• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

The Euro's not there yet but it's improving IMO if my short term memory hasn't also started to fail with my long term memory.

stormcentral said:
HixsonWX said:
stormcentral said:
Lol WTVC channel 9 calling for a dusting KCHA & SE TN ?

Unfortunately, that is what most of the guidance I've seen is pointing to... Even the Euro is not showing the "up to" 3 inches that WRCB is saying. I'm hoping the Hi-Res models save us, but right now I'm having a hard time getting on board with anyone that  says more than an inch for CHA. Obviously, things can still change and I hope they do!

EDIT: out of the American models I've seen so far, the NAM 4km is the big winner for Chattanooga with a whopping 0.725"...

6 members of the GEFS mean give us snow.

Yeah, there are ensemble members giving us love and I like to see them, but still, look at the ensemble mean and the op.

I'm waiting to see the 12z Euro map for CHA...

Just saw it. That doesn't get us over the 1" hump, either...

Not a forecast from me, but 2-4 inches between modeling/blends still looks possible for CAE. I may be a bit generous with that idea though.

Wherever the heavy precipitation with just the right temperatures set up will be important between 0.5-1inch of actual snow and heavier amounts from there. I feel a sweet spot could actually be around Florence. Still a bit early and the models are still shifting temps & moisture axis.

Have a Euro precip map for southeast please?

Webberweather53 said:
Phew that was a close for RDU lol...

Fine line for sure but somebody close to that line is going to get dumped on....  but when isn't NC on the dividing line?

Storm5 said:
precip was a little further north this run I'm my area . I'll take since the euro has been the furthest south and shutting us out run after run

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm wrong but looked like qpf overall shifted ever so slightly SE but b/c it was colder some areas still end up with great totals

GFS has been rock solid over the past several runs and the other models have not been so consistent. After seeing today's EURO 12Z run and the waffling CMC/NAM I have a lot more confidence in the GFS/GEFS solutions. Low may tick farther NW and as others have stated on this board, I think QPF will be a little more robust and the precip shield will be a little more N/NW when all said and done. The cold temps will be there - not too worried about that. I live in Atlanta and I see 1-3" around the city, heavier amounts on south and east sides of town. Not out of the realm of possibility that KATL could get 5/6".

My odds: 70% chance ATL gets 1-3"
30% chance ATL gets more 3-6"
10% chance we get nothing (could be too warm or moisture stays to our south).

FFC should issue a WSW tomorrow based on the information available as of now. It could still change, but trends as we get closer are encouraging.

Euro is being just as consistent as the GFS. GFS moves a little north, Euro moves a little south. Both seem to be expanding the precip, too. Meet in the middle and I'll be happy.

Storm5 said:
precip was a little further north this run I'm my area . I'll take since the euro has been the furthest south and shutting us out run after run

When I toggle between hours 84 (12z) and 96 (0Z) - I see less total precip for JeffCo on north in AL.  What am I not looking at that shows us with a tick "up" in precip?  I see the shift south but it appears to me that the precip heads south as well?

Posted elsewhere so will link here. Great precip through this area, just a bit warm:

Today's 12z On the Left. Last night's 00z on the Right.

Para GFS looks like the Euro.. not good

Xtreme weather said:
Have a Euro precip map for southeast please?
12z...heaviest axis is a litter north of 00z
4ed14bc4b488a20e5b98a08b657360f4.jpg

Shawn said:
Posted elsewhere so will link here.  Great precip through this area, just a bit warm:

Today's 12z On the Left.  Last night's 00z on the Right.

Yea even the local people have said temps shouldn't be an issue. I hope they are right.

SnowFlowXXL said:
it looked like that last night ....Nothing new

I'm not sleeping tonight,. I'm off of work for 2 days

Seriously? You can't make this stuff up. If anything the trends (minus the gfs) have been much less aggressive for the last 24 hrs. But yeah sure.

Storm5 said:
SnowFlowXXL said:
it looked like that last night ....Nothing new

yea my bad, for some reason i thought it was a decent hit but appears it wasn't

Much less snow for mountains/foothills of NC. Hoping for a dusting here! I don't think 2" is possible on the euro imo.

lol pretty much no precip at all in NW GA on the Euro

Back