• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think UK is going to really have their hands full when they play Buffalo on Saturday.
Should be interesting. They are a very young team but have potential if they play like they did in the SEC tournament.

Out of these states, which do you think I should move to : MI, TX, ND, MO, FL, PA, UT. Those are 7 states I'm looking into possibly moving to.

MI - One of the 6 states in the country I have never been to. From what I have heard, the western side has real nice beaches on Lake Michigan.
TX - been to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso and Amarillo. Have a friend from Atlanta who lives in Austin now and loves it. Lots of different climates in the state. I liked San Antonio the most and Houston the least.
ND - Why? It is a flat and dirt intensive place with nothing to do. Extreme cold in winter would likely get old fast. Large Tornadoes in the summer. Also another one of the 6 states I have never been to (along with MI, AR, HI, OR and AK).
MO - I liked the area around KC a lot. Considered moving to the Kansas side of KC a long time ago.
FL - Lived in Orlando for 18 long years. Generally - find Ocala on a map, draw a line and stay to the north of that line. People are a lot friendlier north of that line, the farther south of that line the ruder they are. Also going through a hurricane sucks. Other negatives: billion percent humidity, 9 month long summers, bugs that are the size of birds, and alligators and snakes seem to be everywhere.
PA - I thought central parts of the state were pretty. Lots of snow in winter.
UT - If you live near SLC you will get plenty of snow. The desert areas get very hot in the summer. Nice national parks. Lots of rocks and dirt too.

MI - One of the 6 states in the country I have never been to. From what I have heard, the western side has real nice beaches on Lake Michigan.
TX - been to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso and Amarillo. Have a friend from Atlanta who lives in Austin now and loves it. Lots of different climates in the state. I liked San Antonio the most and Houston the least.
ND - Why? It is a flat and dirt intensive place with nothing to do. Extreme cold in winter would likely get old fast. Large Tornadoes in the summer. Also another one of the 6 states I have never been to (along with MI, AR, HI, OR and AK).
MO - I liked the area around KC a lot. Considered moving to the Kansas side of KC a long time ago.
FL - Lived in Orlando for 18 long years. Generally - find Ocala on a map, draw a line and stay to the north of that line. People are a lot friendlier north of that line, the farther south of that line the ruder they are. Also going through a hurricane sucks. Other negatives: billion percent humidity, 9 month long summers, bugs that are the size of birds, and alligators and snakes seem to be everywhere.
PA - I thought central parts of the state were pretty. Lots of snow in winter.
UT - If you live near SLC you will get plenty of snow. The desert areas get very hot in the summer. Nice national parks. Lots of rocks and dirt too.
Thanks for the input. As far as scenery goes, I definitely prefer rolling hills or mountains over flat land so I can probably rule out ND.

Out of these states, which do you think I should move to : MI, TX, ND, MO, FL, PA, UT. Those are 7 states I'm looking into possibly moving to.
PA or MI would be my pick. But what about Ohio? Ohio looks really cheap to live and gets a good amount of snow but it doesn't get insane amounts that stay on the ground all winter. Or how bout Tennessee? We don't have state taxes and the northern part sees snow basically every winter.

Winter Weather Advisory tonight for up to 0.10" of ice. Then some fun and games possible next week with rain on Tues changing to snow then changing back to rain on Wed then changing back to snow on Wed night.

I know summer is still far away, but I was curious to see how many days of 90s certain cities averaged per year. I looked at 12 cities from the last 5 years (2013-2017). Here are the results:
1) Dallas ( DFW): 558 days (avg per year: 111.6)
2) Gainesville, FL: 473 days ( avg per year: 94.6)
3) Nashville: 297 days ( avg per year: 59.4)
4) Chattanooga: 280 days ( avg per year: 56)
5) Charlotte: 255 days ( avg per year: 51)
6) Raleigh: 249 days ( avg per year: 49.8)
7) Atlanta: 226 days ( avg per year: 45.2)
8) DC (Reag Ntl): 212 days ( avg per year: 42.4)
9) NYC (Cent Pk): 80 days ( avg per year: 16)
10) Boston: 74 days ( avg per year: 14.8)
11) Chicago (Ohare): 58 days ( avg per year: 11.6)
12) Minn/St Paul: 52 days ( avg per year: 10.4)

I was a little surprised that Raleigh, Charlotte, Chattanooga all average more 90 degree days than Atlanta.

I know summer is still far away, but I was curious to see how many days of 90s certain cities averaged per year. I looked at 12 cities from the last 5 years (2013-2017). Here are the results:
1) Dallas ( DFW): 558 days (avg per year: 111.6)
2) Gainesville, FL: 473 days ( avg per year: 94.6)
3) Nashville: 297 days ( avg per year: 59.4)
4) Chattanooga: 280 days ( avg per year: 56)
5) Charlotte: 255 days ( avg per year: 51)
6) Raleigh: 249 days ( avg per year: 49.8)
7) Atlanta: 226 days ( avg per year: 45.2)
8) DC (Reag Ntl): 212 days ( avg per year: 42.4)
9) NYC (Cent Pk): 80 days ( avg per year: 16)
10) Boston: 74 days ( avg per year: 14.8)
11) Chicago (Ohare): 58 days ( avg per year: 11.6)
12) Minn/St Paul: 52 days ( avg per year: 10.4)

I was a little surprised that Raleigh, Charlotte, Chattanooga all average more 90 degree days than Atlanta.
Now that is some amazing info!
Thanks!

~~~~~~

Edit - Just wondering about days with a temp at or below freezing ... that would make an interesting comparison, as well!

Raleigh and Charlotte most likely have less elevation without checking and are closer to the coast, then Chattanooga is in valley. The Tennessee Valley has been discussed as a hindrance with snow before, very very possible it causes Chattanooga to get hotter in the summer.

This week was the 25th anniversary of the Superstorm of '93. After searching for YEARS on Youtube to find footage of storm coverage from my neck of the woods, I finally ran across a few great videos, even a short documentary from our FOX (CBS back then) affiliate WAGA-TV.

Glenn Burns and Karen Minton's memories of the Superstorm. Glenn's is pretty funny, he really thought he might have crapped the bed and would lose his job because it wouldn't stop raining before the changeover to snow. lmao

This week was the 25th anniversary of the Superstorm of '93. After searching for YEARS on Youtube to find footage of storm coverage from my neck of the woods, I finally ran across a few great videos, even a short documentary from our FOX (CBS back then) affiliate WAGA-TV.

Glenn Burns and Karen Minton's memories of the Superstorm. Glenn's is pretty funny, he really thought he might have crapped the bed and would lose his job because it wouldn't stop raining before the changeover to snow. lmao

great clips... Glenn's is too funny lol

the blizzard of 93 has always fascinated me even since I moved away from AL/GA a few years ago. First real weather memory I have and still the biggest snowstorm of my life.... will never forget looking out the house and seeing snow drifts taller than me(I was so young then) in Alabama of all places lol

I cant even imagine that storm today with social media! Every airport on the east coast was closed at one point

I've watched James Spann's you tube clips from that storm over and over. Still my benchmark snowstorm to compare them all by... 5 foot drifts in my yard and watching my 80 pound Golden Retriever disappearing into them and reemerging seconds later.. Walking 2 miles to my mother's house in the snow and drifts because she had power and mine was out... I'll probably die not seeing anything close to that. Jan 2011 was the closest thing really. But that storm had zero wind and was only 8 inches of snow with temps in the mid and low 20s.

The weird thing about that storm is I went to sleep around midnight, thinking it was not going to happen, I was only 23. And waking up at 6 am and seeing a monster blizzard with 20 inches of snow on the ground. I caught the tail end of it at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back