• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Storm5 said:
all in
3b6e239f7e56bd77c517f23baff5eabd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey can you post the ice map, there's a reason it showing 1-3 in mby

We are roughly 48 hours out before the system is in the Gulf and beginning to effect western portions of the deep south. Surely we should begin seeing the models fine tuning to a general idea. Gfs has my attention, and the rgem extrapolated out looks really nice down stream. Hopefully the rest of the 12z guidance can bring more confidence.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Today's models will "tell the tale" as far as how they trend....If they trend together at all

metwannabe said:
SD said:
Brick Tamland said:
And now the totals go down here and the NW trend stops. Just great.

I like where we are, I would rather play in real snow vs 240 hr snow

+100000  plus if it misses us I'd much rather it miss south so some of those that don't get in on winter weather as often can enjoy it, even our SC member(s) that love to hate on us NC peeps.

no joke!  its all good Brick...EURO will come in and stick to its guns...lol

Also, can I just throw this out there please? Since when is a potential 1-3 or maybe 2-3" snow strip across the deep south not a big deal?? I am sorry, if there is even an inch of snow, thats a big deal. I think some people, and this is not pointed at anyone, fail to realize that 2-3" of snow is a MAJOR impact on the deep south. I know the mtns its not as big of a deal, but if CLT or RDU got 2-3" that is still a big deal......ok, rant over.

StoneMtnWx said:
We are roughly 48 hours out before the system is in the Gulf and beginning to effect western portions of the deep south. Surely we should begin seeing the models fine tuning to a general idea.  Gfs has my attention, and the rgem extrapolated out looks really nice down stream. Hopefully the rest of the 12z guidance can bring more confidence.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I'd offer that we've had a pretty good "general idea" for a couple days now. Trying to fine tune amounts >24hrs out around here is a crap shoot at best. GFS has been rock solid with the track and weaker/suppressed look run after run. I MO it's about to score a major coup over the ECMWF which is a good thing.

SnowrockinGA said:
HixsonWX said:
Looks like the RGEM might be about to show the Tennessee Valley some love???...

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_16.png
 what is that 1010 low in the gulf?

Pretty sure that is our low for this threat. This is only 48 hours out, though.

Deltadog03 said:
Also, can I just throw this out there please?  Since when is a potential 1-3 or maybe 2-3" snow strip across the deep south not a big deal??  I am sorry, if there is even an inch of snow, thats a big deal.  I think some people, and this is not pointed at anyone, fail to realize that 2-3" of snow is a MAJOR impact on the deep south.  I know the mtns its not as big of a deal, but if CLT or RDU got 2-3" that is still a big deal......ok, rant over.

x10000000000000000000

Upsloping is really what helps the totals across NE GA and W NC mtns....it's also why my side and Chattanooga is in a bad spot due to the downsloping on this side of the mtns as the system passes.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Delta...it's especially a big deal with the surface Temps that are pronged and even the antecedent conditions starting tomorrow AM. We will definitely see major travel disruption issues somewhere in the deep South.

Deltadog03 said:
Also, can I just throw this out there please?  Since when is a potential 1-3 or maybe 2-3" snow strip across the deep south not a big deal??  I am sorry, if there is even an inch of snow, thats a big deal.  I think some people, and this is not pointed at anyone, fail to realize that 2-3" of snow is a MAJOR impact on the deep south.  I know the mtns its not as big of a deal, but if CLT or RDU got 2-3" that is still a big deal......ok, rant over.

Many times 2-4 inches has kept kids out of school for nearly a week.

Deltadog03 said:
Also, can I just throw this out there please? Since when is a potential 1-3 or maybe 2-3" snow strip across the deep south not a big deal?? I am sorry, if there is even an inch of snow, thats a big deal. I think some people, and this is not pointed at anyone, fail to realize that 2-3" of snow is a MAJOR impact on the deep south. I know the mtns its not as big of a deal, but if CLT or RDU got 2-3" that is still a big deal......ok, rant over.

I am with you dog. Everyone keeps saying "bad" runs with 1-3 inches. 1-3 inches is awesome! Especially if it stays around for a couple of days. Bring me 2 inches any day.

SnowFlowXXL said:
Deltadog03 said:

x10000000000000000000

Definitely. We all saw what the storm in 2014 did to Atlanta. Fortunately, the meteorologists around here have already expressed that there is the potential for accumilating snow in Atlanta, so people at least know something may be coming.

Also, Atlanta stays in the mid to lower 20s all day Monday per the GFS. Sends the area into the low teens Monday morning as well.

Deltadog03 said:

Atlanta shut down over 1 inch of snow. Nuff said

The 12z CMC looks more amped with this disturbance out west...

Good trends this morning, I agree Chris 1-3 2-3 is a very big deal, especially when your tracking it from Texas to east coast.

Webberweather53 said:
The 12z CMC looks more amped with this disturbance out west...

It had promise but really flattened out. The run looked colder, but was very gfs like

Back