• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is hands down the most beautiful snow ive ever seen. No other snow even close close, although the February 2010 snow was very pretty also.

In other news, Columbia, SC still sucks if you like snow.

Actually, some of the best snows I've witnessed in my life has been within the past decade (2010, 2011, and 2014). Heck! 5 inches probably fell during our March snowstorm earlier this year, but 2-2 1/2 inches stuck.

It was a fluke storm in some parts of the south, but it happens. Just imagine how some folks felt about being left out of some legendary southern snowstorms (ie, February 1973, The Carolina Crusher in January of 2000).

My top 5 storms:

1) December 2017
2) March 1993
3) January 1992
4) January 2011
5) January 2002

1.) ‘93 Blizzard (just for the sheeer spectacle of it all)
2.) Snow Jam ‘82 (two good snows in a week and cold air to lock it all in)
3.) January ‘11 (deformation band dumped five inches in three hours and then the cold came in for a week)
4.) December ‘17
5.) March ‘83 (8” surprise snow overnight)

1.) ‘93 Blizzard (just for the sheeer spectacle of it all)
2.) Snow Jam ‘82 (two good snows in a week and cold air to lock it all in)
3.) January ‘11 (deformation band dumped five inches in three hours and then the cold came in for a week)
4.) December ‘17
5.) March ‘83 (8” surprise snow overnight)

My top 5 (in no particular order):

1) February 2010 (nearly 9" of snow and it was all SNOW.... Heavy snow for about two hours straight)
2) January 2000 aka "The Carolina Crusher" for several North Carolinian's (caught by surprised, and ended up with basically 6")
3) January 2002 (I believe it was a day after New Year's Day.... A two-part/two-day snowstorm)
4) January 2011 (7" of snow, along with a brief period of sleet)
5) February 1989 (it was late February, and ended up with about 5")

I quit watching the panthers just to see the snow

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes it's insane... guys are pushing up piles of snow over a foot deep when tackled. That would be great!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My top 5 SN or IP, which were of course dependent on whether I was in ATL or SAV when they occurred:

1. Jan of 1977 in SAV: getting TWO accumulating snows totalling 2.0" (both 0.7"+) in one month in SAV of all places, along with it being the coldest month on record back to 1871, including a 72 hour period of 33 or colder was an experience beyond description. It was 3 colder than an average ATL Jan!
2. Feb of 1968 in SAV, when I woke up to 3.6" of totally unexpected snow as a very young kid. That was then the heaviest there in well over 100 years!
3. Feb of 1973 in SAV, when I woke up to 3.2" of totally unexpected snow as a not as young kid.
4. Jan of 1982 snowjam in ATL: this is obvious. The total SN/IP was large at 7.0" but there was a lot more to it than just the measurement.
5. Feb of 1979 4.2" IP in ATL, my first accumulating IP. I never had any idea IP could add up like that and look so white! And boy did it stick around! 4" of IP is easily comparable to 10" of SN!
6. I have to add #6 so I can include the Storm of the Century, 3/1993, my 1st blizzard (~7-8" on northside of ATL). Again, it wasn't just the large accumulation.

Big storms I missed because I was in the wrong city:
- 12/1989 SAV 3.6": this could easily have been my #1 storm
- 3/1983 ATL: 7.9", ATL largest since 1/1940! But I actually got some token IP in SAV.
- 1/2002 ATL: 4.6"
- 1/2011 ATL: 4.4" SN/IP
- 12/2017 ATL: ~7" northside

Last edited:
My top 5 SN or IP, which were of course dependent on whether I was in ATL or SAV when they occurred:

1. Jan of 1977 in SAV: getting TWO accumulating snows totalling 2.0" (both 0.7"+) in one month in SAV of all places, along with it being the coldest month on record back to 1871 ( over 3 colder than an average ATL Jan!!), including a 72 hour period of 33 or colder was an experience beyond description.
2. Feb of 1968 in SAV, when I woke up to 3.6" of totally unexpected snow as a very young kid. That was then the heaviest there in well over 100 years!
3. Feb of 1973 in SAV, when I woke up to 3.2" of totally unexpected snow as a not as young kid.
4. Jan of 1982 snowjam in ATL: this is obvious. The total SN/IP was large at 7.0" but there was a lot more to it than just the measurement.
5. Feb of 1979 4.2" IP in ATL, my first accumulating IP. I never had any idea IP could add up like that and look so white! And boy did it stick around! 4" of IP is easily comparable to 10" of SN!
6. I have to add #6 so I can include the Storm of the Century, 3/1993, my 1st blizzard (~7-8" on northside of ATL). Again, it wasn't just the large accumulation.

Big storms I missed because I was in the wrong city:
- 12/1989 SAV 3.6": this could easily have been my #1 storm
- 3/1983 ATL: 7.9", ATL largest since 1/1940! But I actually got some token IP in SAV
- 12/2017 ATL: ~7" northside
- 1/2011 ATL: 4.4" SN/IP
- 1/2002 ATL: 4.6"
Great list! I almost gave an honorable mention to the ‘73 ATL ice storm. No power for 10 days - glad I wasn’t a property owner back then! :)

Y'all keep throwing these three and four letter words around ("ice" and "snow"); not sure what they mean but are they suitable for all audiences? ... LOL ... :eek:

I actually think the snow event helped us with Atlanta and Northwest Atlanta burbs driving lol. I-75 was fine and there was much less traffic then normal...presumably (with my thoughts) because most people were like "OMG it just snowed, let's stay in", and because I think the cities were shut down (which likely took some normal traffic off the road).

There was one slow down on the 75/85 connector yesterday but otherwise it was very good traffic!

The Marietta area, almost had a cluster **** during the last storm. At one point their interstate sensors were dangerously close to 32F with pouring snow and lots of traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back