he's all over the region and has no fish in most of the ponds ... ;)

Larry is a regular . He wouldn’t want any praise although he deserves it . What Larry adds to this board is priceless and speaks for itself . I remember when I was young reading his posts on American thinking damn this guy doesn’t work, he just collects weather statistics lol.

I could have added you to the list as well but you’re contributions speak for themselves as well. I was just pointing out the only other poster I wish popped in every now and then was grit

Larry is a regular . He wouldn’t want any praise although he deserves it . What Larry adds to this board is priceless and speaks for itself . I remember when I was young reading his posts on American thinking damn this guy doesn’t work, he just collects weather statistics lol.

I could have added you to the list as well but you’re contributions speak for themselves as well. I was just pointing out the only other poster I wish popped in every now and then was grit

Wasn't being snarky, but Savannah ... who cares (and I mean that in a nice way since it's not a weather destination), and just don't want Larry forgotten ... he's such an asset here region wide ...
Grit would be a great one to get over here ... I'll message him.
As for me, you can edit and delete, as I try but at best bring far less than half a thimble full to a keg party ...

And 1300m. I had issues with him years ago only because I was immature. Then I grew up and realized I didn’t know near as much as I thought I did .

But by God I can post a ten day clown map with the best of them !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back