• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually. Screenshots can’t be posted?
I think you can, but it's a struggle for me as well. When I take pix with my iPhone and try to upload them to a forum, it usually tells me that the image is too big and won't upload.

I think you can, but it's a struggle for me as well. When I take pix with my iPhone and try to upload them to a forum, it usually tells me that the image is too big and won't upload.
That's weird the iPhone screenshots must be at a higher resolution than samsung

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's weird the iPhone screenshots must be at a higher resolution than samsung

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Doesn't matter where it comes from ... 2 MB or less and it'll load; 2.1+ and no way ... I asked Shawn about this a long time ago ... it is what it is ... unless someone has a big donation to make or a new server sitting around to contribute ... LOL

I've never had an issue uploading pics with Tapatalk...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'll try, but my track record with WRAL forecasters is pretty bad :). Professionally speaking, I feel sorry for anyone joining that team right now, as I hear from some pretty reliable sources that the chief is not in a good place. Of course, to anyone who knows how to forecast that has been obvious by his mailing-it-in forecasts over the past 5 to 10 years. When you think SREF is the answer to the world's forecasting problems, it's time to start doing something else. At least one of the problems -- the deceitful egomaniac who called himself the executive weather producer -- is no longer there, so there's that.
Those same thoughts have been going through my mind, based on stuff I've seen from him on weather boards over the past few years. Anything can happen.....I'm hoping for the best for Kat. She truly is a sweetheart, but will probably not stay anywhere if she is abused.

View attachment 5719
Meet Kat Campbell WRAL viewers. We miss her here in Huntsville. She's a sweetheart with a sweet dog named Jazzy.
Who knows, could be perfect timing. The old guard there is aging and so perhaps things will work out in her favor!

I went to school with Kat Campbell, she graduated 2 years ago, a year ahead of me in the same NC State undergraduate program, went into broadcast because that's been her passion ever since she was little and Kat is amazing at it. I would vouch for Kat and say she was definitely in the top half of her class and isn't just a pretty face, she knows what she's doing and I'm happy Kat landed w/ WRAL and I'll get to see her on TV. Without going into any details, let's just say the company in Huntsville wasn't "very nice" to Kat and didn't make it easy for her to leave and go to Raleigh. She'll be much happier here in Raleigh and being a longtime resident of central NC and going to school here, Kat will be at quite an advantage and has acquired a decent amount of background knowledge on weather in the area. Yeah, replacing Greg Fishel will certainly be a problem down the line and he's struggled of late with winter storms (then again are they ever easy in NC?), but at least they still have Mike Moss. His role there is so underrated and underappreciated, he's really the heart and soul of that team as Greg Fishel has told us on many occasions. You'd be very surprised how much Mike Moss does behind the scenes to keep everything up & running, but if you had to go into broadcast in NC, WRAL is typically one of the better places.

I'm not surprised at all because I already know this. Greg Fishel is one of the most overrated broadcast meteorologists on the air today. He knows plenty of fundamental meteorology, but Nate Johnson/WRAL/Capital Broadcasting slowly converted him from a true forecaster into a ratings-driven, pontificating coward since the mid 2000s. Prior to 2006, Greg Fishel was someone I greatly respected and I still say was a good forecaster, but not anymore.

In the two part event in late February 2015 (part 1 and part 2), he showed all of his cards. There is a certain meteorologist intern at NWS Raleigh who has less forecasting ability than 90% of this boards members (this particular forecaster did not know what a backdoor cold front was during my time at NWS-RAH), and happened to be on duty during these two events and produced the following forecast on Monday afternoon with the event to unfold Tuesday morning and Wednesday evening. Fishel/WRAL bit all the way -- proving once and for all that they no longer have any independent forecasting skill -- and was even pompous and arrogant enough to criticize those who thought either event would result in accumulation. WRAL is nothing more than a NWS/ensemble regurgitator with zero independent thinking/forecasting ability.

NWS Raleigh forecast for part 1 and part 2 on Monday, 2/23/15 (this was not changed with their afternoon discussion package either)

View attachment 5729

WRAL's forecast at 3:00pm on 2/23/15 (Fishel went on air at 5:00pm and defended this) Look similar?!

View attachment 5730

To the second bolded item, I could not disagree more. You have a weather team who is ashamed of their best talent (Mike Moss), has a morning meteorologist with almost no forecasting ability, and their chief is in personal and professional disarray. Anywhere has to be better than that, even if they lack the credentials and knowledge that is on paper at WRAL. There is more that I know that I am not willing to put online, but their performance only is enough to prove my point.

Well, that's actually what most broadcast meteorologists are "supposed to do" as many see it (I of course side w/ you here in that they should be capable of producing independent forecasts, WRAL from what I notice is usually more deviant vs ABC11 and NBC17 if that means anything). Unfortunately, you're only preaching to the choir, I've been well aware of this for several years (really since 2014). Broadcast mets main priority has become to communicate NWS forecasts to the public and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. I'm hoping my presence both on social media and in the forums, massive winter storm archive for NC and close ties with NC State, UNCC, SERCC, NWS RAH, and other broadcast mets in the area on this project and the tangible research items that come from it will both serve to increase awareness of the range of variability w/ winter storms around here and improve winter storm forecasts in the long run for our area, but you can only do so much and I'm not holing my breath.

Obviously with Greg Fishel, yes absolutely he's not anything like he used to be, some of that is attributable to age as well (you can look to his fellow colleague in his graduating class from PSU, Joe Bastardi to notice the decline in his ability too at least vs when he was at accuweather). Broadcast meteorologists main priority has become to communicate the forecast instead of produce something of independent and arguably higher value, I think that's in an effort to consolidate the overall message of a forecast with everyone singing the same tune as NWS so to not confuse the public. Some of my colleagues esp in broadcast may disagree with this statement, but this is likely in vain because the public already struggles w/ understand a normal day-to-day forecast, much less with a winter storm that's fraught with so much unpredictability, misconceptions, and misinformation.

As for your final statement, we'll agree to disagree, because coming from someone like myself who has actually been inside their studio meeting with the team and getting to know Greg Fishel & Nate Johnson not only from that experience but from balloon launches at NCSU, AMS meetings, talks they've given to classes here, personal exchanges, etc. and seeing them work at their posts in real-time, and knowing several people in my own program who have worked for WRAL or are currently working for them like Kat Campbell, I know they are proud of what Mike Moss does for them and it would be a shame if he left. Even though I may disagree with how they handle a winter storm forecast from time to time, I still respect them

I'm not sure what we're agreeing to disagree on. I agree Mike Moss is the only forecasting asset they have at the station, so I couldn't agree more on that. I have had many interactions with Mike Moss - heck, he even wrote this blog post on my winter storm database a long time ago -- and I have nothing but respect for him. I have all of the experiences you do and then some, but obviously yours and mine have been different and it doesn't appear you've ever been personally attacked and even called out by name by Fishel/Johnson -- out of spite/jealousy for out-forecasting them! -- like I have.

We agreed to disagree on how they feel about Mike Moss, as for the bolded statement, I wouldn't go there if I was you.

I went to school with Kat Campbell, she graduated 2 years ago, a year ahead of me in the same NC State undergraduate program, went into broadcast because that's been her passion ever since she was little and Kat is amazing at it. I would vouch for Kat and say she was definitely in the top half of her class and isn't just a pretty face, she knows what she's doing and I'm happy Kat landed w/ WRAL and I'll get to see her on TV. Without going into any details, let's just say the company in Huntsville wasn't "very nice" to Kat and didn't make it easy for her to leave and go to Raleigh. She'll be much happier here in Raleigh and being a longtime resident of central NC and going to school here, Kat will be at quite an advantage and has acquired a decent amount of background knowledge on weather in the area. Yeah, replacing Greg Fishel will certainly be a problem down the line and he's struggled of late with winter storms (then again are they ever easy in NC?), but at least they still have Mike Moss. His role there is so underrated and underappreciated, he's really the heart and soul of that team as Greg Fishel has told us on many occasions. You'd be very surprised how much Mike Moss does behind the scenes to keep everything up & running, but if you had to go into broadcast in NC, WRAL is typically one of the better places.
I'm so happy to hear that Kat has landed in the place she wants to be. If she was mistreated at WAFF, she certainly didn't make that apparent. I wish nothing but good things for her.

Fine. I took this picture of my car with my bag phone just this morning. It seems to have posted fine. :)
View attachment 5736
It's easy to see why, obviously with a car that size the photo isn't going to surpass the size parameters.... duh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back