• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The greatest arctic outbreak in US history began Feb 11th, and went to the 13th, with major snow even in FL .... so there's still a smidgen of hope.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW - that was 1899, so it's a smidgen, but it was warm leading up ....
Wasn't the Earth a lot cooler back then ? I'm sure it's much more difficult to get something like that to happen in 2017.

Wasn't the Earth a lot cooler back then ? I'm sure it's much more difficult to get something like that to happen in 2017.

The Earth is probably about 2-3 F warmer than 1899. So, if you add 2-3 F to the extremely cold temperatures of the 2/1899 outbreak, you'd still have an historically extreme cold outbreak.

... and FWIW, I'm not posting elevator music in the main thread. Life is good at Costco and here, I suppose. LOL

Why would you suggest otherwise? Wouldn't a colder winter be statistically more likely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be hard for a winter to be worse than this winter, so next year should be better by default! The models are showing a Nino developing over the summer. We sucked at winter with a raging , Godzilla Nino last winter, sucked super hard this winter, with a weak Niña, that ended up almost like enso neutral on paper. I guess I'd like to try a weak Nino and see how that goes, I think they are supposed to be cold and snowy for us!? May we have the winter next year, like Portland is having this winter!

It would be hard for a winter to be worse than this winter, so next year should be better by default! The models are showing a Nino developing over the summer. We sucked at winter with a raging , Godzilla Nino last winter, sucked super hard this winter, with a weak Niña, that ended up almost like enso neutral on paper. I guess I'd like to try a weak Nino and see how that goes, I think they are supposed to be cold and snowy for us!? May we have the winter next year, like Portland is having this winter!
Portland is further north than Minneapolis so they have that going for them. It's hard for us to compete with a city at that latitude.

Portland is further north than Minneapolis so they have that going for them. It's hard for us to compete with a city at that latitude.
plus they have a rather different accent .... and I'm sure they have no idea what grits, cornbread, black-eyed peas, fried okra and catfish are

They average less snow per winter than Dahlgohnorrea, GA

My avatar represents what most of us are doing for the 0z runs. As for Portland, I'll look it up but areas near the ocean generally don't see much snow.

Edit: They average 3-4 inches of snow a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back