• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Storm5 link said:
gfs looks clueless with the energy in the NW. moves it Stalls it, then has no idea when or where to send it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I th8nk this is the kind of setup the UKMET do3s better with. Still, looks pretty good for here.

Storm5 link said:
gfs looks clueless with the energy in the NW. moves it Stalls it, then has no idea when or where to send it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Crazy different!  Haven't looked at the surface at all, kinda pointless.  Maybe if I drink enough to bring in the New Year I will get us a score.  Happy New Year everyone :)

WXinCanton link said:
Like Storm5 said, our energy is in Montana, lol
Because it moves the parent low in the Pacific into the West and NW before breaking off the second piece. That delay cuts the second wave into Montana. The high in the plains is also a lot stronger following the first wave, allowing the second to cut over the top instead of tucking underneath like the 12z solution.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Actually, I honestly have no clue what the 18z is even trying to do now lol...somehow it still manages to pop the second low off SE coast. Think GFS has started celebrating the New Year a little early lol

That really threw me for a loop, if "potential" second wave does happen then we're a good week away to watch this. Definitely fun times ahead

One two punch for NC it seems. Still time for that second wave to blow up into something big.

Odd run.  Lets see if that energy getting "stalled" back there so long on Wave #2 continues to show.  Only last night's 00z runs started to hold it back longer.

I know this sounds like wishcasting but I don't buy the 18z just losing the energy in Montana for a long time like that, suppression at this point yes but the energy just stalling? No. I'm gonna wait and see what the GEFS and the 00z runs do, if the stalling trend repeats then I'l buy it.

The way it's going, we might be tracking this storm the whole month of January ??

Shawn link said:
Odd run.  Lets see if that energy getting "stalled" back there so long on Wave #2 continues to show.  Only last night's 00z runs started to hold it back longer.
It's possible given the closed ridge over the north pac. As said though there is so much to be sorted out I'll take my fantasy snow and move along

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

SimeonNC link said:
I know this sounds like wishcasting but I don't buy the 18z just losing the energy in Montana for a long time like that, suppression at this point yes but the energy just stalling? No. I'm gonna wait and see what the GEFS and the 00z runs do, if the stalling trend repeats then I'l buy it.

There is a piece of energy that has to come off the North Pacific ocean that eventually forces(kicks) it to move over to Montana this run.  There was not much else around to move it out if I'm remembering the chart correctly.

Lol...I'm actually waiting to see if the 18z turns the second wave into a snowcane, since it just wants to park it off the SE coast lol

Maybe it missed its Mommy and is growing up and just wants to go back home lmao.

dccd553bd5a6fbe8e29a8f7c3a807b90.jpg

Awww...it did miss its Mommy lol. Put the bottle down Goofy.

9fb3a33cfcf69846046af578808c635e.jpg

c601ecf864660ca2e069187fa112198c.jpg

The 2nd wave slows down so much on this GFS run that it actually starts to gain latitude in the Rockies/intermountain west, starts to take on more characteristics of an Alberta Clipper than a canonical southern slider...

Back